Leica - Best year ever

kivis

Yes; I did read the article about Leica’s best year ever. But they also discontinued the popular CL ( APSC ) line for not selling well!… Isn’t that ironical!… Maybe the same destiny is waiting for SL series as people keep complaining about the size and the weight. 

Now, it seems what is left for the consumers are M and Q. No more for less expensive options!….

!!!

• 2 months later...

But they also discontinued the popular CL. . .    Maybe the same destiny is waiting for SL.

The one too light, the other too heavy. Where will they place their bets then?

The too heavy one was the result of a marketing manager stating heavy = professional; the too light because of the limitation of the small sensor and the amateur positiong asociated with that lightness of being.

The outcome of the striggle in my hope is a FF body with the EVF at the highest possible resolution - but please no IBIS - for photography it is USELESS imho + a high cost factor and a high bulk volume factor to be omitted. (don't be afraid of cannibalizing - it will be at the cost of the other existing FF offers like S5)

Anyway, I was looking for a CL but none to be found & I came home with the S5. Great and unfortunately not small so to say.

Edited by Alberti

• 2 months later...
On 10/10/2022 at 9:51 AM, Alberti said:

.. - but please no IBIS - for photography it is USELESS imho ..

IBIS is fantastic in my cameras that have it.  It allows me to handhold at much slower shutter speeds with no camera shake.  Excellent for photography.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2022 at 8:36 AM, Louis said:

Yes; I did read the article about Leica’s best year ever. But they also discontinued the popular CL ( APSC ) line for not selling well!… Isn’t that ironical!… Maybe the same destiny is waiting for SL series as people keep complaining about the size and the weight. 

Now, it seems what is left for the consumers are M and Q. No more for less expensive options!….

!!!

Leica's best year ever; CL's worst year ever. 😢

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/10/2022 at 5:51 PM, Alberti said:

The too heavy one was the result of a marketing manager stating heavy = professional; the too light because of the limitation of the small sensor and the amateur positiong asociated with that lightness of being.

The outcome of the striggle in my hope is a FF body with the EVF at the highest possible resolution - but please no IBIS - for photography it is USELESS imho + a high cost factor and a high bulk volume factor to be omitted. (don't be afraid of cannibalizing - it will be at the cost of the other existing FF offers like S5)

Anyway, I was looking for a CL but none to be found & I came home with the S5. Great and unfortunately not small so to say.

Where does the myth that IBIS equals bulk come from?  My ten-year old Olympus has 5 steps of stabilisation and is too small to use without a hand grip.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 12:51 PM, Alberti said:

You can turn IBIS off...

• 3 months later...

Discontinued does not mean obsolete. Maybe a company only needs to make one iteration of a product if they got it right in the 1st version. Maybe they will make a newer version of CL type camera that is unique in itself. They made enough CL's to go around for all people that actually want them new and now used. I am looking for a CL, used ones do exist, just need to pay the premium price for a used one. I have never owned a Leica but from reading about them they seem to last a lifetime with proper care.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb mpw:

I have never owned a Leica but from reading about them they seem to last a lifetime with proper care

Hm. 

Back in 2009 I made my first step into real digital full frame camera . . . . At that time I have spent a huge amount of money. And I thought that will do now . . . with proper care . . .