Q2 Reporter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, im a M10r user and the better half has always been interested in photography and has shown a huge interest in the Reporter.

Who has 1 and can you tell me about the wear if any from the kevlar ?

I know its more than the standard q2, but im more than happy for her to have a Reporter.

Thanks Rob  

I had a Q2, which I sold and immediately regretted. I bought a Reporter a few weeks ago (how I explained this to my wife is another, less happy, story).

So far the kevlar is unmarked and it does make the camera significantly "grippier"

I really like the finish to the body, it's a lovely matt green and much less prone to fingermarks. The camera definitely looks low key compared to the regular model. A lot of people remarked on the original as they recognised the name which made me a bit self conscious. The only comments I've had on the Reporter are, "that's a nice camera, I use an iPhone" and, "why have you got a green camera"

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Roba said:

Hi all, im a M10r user and the better half has always been interested in photography and has shown a huge interest in the Reporter.

Who has 1 and can you tell me about the wear if any from the kevlar ?

I know its more than the standard q2, but im more than happy for her to have a Reporter.

Thanks Rob  

Rob, I just recently purchased a regular Q2. I could have gone with the Reporter version but I decided against it. I researched the Fred Miranda Buy & Sell site and looked at multiple mint copies of the Q2 Reporter. The Kevlar material often showed matting and small white balls of fuzz on the perimeter which I didn't like. Some people like this kind of patina, like black paint wearing through to brass. Also, since the Kevlar fades to green with UV exposure, using a half case could cause "tan lines". So, the Kevlar just made it too fussy for me. I do like the green color though.

Doug

• Like 4

My only disappointment with my Q2 Reporter is that the Kevlar hasn't faded appreciably yet.  Never used with a case - just worn on a strap bandolier style.  Not really fuzzing to any appreciable degree either.  The only thing that concerns me about this camera are the reports of the strap lugs becoming unattached.  That looks scary.

And if it should happen and Leica doesn't take care of it - that would be poor form indeed.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, T25UFO said:

Probably even better!

I fully agree @T25UFO !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

(I couldnot resist to repost this pic :) )

• Like 3

I’ve only had mine a couple of months and see no sign of wear or fading. If it goes fuzzy I shall give it a shave - I have one of those electric doofers you get for de-balling knitted sweaters. I’m definitely a fan of the Reporter colours and grippiness. 

• Like 5

Well after reading all the replies and doing a bit more research with google.

The better half has ordered the Reporter, according to the shop its the last 1 coming/arrived of only 5 total in New Zealand.

I think she will have a lot of fun with it and the shop has a Reporter monochrome in stock as well, what a pair that would make haha.

Cheers for the advice.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Roba said:

I think she will have a lot of fun with it

The one unexpected response I had to my Q2 was just how liberating and fun it was not to have to think "what lens should I use?", and "do I set A, S or M mode?" because switching between them is a natural use of the aperture ring and shutter speed dial, not a separate dial or menu setting. AF/MF choice is a similar natural use of the focus ring.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, EmmaAQ2 said:

Thank you for all the advice, I am the lucky lady who got the Q2 Reporter!  I am a proper newbie to photography and I will be putting pictures into the gallery and would be more than happy to receive constructive criticism from all you lovey knowledgeable forum members 😄

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 2

vor 3 Stunden schrieb EmmaAQ2:

Thank you for all the advice, I am the lucky lady who got the Q2 Reporter!  I am a proper newbie to photography and I will be putting pictures into the gallery and would be more than happy to receive constructive criticism from all you lovey knowledgeable forum members 😄

Great. Another couple that shares the same hobby and having an M and a Q. Since my wife has the Q we are out a lot together with our cameras. But still I am the only responsible for Lightroom 🤪

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 5:37 PM, Roba said:

Well after reading all the replies and doing a bit more research with google.

The better half has ordered the Reporter, according to the shop its the last 1 coming/arrived of only 5 total in New Zealand.

I think she will have a lot of fun with it and the shop has a Reporter monochrome in stock as well, what a pair that would make haha.

Cheers for the advice.

I sold my Q2 and bought the Q2 Reporter late August in NZ. I think Lacklands were able to get three more, and they also said no more coming, but based on your story who knows haha. I actually prefer the look of it to any of the other special editions, (ala 007 or Daniel Craig x Greg Williams versions) even though they were more expensive and more limited.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The Kevlar of my Q2R has frayed at the edges where the trim meets the metal. Not that attractive. I just posted my own photo and experience with this. I’ve used the camera for just under a year and didn’t expect this kind of wear, given that I treat my equipment well, though not with kid gloves. It is grippy, and has its own military aesthetic, so I’m happy with that. 

• Like 1