Film MP camera may be coming to the end of production?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

40 minutes ago, wattsy said:

I'm not sure what your point is? The Leica MP was announced/introduced in March 2003, at PMA in Las Vegas.

Ian,

I have no point at all.

Ending or not MP building is neutral for me.

Maybe time for Leica to move on with another offering of more modern M, even offering only M-A why not (regular and  Ti).

I had many times MP, and those are just a camera like other Ms that I happily use, not more & not less (or plus built-in meter comparing to M-A/M4).

Posted (edited)

Use the “Meßsucher as it'll never end until your hands won't listen to your command. Dr.Q shall get all the Leading edge weapons for your noble mission. Smile, don't worry, be happy!

Edited by Erato

3 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Maybe time for Leica to move on with another offering of more modern M

They discontinued the more modern M7 just a couple of years ago and from what we can see demand for the MP is still strong enough to warrant its continuing production. So why offer only the M-A, irrespective of finishes. From where I’m sitting it makes no sense but of course I don’t know all the facts that Leica HQ does.

I traded my M6TTL for a brand new MP today. July 2022.The Leica Online store had no stock and when I asked them when the MP will be available the reply was no ETA. The same on many worldwide Leica stores. 

It seems dealers are getting drip fed supplies that are not advertised. My Dealer said my new MP had been in the store for 4 days! He only had one.

He also mentioned that Leica was possibly planning to reintroduce the M6 because Leica have been surprised at the prices second hand M6's are getting. I wanted to sell the M6 while it was still working. Here in NZ getting a CLA is impossible so sending overseas and waiting months is the only option. Not being able to repair the light meter if it became faulty was also a concern.

First impressions: Slightly smaller and seems lighter than M6. Rangefinder brighter. Very smooth and an absolute dream. I loved my M6 but realistically the MP is better. I was concerned that the flash was not TTL like M6TTL but the SF20 Flash I have works fine. Works on apertures  f2.5 f5.6  and f11 which is all good.

It is really nice to have a  new camera that has a warranty. Buying 2nd hand on Ebay is fraught. It's all in the photos. Beware of an extra photo that doesn't seem to show much or is on an odd angle. That is the seller showing a defect so that they avoid liability when you claim misrepresentation.

Hopefully the rumours that the MP is to be discontinued are just supply and demand production issues. The Australia Online store is taking 10% deposits for November 2022 which is a positive sign. Regards.

• 1 month later...

I think Leica cannot afford to make MP and M-A cameras anymore, even at the +$5000 price point. Too much specialized labor for the Germans (too costly).
So they are going to sub out the construction of a new M camera to someone else who can do it cheaper. Who, I don’t know. 

It is really the end of Leica the camera manufacturer as we know it. 

1 hour ago, oldwino said:

I think Leica cannot afford to make MP and M-A cameras anymore, even at the +$5000 price point. Too much specialized labor for the Germans (too costly).
So they are going to sub out the construction of a new M camera to someone else who can do it cheaper. Who, I don’t know. 

It is really the end of Leica the camera manufacturer as we know it. 

From what I know, MP & M-A will be continually made, no reliable sources say Leica will discontinue these 2 tyles of film camera.

I said it in another thread before but I really feel Leica should bring back the M7 and rebrand is as the “M-E”. M-A for M Analog and M-E for M Electronic. Have the M7’s electronics, but fit it in a svelte body like the M-A and MP. Give it the features that would make sense on an aperture priority M, big shutter dial and quick film rewind system which will further differentiate it from the M-A/MP. Throw a dot on it then make special no dot editions later for profit, or just sell it no dot for brand consistency with their other film cameras. And voilà.

The M7 was a very cool camera. I think an “M-E” would make a nice pairing with the M-A for the customer that wants the best of both worlds. The MP would be the compromise camera, for those who want the light meter but mechanical camera otherwise, or those who really just like black paint.

Hell if Leica could make this fictional “M-E” like the Nikon FM3A, with full electronic and full mechanical control of all shutter speeds, I’d sell some cameras/take a loan out/do whatever I needed to do to buy one. It’d be a camera for the ages.

Edited by Sunyforreal

1 hour ago, Sunyforreal said:

I said it in another thread before but I really feel Leica should bring back the M7 and rebrand is as the “M-E”. M-A for M Analog and M-E for M Electronic. Have the M7’s electronics, but fit it in a svelte body like the M-A and MP. Give it the features that would make sense on an aperture priority M, big shutter dial and quick film rewind system which will further differentiate it from the M-A/MP. Throw a dot on it then make special no dot editions later for profit, or just sell it no dot for brand consistency with their other film cameras. And voilà.

But that is exactly what the M7 already is.  It is only 2mm taller than the MP or M-A.  I have all three.  There is no feeling of bulkiness with the M7, you would never know there is a difference in size.

The M7 was what you described.  And Leica cancelled it because people only wanted the MP/MA mechanical cameras.  So thinking they would bring the M7 back (I'd love this don't get me wrong!) when it already did not make the cut seems wishful thinking.

48 minutes ago, Huss said:

But that is exactly what the M7 already is.  It is only 2mm taller than the MP or M-A.  I have all three.  There is no feeling of bulkiness with the M7, you would never know there is a difference in size.

The M7 was what you described.  And Leica cancelled it because people only wanted the MP/MA mechanical cameras.  So thinking they would bring the M7 back (I'd love this don't get me wrong!) when it already did not make the cut seems wishful thinking.

I used to have an M7 myself, always felt lovely to shoot. I just think the Pre-M6 TTLs/M-A/MP are a little prettier is all. 

As for the cancellation, with the analog resurgence of the last couple years maybe it could be something worth bringing back now? It’s all just speculation and wishful thinking anyways. 

But dang, wouldn’t a Leica M version of the Nikon FM3a just be amazing? A man can dream 

17 minutes ago, Sunyforreal said:

I used to have an M7 myself, always felt lovely to shoot. I just think the Pre-M6 TTLs/M-A/MP are a little prettier is all. 

As for the cancellation, with the analog resurgence of the last couple years maybe it could be something worth bringing back now? It’s all just speculation and wishful thinking anyways. 

But dang, wouldn’t a Leica M version of the Nikon FM3a just be amazing? A man can dream 

I would love an M7 with a 1/4000 sec shutter.  1/8000 would be even better, and my R9 already has that so Leica has already made those.

My ideal M7 would be one that has the R9 shutter, and no DX coding!

But Leica stopped producing the M7, and instead filled the range with M-A because the M7 was not selling.  Film revival or not.  The public wanted mechanical film Ms.

16 hours ago, ianman said:

They are made in Portugal.

Do you think labor costs are significantly less in Portugal? Training someone to assemble a mechanical camera probably is quite costly, regardless of where they are located. And retaining skilled labor is always costly.

5 hours ago, Huss said:

I would love an M7 with a 1/4000 sec shutter.  1/8000 would be even better, and my R9 already has that so Leica has already made those.

My ideal M7 would be one that has the R9 shutter, and no DX coding!

But Leica stopped producing the M7, and instead filled the range with M-A because the M7 was not selling.  Film revival or not.  The public wanted mechanical film Ms.

1/4000 shutter would be sick and totally doable. Just throw in the shutter they already use on the digital Leica’s. I seen a Frankenstein Leica recently with a Nikon F3 shutter in it. There’s a video of it on YouTube somewhere, and it’s just as quiet as the cloth shutter is. 

Edit: was just thinking a film version of the Leica Q would be super freaking cool and interesting. Maybe bring the aperture to f/2 to make it slightly more compact, and add a flash. So I guess something like a Fuji Natura Black but with a slightly narrower lens and where the fastest f/stop isn’t locked into automatic mode or what film ISO you’re using to let you have more full control. 

Edited by Sunyforreal
More wishful thinking