Leica Q2 ( A noisy camera ! ) Your views please

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I’m thinking of buying a Q2 as an upgrade to my Fuji X100V.

The Q2 has in the main had fantastic reviews.

One thing bothers me however.  I have read several reviews some of which state that the Q2 has poor low light performance and poor noise performance.   Indeed one review advised that they could see noise in images ( viewed at 100% ) at ISO 1000 !  This seems somewhat strange !!

For those who own a Q2 - Can you please advise of your experience in particular the alleged noise issue ?

Thanks 

Adam

Here is one comparison of noise for different cameras (same output size).

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=leica_q2&attr13_1=fujifilm_x100v&attr13_2=nikon_z7ii&attr13_3=nikon_d850&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=1600&attr16_1=1600&attr16_2=1600&attr16_3=1600&attr126_2=1&normalization=compare&widget=1&x=-0.07413082880210911&y=0.6580222560600467

Q2’s noise characteristics is fine.

It does not make sense to compare at 100% view. Any higher resolution sensor will have more noise than a lower resolution sensor of similarly advanced technology. For practical reasons, noise is mostly compared at same output size.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AdamMark said:

Hello,

One thing bothers me however.  I have read several reviews some of which state that the Q2 has poor low light performance and poor noise performance.   Indeed one review advised that they could see noise in images ( viewed at 100% ) at ISO 1000 !  This seems somewhat strange !!

For those who own a Q2 - Can you please advise of your experience in particular the alleged noise issue ?

Thanks 

Adam

Adam, I've had my Q2 only a short time. It is noisier at higher ISOs than my full frame A1 but not by a lot (for me). I limit both my Q2 & A1 to ISO 3200 for my IQ preferences. My wife has the same Q2 47MP sensor in her Lumix S1R for the last couple years and pushes it hard with her bird photography. I think it does fine up to 6400, she'll go up to 12,800 often because she has to and it's not great but does OK. BTW, on all my color cameras I routinely use Topaz DeNoise above 800, so noise is a relative thing with the modern software that's available.

Below is a link to the DPReview article on the Q2 Image Quality tests. I compared the 3200 ISO RAWS of your X100V, Q2, Sony A1 and A7R4-it's Leica M11 sensor also. I ranked the two Sonys a tie , the Q2 in 3rd and the Fuji 4th. FWIW I liked the noise character of the Fuji, maybe it's that X-Trans design 😉 Do your own test and see what you think.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leica-q2-review/5

Edited by goodbokeh
  • Thanks 1

I upgraded from an x100v and an xt-3 and, for my photography, could not be happier. I do not ever shoot above 6400 iso but any apparent noise issue is absolutely not an issue for me.

The Q2 is, to me, a massive step up in build quality and pleasure of use. That makes me take more photographs and that means less missed opportunities. 

Fuji no longer has any appeal to me. 

Edited by Marc B-C
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, AdamMark said:

Hello,

Thanks 

Adam

There are a lot of folks who switched from an X100V to a Q2, including myself, and I've never really heard anyone complain about noise. Get your exposure right when you take the shot, and you'll be OK.

Everyone's high ISO tolerance is different -I don't shoot above 1600- so you're sure to hear someone complain about something at some point. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the Q2 and SL2S, and the Q2 is noisier. I will run the SL2S to ISO 25,000, and the Q2 to 12,500 (both are noisy at those levels, but that's my limit for usability). I judge noise at non-enlarged view on my monitor, not 100%. I also prefer the noise pattern of the SL2S, which makes a difference to the noise levels you find acceptable.

Edited by LocalHero1953

I do not find the noise level of the Q2 acceptable above 1600, the noise pattern looks really really ugly to my eyes. This is one of the reasons why I switched to a SL2s.

That said, a pass with Topaz or similar programs will improve the final output to acceptable levels, so at the end of the day I wouldn't consider the noise issue so dramatic. Granted, if you do a lot of low light shooting, then maybe there are other options that are better suited to your use case.

• Like 1

Both the SL2 and Q2 have issues with noise in the higher ISO ranges, (It's also my understanding they share the same sensor). 

Is it excessive? 4 or 5 years ago, compared to the Nikon D810 I would have said yes, (I understand the D810 has less resolution). However with modern noise reduction software from companies like Topaz, I have stopped worrying as much about noise.  I still use bracketing with most of my shooting with both cameras and never use jpgs from either camera.  Both Lightroom and Capture One IMO give a great start on the raw files.  

Can you take a ISO 100 image and push the shadows 2.5 stops without noise, I can't.  Can I with other cameras yes. 

But it still doesn't stop me from using both the Q2 and SL2 most of the time as I just prefer the interfaces of both cameras, and love the optics. 

Would I love to see a SL3 with the M11 sensor, yes. 

Paul 

I agree that Topaz does a good job with noise reduction, but I would still rather have a low noise image to start with so I neither have to edit in a separate program from Lightroom, nor do I end up with a non-destructive edited image file.

As to pushing shadows 2.5 stops from ISO 100, I have to say it is not a problem I have ever noticed - though I don't know if that is because the result has been acceptable or because I have never tried to boost shadows hard at ISO 100.

Edited by LocalHero1953

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the Q2 for two years.  If you spend a lot of time at ISO 3200 or above, you would not be happy with it.  Especially if you have to open up shadows a lot.  My Nikon D750 fairs a lot better, and my new Z7ii does even better, and with similar MP count to the Q2.  I wish Leica would adopt the Sony sensor.  It is far superior to any other commercially available sensor in my opinion.  

Now, that said, I enjoy my Q2 way more than my D750 for many reasons.  Just got the Z7, so am having fun with it, but the Q2 will probably remain my favorite unless I need something wider than 28 or much longer than 75 or for real macro work when I attach my Leica 100 2.8 APO to the Nikons.  The Q2 crop is really very good.  If you can nail a good exposure at high ISO then it is not too bad, but any shadow opening it really suffers compared to the Nikons.  I would put it almost on par with my friend's Canon, however.  Canon should adopt Sony sensors, too, but I am glad they have not.  Gives me something to rub my friend's face in. Ha.  All in good humor of course, since he is a better photographer than I am even with that handicap.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There are lots of reviews all over the internet extolling the virtues (and shortcomings) of each of these cameras.

Here is one:

http://www.snapchick.com/2020/06/fujifilm-x100v-vs-leica-q2-round-1/

I have owned them both and have settled on the X100v. Not because it's a "better" camera, but based on what I was looking for, it ticked all of the boxes. I also own a Leica M10-R and a Fujifilm X-H1, so I can say that I personally use and appreciate the differences between both systems and respective brands. They will both take excellent photos, that I can guarantee... 

I settled on the X100v for the following reasons:

1.) The straight out of the camera jpegs on the Fuji are simply awesome 

2.) I like the Film simulations (Classic Chrome and Classic Negative) Fujifilm has really captured the essence of their film stocks in this feature

3.) I am a 35mm sort of photographer and this new (23mm - 35mm equivalent) lens is much improved over the previous version

4.) The WCL and TCL auxiliary lenses are a nice option

5.) The 100v is around 20% of the cost of the Q2

That being said, the Q2

1.) The build quality (Made in Germany) and weather sealing is 'probably' superior, but the Made in Japan X100v is no slouch either!

2.) If you like the 28mm focal length (full-frame) the 28mm Summilux is hard to beat

3.) You can actually focus the 28mm lens manually, if you wish, and it also has a Macro setting

4.) Better battery life, but the batteries are also 5x more than the Fujifilm NP-W126S batteries

5.) The 40mp sensor of the Q2 will capture more detail and will allow for cropping

6.) The Q2 also has crop modes of 35, 50 and 75mm (reducing the resolution) of you can crop in post

7.) The Q2 is a 'Gateway Drug' as it will undoubtedly whet your appetite for a Leica interchangeable lens camera, such as the M10 or M11 (it did for me!!)

This is obviously NOT a review. It is hard to go wrong with either camera. If you have the funds and the Q2's differences align with your needs or style of photography, it will not disappoint, but for an everyday travel and take anywhere camera, the x100v is my choice - at least for now 😉

-Brad

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/12/2022 at 5:21 PM, AdamMark said:

...  I have read several reviews some of which state that the Q2 has poor low light performance and poor noise performance.   Indeed one review advised that they could see noise in images ( viewed at 100% ) at ISO 1000 !  This seems somewhat strange !!

Thanks 

Adam

As a Q2 owner: Too noisy @ISO 1000?  Hogwash, says me.  That has not been my experience.

I have had good results with my Q2 at ISO 6400 with some discerning processing in post. 

I have not done test prints @ISO 6400 so it could be that 3200 is the upper limit for making exhibit quality prints.  I can't say that with certainty, though. 

At 6400, the images are certainly viable for electronic exhibiting - and I am demanding when it comes to image quality.

Edited by Herr Barnack

On 7/25/2022 at 7:39 PM, SrMi said:

If the noise at >=ISO3200 bothers you, I suggest running DxO PureRAW as the first step. Its DeepPRIME noise reduction works well and generates a linear DNG (a good starting point for editing).

I concur. 

Since adopting DXO in my workflow a couple years ago I've gone back and reprocessed images in my archive going back to 2010, its a great match with the q2 (high ISO or not). My A7's are so good I can just ride shutter speed and auto ISO, but the q2 is a slightly different animal and I think DXO pureraw is a useful tool.

NO client ever comments on noise. Only photographers pixel peeping. It's about the same as the X100V in that regard, as I've used it for a few events. It's not the reason one would buy this camera, though I use mine in sometimes darker abandoned buildings and have made great friends with it. The glass.....it's king. 

Edited by Farrell Gallery
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Farrell Gallery said:

NO client ever comments on noise. Only photographers pixel peeping. It's about the same as the X100V in that regard, as I've used it for a few events. It's not the reason one would buy this camera, though I use mine in sometimes darker abandoned buildings and have made great friends with it. The glass.....it's king. 

The small, fast, contrasty, sharp prime lenses of the M line deliver a unique rendering - particularly when a person puts in the time to get to know the lenses he/she has to work with. 

An example is the 90mm Summicron APO.  I have shot a lot with this lens - music concerts and Buddhist monks during prayers and ceremonies.  I have learned which shutter speeds and apertures perform the best in terms of sharpness, shallow depth of field and out of focus areas in the background.  The results that come from this lens are phenomenal.  This lens creates a visual fingerprint that is distinctly different from images shot with slower zoom lenses. 

From what I have seen, much of the same applies to the M lenses of shorter focal lengths; each lens has its own unique rendering, which is maximized when shot at or near maximum aperture. The Noctiluxes and Summiluxes are paragons of the shallow DOF/bokeh ethos, but other M lenses can create unique images, too.

At close range, the Summicrons produce a beautiful rendering when shot at f/2.  Even my 50mm f/2.4 Summarit creates a nice rendering when shot at maximum aperture up close. 

The key is to work a lot with a given lens and learn what it is capable of.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I returned my Q2 for a Q2 monochrome because I didn't like the noise levels at high ISOs (6400) on the Q2. I can use my Nikon Z9 on auto ISO to 12,800 without thinking about it very much. The Q2 monochrome is exemplary in its high ISO performance. I have now acquired another Q2 and am now finding my way through various noise reducing programs to improve the Q2's high ISO noise performance. For my taste the Topaz Ai program produces skin tones which are too plastic unless manipulated a lot from the auto settings. The best I have found is DxO Pure Raw which I will likely buy. Frankly when the Q2 was being reviewed for release I am surprised that Leica would release such a nicely designed camera with such a noisy at high ISOs sensor. Its performance is far far behind the latest standards. A comparison photo of my friend Hans making dinner - at iso 6,400 - shot in RAW and one sample processed in DxO  - the other unprocessed.

Howard

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3