Can of worms - protective filter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know this has been discussed ad nausium. However, I want answers from working pros and amateurs not carrying their gear in two bags with triple lens caps. 😉

I’m a daily shooter of personal documentary photography of my family life with M10R BP and mainly 2.8/28 Elmarit ASPH v2 and 2/35 Summicron ASPH v1. I never keep my camera in a bag - always on shoulder strap - and no lens hood for keeping compact. Lens cap only used when packed in camera bag for travelling.

So in daily photography with front element on lenses fully exposed - question: Should I use protective filters or are front elements resistant enough to relax, enjoy, shoot and create memories?

Best,

Mads

Outdoors I always have a filter mounted. Always. It's a point which is not even remotely up for question IMX and IMO.

Indoors in the studio is completely the opposite. I never use a filter in such a situation.

Philip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcpallesen said:

I know this has been discussed ad nausium. However, I want answers from working pros and amateurs not carrying their gear in two bags with triple lens caps. 😉

I’m a daily shooter of personal documentary photography of my family life with M10R BP and mainly 2.8/28 Elmarit ASPH v2 and 2/35 Summicron ASPH v1. I never keep my camera in a bag - always on shoulder strap - and no lens hood for keeping compact. Lens cap only used when packed in camera bag for travelling.

So in daily photography with front element on lenses fully exposed - question: Should I use protective filters or are front elements resistant enough to relax, enjoy, shoot and create memories?

Best,

Mads

i never use bags.i always have a filter on all of them  except LTM lenses

Yes, ad nauseam.  Do as you wish.

Over the decades, I have always used a filter on my lenses, and since in film days I practically only used black and white film it meant usually a yellow or K2 filter on the lens, with a green or red filter somewhere near. At night or if loaded with  colour film, then a UV or Skylight filter would be on. Lens shades would take the brunt of the occasional bump against a hard surface.  Still keep with this method (minus the coloured filters ) on digital cameras. The only lens I do not mount a clear filter on is the 90 Macro-Elmar, the shade is deep enough to give adequate protection to the front element.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since the 80’s, have never used a protective filter on M lenses; only occasional colored filters for b/w (film and Monochrom). But I do use a hood and have always carried insurance. No instances of front element damage.  

With SL zooms (on the SL2), however, I typically do the opposite; no hood but a clear filter.  The SL hoods are monstrous and generally not necessary.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

I live in an area that is home to several shops that specialize in camera repair. On a regular basis a customer brings in a lens with a smashed filter. Mostly, it’s a matter of getting the ring out, checking the lens for damage then selling the customer a new filter. I always use a filter and a hood. 

• Like 1

Outside I always have a protection filter on my lenses. It is there to protect from rain, dirt, finger marks and reduces the need for cleaning the front lens. In the field, when the filter get too dirty for the blower, I change it and wait until I'm home to clean it properly.

Yet, I believe it is only rarely a protection against chocs as most would do mechanical and optical alignment damage to the lens with or without a filter : drop a lens with or without filter, the result will be mostly the same from an optical point of view (you may be lucky and avoid marring the lens front ring but this does not avoid the internal problems...

• Like 1

I like to use a filter when possible. It's a no brainer on vintage glass such as the collapsible Summicron, where the glass is oh so prone to damage. 

But on my modern stuff I do the same thing,  filter on.  I just know myself too well. I go outdoors for nearly all my pictures, camera thrown in a bag or over the shoulder. There's dirt, fingerprints, dog nose boops all over what WOULD'VE been my front element if no filter was there. Example, I went out bar hopping with my M4 and 35 FLE. Had a wonderful time and took many pictures of the night. After waking up the next morning, I look at my camera to see there's crap all over the filter. Didn't even once look at it from the night before. I don't doubt the modern coating of my FLE would be resistant to this, but I sure felt better wiping crud off a $40 filter and NOT my expensive lens. 

Edited by Mech-Dragon

7 hours ago, mcpallesen said:

I know this has been discussed ad nausium. However, I want answers from working pros

You should never be cutting corners with filters.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

10 hours ago, mcpallesen said:

Should I use protective filters or are front elements resistant enough to relax, enjoy, shoot and create memories?

Damaging a filter is not cheap but damaging a front element will be far costlier. Whether you can enjoy using expensive equipment depends mostly on your response to risk, nothing else.

5 hours ago, Al Brown said:

You should never be cutting corners with filters.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I am not sure what has been cut here, but it does not look like corners! 😀

• Haha 2

I have filters and lens hoods on all my lenses unless there's a reason why I can't attach them.  I really don't understand why this question needs to be asked at all, if you want to risk damage to a lens or you aren't bothered about reducing the possibility of flare as much as possible, then take the risk and come back later with a new thread to whinge about the cost of repairs. 

No one is ever likely to say "Told you so!"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mcpallesen said:

Should I use protective filters or are front elements resistant enough to relax, enjoy, shoot and create memories?

There is only one way to find out. Personally, I am not really interested to test this so for me it is hood (for protection against flare) plus filter on all lenses (for protection against elements and kids’ fingers). I much prefer cleaning filters than lenses’ front elements. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mcpallesen said:

So in daily photography with front element on lenses fully exposed - question: Should I use protective filters or are front elements resistant enough ...

It all depends on what you mean with "enough"

This question is perennial. It goes around and around and around. I've seen many lenses with damaged front elements and I personally have several damaged front filters, but I do not have any damaged front elements as a result of using filters. To me it is base common sense that filters protect the lens, whilst not using them creates a higher risk of damaging the front element. As I said before, this question is about people's personal acceptance of risk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2