Film MP camera may be coming to the end of production?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 minutes ago, Sunyforreal said:

1/4000 shutter would be sick and totally doable. Just throw in the shutter they already use on the digital Leica’s. I seen a Frankenstein Leica recently with a Nikon F3 shutter in it. There’s a video of it on YouTube somewhere, and it’s just as quiet as the cloth shutter is. 

Edit: was just thinking a film version of the Leica Q would be super freaking cool and interesting. Maybe bring the aperture to f/2 to make it slightly more compact, and add a flash. So I guess something like a Fuji Natura Black but with a slightly narrower lens and where the fastest f/stop isn’t locked into automatic mode or what film ISO you’re using to let you have more full control. 

A film Q basically would be a new Minilux/CM and that would be very cool, as well as not compete w the MP.

6 hours ago, oldwino said:

Do you think labor costs are significantly less in Portugal?

When I worked in Portugal the costs were indeed significantly less than I was used to in the EU. I don’t know the levels in Germany so I can’t compare. Still, none of this changes the fact that Leica film cameras are manufactured in Portugal and merely put in their lovely boxes in Germany. :)

On 9/2/2022 at 11:24 PM, ianman said:

When I worked in Portugal the costs were indeed significantly less than I was used to in the EU. I don’t know the levels in Germany so I can’t compare. Still, none of this changes the fact that Leica film cameras are manufactured in Portugal and merely put in their lovely boxes in Germany. :)

This video from the Leica factory in Wetzlar shows the film Ms being made there, not Portugal.

15 minutes ago, Huss said:

This video from the Leica factory in Wetzlar shows the film Ms being made there, not Portugal.

Yes but they are M7s and even R9s that have not been made for a number of years. Old film?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, Matlock said:

Yes but they are M7s and even R9s that have not been made for a number of years. Old film?

M7 last made in 2018.  The video also shows MPs being made.

Edited by Huss

58 minutes ago, Huss said:

M7 last made in 2018.  The video also shows MPs being made.

The R9 which is shown on the video was discontinued in 2009 and production was still at Solms then (The M7, MP and R9 were all first produced in 2002), so the video was not made at Wetzlar but could be a promotion film made of various clips over a number of years and locations maybe. Interesting none the less.

On 9/2/2022 at 10:22 PM, Sunyforreal said:

...was just thinking a film version of the Leica Q would be super freaking cool and interesting...

If they make a fixed-lens film camera, might as well make it medium format 😎