Buy Q2 now or wait for Q3?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/9/2022 at 4:44 PM, Le Chef said:

This again is your personal bias and not even remotely factually based. Try making your claim on another well known platform that begins with “D” and you will get shredded. If you spend time with the owners of these cameras and look at their images you will discover they are just as serious, if not more so than some Leica owners about their craft. You might choose to be dismissive, but have you heard what other camera owners say about Leica owners? You should check that out before making dismissive statements.

Thanks

I don't identify as a "Leica owner", though, since I never bought any Leica gear new. (Except for the lens hood for my Q, and it hurt like a hammer on a thumb)
(And you wouldn't want to hear what I have to say about the majority of "true" Leica owners, believe me. Met my fair share at workshops over the past years..)

I owned a full kit of Fuji gear, shot Canon semi-professionally (couldn't make a living of it alone) and currently shoot mainly Nikon (earning some money)

The Leica Q is my carry-everywhere camera that replaced the ever-growing Fuji kit in order to stick to "1 camera, 1 lens". The Fuji 23mm APS-C fixed lens was too narrow for my taste. Had an X100S for a couple years before the Leica Q. The Q is literally the only camera that gave me what I needed. A Ricoh GR simply didn't please me at all.

That said, my statement is not just my personal opinion. Just go and have a look at all the newly released APS-C cameras and tell me who their target audience is.

Sure, an OM-1 or a Fuji X-H are giant cameras targeted at serious photographers, but they are just as big as full frame cameras now. The vast majority of new APS-C bodies are clearly targeted at people getting into photography, hipsters (watch the ads for the Zfc and change my mind!) or vloggers.. any camera with a screen that lets you take selfies is not really aimed at photographers anymore)

Edited by mbphotox

6 hours ago, mbphotox said:

Thanks

I don't identify as a "Leica owner", though, since I never bought any Leica gear new. (Except for the lens hood for my Q, and it hurt like a hammer on a thumb)
(And you wouldn't want to hear what I have to say about the majority of "true" Leica owners, believe me. Met my fair share at workshops over the past years..)

I owned a full kit of Fuji gear, shot Canon semi-professionally (couldn't make a living of it alone) and currently shoot mainly Nikon (earning some money)

The Leica Q is my carry-everywhere camera that replaced the ever-growing Fuji kit in order to stick to "1 camera, 1 lens". The Fuji 23mm APS-C fixed lens was too narrow for my taste. Had an X100S for a couple years before the Leica Q. The Q is literally the only camera that gave me what I needed. A Ricoh GR simply didn't please me at all.

That said, my statement is not just my personal opinion. Just go and have a look at all the newly released APS-C cameras and tell me who their target audience is.

Sure, an OM-1 or a Fuji X-H are giant cameras targeted at serious photographers, but they are just as big as full frame cameras now. The vast majority of new APS-C bodies are clearly targeted at people getting into photography, hipsters (watch the ads for the Zfc and change my mind!) or vloggers.. any camera with a screen that lets you take selfies is not really aimed at photographers anymore)

Rather than try and support your unsubstantiated claim why don’t you talk to owners of APSC cameras and find out how they use them? Your myopic views on what constitutes photography and what gets used is also condescending to say the least. I guess your version of photography is the one that counts and no one else’s does.

• Like 3

On 7/15/2022 at 5:31 AM, mbphotox said:

Thanks

Ok, so, like, I am currently shooting a GoPro Hero _ Black.....can I get someone's $.02 on the lens distortion & high ISO capabilities? In all seriousness, though, I am a supporter of owning multiple cameras for multiple scenarios-that is, if you are a professional. Hey, you could be a professional and shoot ONLY one camera. It can, and has, been done. But in today's market where EVERYONE is a photographer, it's best to master as many photographic facets as possible. 

In my humble opinion, it doesn't matter what you shoot, so long as you can adapt & are versatile. I don't distinguish brands because it's like a general contractor bragging about what drill he uses. Maybe there's a debate for Milwaukee vs. Dewalt, sure. But, at the end of the day, the best tool is what you have with you...and what the situation calls for.

Fujifilm Twitter once asked its base: What cameras do you own? My response was, well, there's the big one, there's the small one, there's the one that flies, there's the one that goes underwater, & there's the one I call my wife with. The point was, I know how to use them all...& use them very well. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

Mr. Wilson… reminds me of a movie with Tom Hanks, not sure if that is the reference though…

My desert island camera would have a LCD with behind the screen solar PV cell charger, as we see in some Garmin watches and cycle GPS units. 

A Tamagotchi AI pet that responds to stroking and talking to the camera might also be a winner. 

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

So you only bought your Leicas from the local fence?

Nope, took the Q off the busy hands of some dentist who wanted the Q2 despite never really having used his Q anyways.

Gonna do the same with the Q2 once the Q3 launches and the dentists start selling their "like-new" Leica Q2s for 2 grand or less.

• Like 1

"Buy Q2 now or wait for Q3?"

I bought my Q-P when the Q2 had just been released. It's been an amazing camera and I use it all the time for work along with a Sony A9. 

I'm now actually thinking of updating and the thought of the Q3 is there in the back of my mind but I know the two main things that I'd like improving are fixed in the Q2. Moving the focal point for manual focus zoom assist and weather sealing. The extra pixels will be nice to have for cropping in and maintaining an image at a size that is saleable. 

So, seriously, I wouldn't worry too much about the Q3 if you need a camera now, just buy the Q2 and I have no doubt it will do you proud!

Now, my only dilemma is whether to go M11 with a 28mm lens so that it would leave the option to add other focal lengths later... I still have a feeling the Q cameras may still be the best fit though!

On 7/5/2022 at 2:16 PM, celigo said:

I've been seeing and hearing the rumors about the release of the Leica Q3, especially after the (long awaited) release of the M11. I have been eyeing the Q2 for a while and know it's a spectacular camera, but can anyone comment on whether the Q2 tech feels a bit outdated since it's been out for a while? I have no idea whether the Q3 will come out in 2022 as rumored, but let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!

Well . . . . I tested the Q2 way back before it was released, but I didn't buy one . . . . until last week, when I finally cracked and bought a Q2 reporter, and it's lovely! I don't know when the Q3 will be released, but I guess it won't be this year.

best

Jono

• Like 5

OK, I'm a Q2 owner for a few months. What I'd really like improved is not in the Q2 at all, but how Lightroom handles Q files. I try hard to select a crop close to what I need for the shot, but at speed I often just mash the shutter and accept that the crop will be wrong but correctable in post. In Lightroom it shows the cropped image - often far too cropped, and quite a lot of files in sequence, making it difficult to make a quick triage and cull. I have to pick one image, set the crop to 'Original' instead of 'As shot', then copy and paste that setting to all the other files.

But the Q2 is my travel camera (among other things), so I am ingesting the files using Lightroom CC, not Classic (that is on the desktop at home). Lightroom CC is crap at import presets, and it is crap at copy and paste for settings ('crop' is not copied and pasted by default, and 'copy and paste' is a longwinded process anyway). So I want Lightroom to give us the option to import files uncropped

4 hours ago, Le Chef said:

Are you shooting jpeg or RAW? If the former that may be the reason as the camera is effectively telling LightRoom this is how you want the image cropped.

Raw. NB it is not making a destructive crop, just an initial crop that can be removed. As I wrote, it is a hassle to do this unless you are a photographer who always shoots well-prepared. I'm not.

vor 20 Stunden schrieb jonoslack:

Well . . . . I tested the Q2 way back before it was released, but I didn't buy one . . . . until last week, when I finally cracked and bought a Q2 reporter, and it's lovely! I don't know when the Q3 will be released, but I guess it won't be this year.

best

Jono

Hi Jono,

Do you use LR Classic? Are you satisfied with the initial rendering of the camera after import? My personal feeling is that the M11 (and already the M10) had much more pleasing colors (less blue and more red) so that I had to create a special profile that I use in LR to have the colors the same in both cameras. I expect that a Q3 does better in Lightroom.

Otherwise I am quite pleased with the Q2

Edited by M11 for me

On 7/5/2022 at 12:21 PM, Camaro5 said:

How bad do you want one?  If you don't mind waiting, then wait.  I did not.  I got a brand new Q2 and it's been all I've needed.  While I'm sure the Q3 will have some improvements they would have to be something earth-shattering to make me want to change.   

And likely add another $1,000 to the price the way the world economy is going.

I was just thinking the opposite this afternoon after ingesting my latest Q2 images - that colour is one thing I don’t have to adjust. With my M240,SL and now my SL2S I have always fiddled with colour. Not that they are bad, just that I think I can always improve on them. But not with the Q2

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2