Lens with a missing ring around the front element

JoshuaRothman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just bought a used 35mm Summicron ASPH v1 from B&H. The lens is in good working order and the images are excellent. The only thing about it is that it's missing the ring around the front element that says "LEICA 35 SUMMICRON ASPH," etc. The black metal ring with the white lettering. I guess that this missing ring is part of the reason that the lens was so cheap—but I wasn't expecting it to be missing, as it wasn't described that way on the site.

Two questions. (1) Does anyone know of a way for me to buy this missing part? (2) Would you keep the lens, or send it back? I worry a bit about its resale value, and about whether it could have other defects (though so far I haven't noticed any).

I'm sure the ring can be replaced. I do not think it is available as a part for consumer purchase and DIY replacement.

Among other things, that ring includes the factory engraving for the serial number, and thus was unique to that exact lens copy.

And figuring out the correct S/N to put on the replacement ring may be problematic. You probably need to contact LEICA NJ (as a start) to see if they or Leica Germany will be able to track that down. At one point Leitz/Leica recorded all or part of the S/N inside the lens as well, but I don't know if that is still done.

Given that this is a fairly common lens, I'd probably just return it for cause, and buy a "complete" one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoshuaRothman said:

it wasn't described that way on the site. [...] Would you keep the lens, or send it back?

Wrong description. Who knows what other things the seller has "forgotten"? I would send the lens back with no regret.

• Like 1