Spilit Diopter Filter for 1938 Elmar 5 cm on Leica 1938 iii ???

Is this some specific 1930s classic accessory, or do you just want one you can use on this lens? There are modern split focus filters in (e.g.) 49mm you could adapt to the Elmar, perhaps with a SOOGZ and a step-up ring, but I don't know how you'd focus the lens...

Edited by Anbaric

29 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

Is this some specific 1930s classic accessory, or do you just want one you can use on this lens? There are modern split focus filters in (e.g.) 49mm you could adapt to the Elmar, perhaps with a SOOGZ and a step-up ring, but I don't know how you'd focus the lens...

Thank you very much. I dont know how to focus either.  Any idea ? Is there any Leica 49mm ? 

I've no idea if Leitz/Leica themselves ever made a split focus filter of any kind. The SOOGZ adapter converts the Elmar, which normally takes A36 push-on filters, to the standard E39 screw fitting. You could then use a 39mm to 49mm step-up ring to attach a 49mm filter (which is one size these filters are available in). If you can find a 39mm split focus filter, the step-up ring wouldn't be necessary.

But what are you trying to achieve? If you actually want to take photos with one of these on film, a cheap SLR and a 50mm lens that's probably technically better than the Elmar can be had for less than the price of the SOOGZ, and you could find a split focus filter that would fit the lens directly. Then you can see what's in focus through the viewfinder. If digital is an option and you particularly want to use the Elmar, you could mount in on a mirrorless system. Rangefinder cameras aren't really designed for this sort of application.

Or have I misunderstood your question, and you are talking about a correction lens for the eyepiece?

Edited by Anbaric

4 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

I've no idea if Leitz/Leica themselves ever made a split focus filter of any kind. The SOOGZ adapter converts the Elmar, which normally takes A36 push-on filters, to the standard E39 screw fitting. You could then use a 39mm to 49mm step-up ring to attach a 49mm filter (which is one size these filters are available in). If you can find a 39mm split focus filter, the step-up ring wouldn't be necessary.

But what are you trying to achieve? If you actually want to take photos with one of these on film, a cheap SLR and a 50mm lens that's probably technically better than the Elmar can be had for less than the price of the SOOGZ, and you could find a split focus filter that would fit the lens directly. Then you can see what's in focus through the viewfinder. If digital is an option and you particularly want to use the Elmar, you could mount in on a mirrorless system. Rangefinder cameras aren't really designed for this sort of application.

Or have I misunderstood your question, and you are talking about a correction lens for the eyepiece?

You understood correctly. I want extreme deep focus with elmar. I am after orson welles gregg toland effecfs. No other japanese lens comes close to elmar but SOOGZ costs 165 dollars. I think I must find a mirrorless second hand and than tape the split focus to elmar. I am after a movie honestly.