Jump to content

Buy Q2 now or wait for Q3?


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, NJUSA1 said:

And likely add another $1,000 to the price the way the world economy is going.

Maybe not $1000 but it's certainly not going to be any less expensive.  When the M11 came out it was priced the same as the M10-R, and places like B&H and Adorama still show them to be the same.   Q2 is $5795.  Hard to say what the Q3 would be.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I say purchase any camera you can afford and that you like.  Just remember, the latest, greatest most expensive camera out there will not correct lousy composition.  Look at Dorthea Lange or HCB and just marvel at their great images.  Sometimes we get way to wrapped up in discussions about gear.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, smoothlander1 said:

I say purchase any camera you can afford and that you like.  Just remember, the latest, greatest most expensive camera out there will not correct lousy composition.  Look at Dorthea Lange or HCB and just marvel at their great images.  Sometimes we get way to wrapped up in discussions about gear.  

Agreed. We hyperventilate over MTF charts and edge to bleeding edge sharpness, but none of that compensates for imagination, talent and craft.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2022 at 8:40 AM, M11 for me said:

Hi Jono,

Do you use LR Classic? Are you satisfied with the initial rendering of the camera after import? My personal feeling is that the M11 (and already the M10) had much more pleasing colors (less blue and more red) so that I had to create a special profile that I use in LR to have the colors the same in both cameras. I expect that a Q3 does better in Lightroom.

Otherwise I am quite pleased with the Q2. 

I do use LR Classic, and I am satisfied with the colour - seems good to me (but perhaps I'm not fussy enough!)

best

Jono

Link to post
Share on other sites

vor 4 Stunden schrieb jonoslack:

I do use LR Classic, and I am satisfied with the colour - seems good to me (but perhaps I'm not fussy enough!)

best

Jono

My point is probably that the colors of the M11 compared to Q2 are much better to my liking (and they are clearly different) so that I created a special profile for the Q2 in order to match the M11 colors.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2022 at 10:44 PM, smoothlander1 said:

I say purchase any camera you can afford and that you like.  Just remember, the latest, greatest most expensive camera out there will not correct lousy composition.  Look at Dorthea Lange or HCB and just marvel at their great images.  Sometimes we get way to wrapped up in discussions about gear.  

Isn't that because it is so obvious though? This is a branded camera forum, ostensibly about Leica cameras and gear, and that is what people are generally discussing. It is obvious to any serious photographer or even admirer of photography as an art that buying an expensive camera will not make you into a great photographer...nor is anyone here claiming that it would.

I think the reason we get wrapped up in discussions about gear is that people care very deeply about the process of photography, and different people have wildly different needs, and those lead to passionate discussions over the merits of one aspect of a camera versus another. I don't think that means that people are not serious about their art. On the contrary, most of the artists I know are pretty passionate and picky about their tools, even if they are not technically minded. Keep in mind that, especially for artists and pros, these are the things we have chosen to translate our vision and have to work with all day long. Most chefs I know are pretty picky about their knives and pans as well, even if they can make a brilliant meal in any kitchen. Photographers are usually the same.

Edited by Stuart Richardson
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

On the contrary, most of the artists I know are pretty passionate and picky about their tools, even if they are not technically minded. Keep in mind that, especially for artists and pros, these are the things we have chosen to translate our vision and have to work with all day long. 

Most artists I know are far more concerned about their own skill set, developing their own techniques and knowledge.

Sure, they want to use the best kit they can, but they don't pixel peep, they tend not to change their equipment every year and they know it's more about the vision of the painter, musician, photographer, chef, than it is about the equipment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2022 at 1:09 PM, SrMi said:

Have you tried Photoshop's Filter>Neural Filters>Colorize? 😁

Ok so I just had to try this. Took out the Q2M & grabbed a quick test shot. It's not that clean, but with some editing, could look decent. Wow. Should I sell my regular Q2 now?!? 

 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, AaronMRamsey said:

Ok so I just had to try this. Took out the Q2M & grabbed a quick test shot. It's not that clean, but with some editing, could look decent. Wow. Should I sell my regular Q2 now?!? 

 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm impressed.  Maybe since you have both cameras, take the same shot with each and compare after colorizing the Q2M

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2022 at 2:25 PM, M11 for me said:

My point is probably that the colors of the M11 compared to Q2 are much better to my liking (and they are clearly different) so that I created a special profile for the Q2 in order to match the M11 colors.

I am curious how you observe the colors on the Q2 to differ from the M11. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2022 at 12:20 AM, Stuart Richardson said:

Isn't that because it is so obvious though? This is a branded camera forum, ostensibly about Leica cameras and gear, and that is what people are generally discussing. It is obvious to any serious photographer or even admirer of photography as an art that buying an expensive camera will not make you into a great photographer...nor is anyone here claiming that it would.

I think the reason we get wrapped up in discussions about gear is that people care very deeply about the process of photography, and different people have wildly different needs, and those lead to passionate discussions over the merits of one aspect of a camera versus another. I don't think that means that people are not serious about their art. On the contrary, most of the artists I know are pretty passionate and picky about their tools, even if they are not technically minded. Keep in mind that, especially for artists and pros, these are the things we have chosen to translate our vision and have to work with all day long. Most chefs I know are pretty picky about their knives and pans as well, even if they can make a brilliant meal in any kitchen. Photographers are usually the same.

Hello, I want to buy Q2 and for that, I am searching for some suggestions online on whether I should buy it or not. When I am searching for it online, I am glad I found your post where I found my answer. I am gathering information online because I am gonna take a loan with the help of this https://fitmymoney.com/ website and I don't want to ruin it. Thanks to all for giving me the suggestion.

Yes, I agreed with you.

Edited by MaxineKing
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...