Experience with Leica X autofocus?

kazana

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi - I'm a new Leica owner (X-U) and I've been trying out my camera in Cozumel. I am absolutely floored by the image quality from this thing, but above all I am absolutely gobsmacked by the colors. The DNGs look so good SOOC that all I need to do is make slight exposure tweaks and curves adjustments.

Frustratingly, however - the autofocus seems bizarrely unreliable. It's not a question of speed, but of false positive focus confirmation, eg: the focus box(es) will be green but when I look at the images, they are often totally out of focus. A realllly high percentage of the time. I'd say in the 30% range. It's hard to quantify, because sometimes a whole series of images will all be out of focus, while another series of images is not. I'm not pushing the camera in terms of low light... and generally shooting in contrasty conditions which this camera should thrive in.

So I was wondering - does this sound out of character for a Leica X series camera? Maybe something is wrong with it? Or this is normal - in which case does anybody have any tips and tricks on dealing with it?

Luckily the manual focus is supremely well implemented and far more reliable. I've been forced to switch to that when I really want to be sure... but it's not the best in certain faster paced situations closer to subjects, obviously.

Multi-zone focusing will always select the nearest object in the field of view, not often your choice. Try single point and also get sound confirmation. 

Edited by wda

On 7/5/2022 at 7:24 PM, kazana said:

Hi - I'm a new Leica owner (X-U) and I've been trying out my camera in Cozumel. I am absolutely floored by the image quality from this thing, but above all I am absolutely gobsmacked by the colors. The DNGs look so good SOOC that all I need to do is make slight exposure tweaks and curves adjustments.

Frustratingly, however - the autofocus seems bizarrely unreliable. It's not a question of speed, but of false positive focus confirmation, eg: the focus box(es) will be green but when I look at the images, they are often totally out of focus. A realllly high percentage of the time. I'd say in the 30% range. It's hard to quantify, because sometimes a whole series of images will all be out of focus, while another series of images is not. I'm not pushing the camera in terms of low light... and generally shooting in contrasty conditions which this camera https://showbox.tools/ should thrive in.

So I was wondering - does this sound out of character for a Leica X series camera? Maybe something is wrong with it? Or this is normal - in which case does anybody have any tips and tricks on dealing with it?

Luckily the manual focus is supremely well implemented and far more reliable. I've been forced to switch to that when I really want to be sure... but it's not the best in certain faster paced situations closer to subjects, obviously.

I got this,..