M11 completely frozen with red light near key pad

Mac Sinclair

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On it’s 2nd outing my M11 froze. I am meticulous with my equipment and the SD card was new formatted in camera, the camera is running the latest firmware. 1.4.

Removing the SD, taking out the fully charged battery and reinserting it makes no difference, the red light to the right of the screen stays on when the camera is off. The only function I get from the camera is it will automatically fire off a few shots on continuous shooting if the shutter button is depressed. I have tried leaving the battery out for 24 hours, still the same.

So Leica have said they’ll replace it. 

This occurred 1 day after the only other person I know who bought an M11 said his had “gone berserk” with a host of issues. His is being returned for a replacement tomorrow too.

hopefully the replacement will be trouble free like my old SL… but any thoughts on what this could be would be much appreciated as my confidence is dented.

Also possible, but we have seen batteries from Indonesia, India makes plenty of electronics, we have no idea where Leica, Panasonic and their suppliers source their components.  Let's settle on Asia.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mac Sinclair said:

On it’s 2nd outing my M11 froze. I am meticulous with my equipment and the SD card was new formatted in camera, the camera is running the latest firmware. 1.4.

Removing the SD, taking out the fully charged battery and reinserting it makes no difference, the red light to the right of the screen stays on when the camera is off. The only function I get from the camera is it will automatically fire off a few shots on continuous shooting if the shutter button is depressed. I have tried leaving the battery out for 24 hours, still the same.

So Leica have said they’ll replace it. 

This occurred 1 day after the only other person I know who bought an M11 said his had “gone berserk” with a host of issues. His is being returned for a replacement tomorrow too.

hopefully the replacement will be trouble free like my old SL… but any thoughts on what this could be would be much appreciated as my confidence is dented.

Something you might try is with SD card removed, reformat the internal memory and then turn off and pull the battery.