Q2 switches to video mode too easily ( accidentally)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi and thanks for having me! I’m a first time Leica owner, and have a new to me Q2. I’ve done several exploring trips with it, and a beach vacation, I’ve loved it so far. However, last adventure, it switched to video mode on its own, and it happened about 8 times. 

Now I know how it happened, and reset to factory, then custom set my functions etc. to rule that out. When you swipe the rear LCD screen, it switches to video. Vice versa. And it must have happened by rubbing against me while I was unable to hold onto the camera ( it’s around my neck)

my question is, can I get a different screen protector that will render it non touch sensitive? There seems to be no way to disable touch screen. It also happens even if rear LCD screen is set to off. Now I can switch it back faster, but this is a dealbreaker as even a couple seconds can destroy decisive moments. Does anyone have solutions to this? Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, Farrell Gallery said:

Thank you! I just tried that, though it still lets you swipe the screen to go into video mode 😫

Go to Menu 1>Focusing>Touch AF in EVF>Off

11 minutes ago, Farrell Gallery said:

It's been set to off, as well as touch AF. still has the swipe for video mode working  It's like nothing disables this damned touch screen. 😞

With EVF in extended mode and Touch AF in EVF set to Off, I cannot turn on the video mode with a swipe. Can you double check your settings?

Firmware 4.0?

Edited by SrMi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

With EVF in extended mode and Touch AF in EVF set to Off, I cannot turn on the video mode with a swipe. Can you double check your settings?

Firmware 4.0?

Confirmed, settings are correct. Though it's firmware 3.1. Time to update. That would be amazing if firmware fixed that impossibly annoying issue. I've only upgraded firmware on Fuji. Trying to get update on the SD card now. Thanks so much! 

Edited by Farrell Gallery

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

Firmware 4.0?

That worked!! Thanks so much! I hate losing the EVF in the process, but it's better than that obnoxious video mode happening by accident. Really stupid idea. But this helps, hoping the next firmware can disable touch screen period. lol 

• Like 1

I spoke with Leica in Germany, and they acknowledged that some of the feedback regarding this issue has been scathing, as it should be IMHO. They don’t have an ETA on the next firmware, but they seem to be listening to this feedback and hope that’s an option going forward. At least now I have a way around it and I appreciate the help here too.