Leica 35mm APO ASPH Waiting time [merged]

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

He said March 2021, not March 2022!

It seems to me best to not rely on getting this lens any time soon. If you are looking for the performance it can give, it seems like the Voigtlander 35mm APO Lanthar or 35mm SL version (if you would consider an SL body) would be a reasonable stop gap. Otherwise, a more easily attainable lens like the 35mm 1.4 FLE will give you both an extra stop and extremely good performance from about f4 or f5.6. 9000 dollars and over a year wait seem like a lot for a 35mm f2 lens...

Upon closer inspection, yes he did.  @LeicaS2 had a 16 month wait then, not 4 months.  Sorry, I was distracted while writing my post. 🤪

At this point, my strategy will be to go with a 35mm Summilux M ASPH and wait for the 35 APO. 

The 35 'lux is an outstanding lens, even if it is not APO.  I am open to the possibility that the 35 Summilux will do all that I want it to do, negating the want/need for the 35 APO.  Time will tell.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to share the joy of receiving my APO 35mm. My dealer told me last week that one is incoming and asked me if i wanted it. And it is in my hand, attached to my M11 today. Such a beautiful lens… couldn’t be any more happier.

Here are few pictures from this lens.

Edited by AndrewK
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got on the list at a US store in May, just got my "it's your turn" notice today and paid. Should have it early next week, just in time for some travel. So about 3 months total wait time, which is a lot better than I thought it would be.

Edited by wdahab
  • Like 3

On 8/2/2022 at 5:03 PM, AndrewK said:

Just want to share the joy of receiving my APO 35mm. My dealer told me last week that one is incoming and asked me if i wanted it. And it is in my hand, attached to my M11 today. Such a beautiful lens… couldn’t be any more happier.

Why the terrible barrel distortion?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 2.8.2022 um 17:03 schrieb AndrewK:

Sorry bud pictures like you can do also with a bad Voigtländer lens... These do not show any of the real qualities of the 35 apo.

3 hours ago, Jan1985 said:

Sorry bud pictures like you can do also with a bad Voigtländer lens... These do not show any of the real qualities of the 35 apo.

So, what pictures show the qualities of the 35 APO?  What images show its strengths that I can’t get with my 35 Summilux pre-asph or my Distagon?  I’m not referring to your rather unkind reaction to @AndrewK’s post (I get it, you don’t think much of his photos, despite his happiness with his new lens) - it’s a serious question.  What is a 35 APO worthy photo, or at least one which is specific to its strengths?  

For me, composition trumps everything else.  If the qualities of a lens add to composition, then great; if they detract, then not so good.  I can’t think of a potential image where I’d say to myself “Oh, no!  You can’t take that image with an APO.”

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jan1985 said:

please do post some of your pics with the 35APO, some of your S Portraits are very nice.

Edited by frame-it

2 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

So, what pictures show the qualities of the 35 APO?  What images show its strengths that I can’t get with my 35 Summilux pre-asph or my Distagon?  I’m not referring to your rather unkind reaction to @AndrewK’s post (I get it, you don’t think much of his photos, despite his happiness with his new lens) - it’s a serious question.  What is a 35 APO worthy photo, or at least one which is specific to its strengths?  

For me, composition trumps everything else.  If the qualities of a lens add to composition, then great; if they detract, then not so good.  I can’t think of a potential image where I’d say to myself “Oh, no!  You can’t take that image with an APO.”

IMO you are exaggerating if you put the APO on one line with the pre-asph Summilux. There we go again with this non-sense that neither lens can make you a better photographer. Jono, and Sean Reid even more, have clearly demonstrated the special character of the APO and I agree with you to this extent that it is rather faint to burn down the photo’s of someone who wants to share his happiness with his APO. And btw, I find both night shots rather special in its sharpness or promising at least. I doubt whether I can do that with my FLE. This is not a discussion about composition or artistic value of a photo (although I’ve had it with demonstrating lenses with one’s pets). 

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, otto.f said:

IMO you are exaggerating if you put the APO on one line with the pre-asph Summilux. There we go again with this non-sense that neither lens can make you a better photographer. Jono, and Sean Reid even more, have clearly demonstrated the special character of the APO and I agree with you to this extent that it is rather faint to burn down the photo’s of someone who wants to share his happiness with his APO. And btw, I find both night shots rather special in its sharpness or promising at least. I doubt whether I can do that with my FLE. This is not a discussion about composition or artistic value of a photo (although I’ve had it with demonstrating lenses with one’s pets). 

I think you get my point, Otto …

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

In case you haven’t noticed: this has nothing to do with the content of the photos. The examples showcase extreme barrel distortion that only the worst lenses  can match. I’ve never tried the voigtlander cheapies but we know they do distort.

Anyhow, I really hope the distortion has been added by the photographer and is not native to the lens, which would be catastrophical, really. 
Of course it has been added by the user, but why? It doesn’t add anything except separate the viewers in two groups: those who see the distortion (also tentatively labeled as the “Haters” because unfortunately that is how things work in these forums) and those who don’t (but should, as this is supposed to be a serious photography forum, and not a blind love festival).

The Leica users that don’t see the distortion should definitely go to an eye doctor and rethink their visual worth, and their Leica worth, to be honnest. It simply screams distortion.

Edited by Capuccino-Muffin

10 minutes ago, wdahab said:

Everyone is debating rudeness and photo quality, when really the question is “lol the guy did a border on his photos to make the sides round”

whether he added a border/roundness or not, there is no need for some people to be rude right? the content is good, and his flickr page has a lot of very nice photos.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gelatino said:

OK I was thinking of M system as the subject is the new M APO 35.

Yes, but the M 35 APO can’t focus to 30 cm using the RF, one of the cores of the M system; might as well use it on the SL for close focusing.

Jeff