Buy Q2 now or wait for Q3?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been seeing and hearing the rumors about the release of the Leica Q3, especially after the (long awaited) release of the M11. I have been eyeing the Q2 for a while and know it's a spectacular camera, but can anyone comment on whether the Q2 tech feels a bit outdated since it's been out for a while? I have no idea whether the Q3 will come out in 2022 as rumored, but let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!

The Q4 will be even better. Wait for that one…Seriously: ask yourself: does my photographic skill match the Q2, in other words: is there a need for anything else? 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

My view: The Q3 will make a jump in technology. I would wait for Q3. Thats me. The Q2 is end of life. But the Q3 camera will most probably not be launched in 2022. So you have 3 options:

1) You wait for Q3. You have an alternative today and you can wait.

2) You do not want to wait and you buy the Q2 now as second hand (or new) and maybe you are fully happy with it even when the Q3 is out.

3) When the Q3 is in the shops then you trade in your Q2 and buy Q3.

Edited by M11 for me

Q3 only in 2023 at best. Stefan Daniels confirmed that Q3 won’t be launched in 2022  

Need a Q ? Grab a used Q or Q2  

If you don’t need weather sealing. Q is the best choice by far. 
Living in a rainy place : Q2

47MP is a pain in the ass. After 3 years of Q2 I still hate the new sensor. 
Most of us can skip SL2, Q2, M10 Monochrom, M10-R or M11. So many pixels are more detrimental than useful. 

My biggest mistake is to have traded Q for Q2

So if Q3 is 60MP. I will pass my turn  

• Like 3

If it helps any, I traded my Sigma FP L which has 60mp for my Q2.  60mp gave me the ability to print poster size photos but I realized I don't have a poster size printer.  I do appreciate the extra MP on the Q2 and do use the crop zoom sometimes.  But all in all I find the image quality of the Q2 is better than the FP L.  The photos I get with my Q2 much more closely reveal  the scenes I see.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Q4

No doubt Leica is starting.  

+1 for Q original.  

Skip the Q2, wait.  The sensor tech is advancing rapidly, perhaps better dynamic range, low light, less banding.  It will be interesting to see what Leica will do with sensor resolution, the popularity and uniqueness may not make greater megapixels necessary to compete with nothing (no other camera).  

If you decide to buy now, the Q's hold value more than most camera, you can always upgrade.  

34 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Q3 only in 2023 at best. Stefan Daniels confirmed that Q3 won’t be launched in 2022  

Need a Q ? Grab a used Q or Q2  

If you don’t need weather sealing. Q is the best choice by far. 
Living in a rainy place : Q2. 

Most of us can skip SL2, Q2, M10 Monochrom, M10-R or M11. So many pixels are more detrimental than useful. 

36 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

My biggest mistake is to have traded Q for Q2

So if Q3 is 60MP. I will pass my turn  

Announcement in 2023 means availability in 2024.

I agree with the MP comment. Especially with Lightroom Enhance or Topaz Gigapixel available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, celigo said:

can anyone comment on whether the Q2 tech feels a bit outdated since it's been out for a while? 

Thanks in advance!

Mine doesn't feel outdated, but then I have no idea what that would feel like.

It still takes good pictures - they don't seem to be getting any worse as it gets older.

• Like 1

How bad do you want one?  If you don't mind waiting, then wait.  I did not.  I got a brand new Q2 and it's been all I've needed.  While I'm sure the Q3 will have some improvements they would have to be something earth-shattering to make me want to change.   

If it's just about the money I'd suggest getting a used Q2 and enjoy it until the Q3 comes out.  Not really seeing that an extra 14 megapixels would be enough to upgrade.

A flippy screen would be great as well as USB-C but on the overall it seems to me that a used Q2 at this point in time would be the sweet spot.  Plenty of clean ones seem to be available.

• Like 1

I was in a similar position, but the obvious choice for me was to buy the Q2. Until I used one I didn't know what its strengths and weaknesses were, or what I valued most about the camera. That means that when the Q3 comes out I will be in the best position to decide whether I want to buy what it offers. You could put a decision off until the Q3 is launched, buy it, find you don't like it, and you will have wasted 1-2 years.

So far, I can't think what the Q3 could offer that would make me want to buy it. Such is human nature, though, that in late 2023 I will be disappointed in the Q2 and ready to change.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

If the Q3 drops (for example) in May of 2023, the first production run will be snapped up in the blink of an eye by those with an inside track.  Add another 6-12 months for real world availability for the rest of us.

The Q2 is a truly great camera and is available now.  Do you really want to wait till early 2024 for the pie in the sky Q3?  You can make a lot of images and have a lot of photographic fun/satisfaction/enjoyment between now and then if you get a Q2 now and get out and shoot with it.

The only improvement I would hope for in the Q3 would be improved IQ at higher ISOs (5000-10,000 range) and perhaps better weather sealing.  The Q2's 47mp sensor offers enough megapixels IMHO.  Offering a Q3 with a three tier resolution sensor like the M11 has would be fantastic, though.

The Q3 will likely be a big leap forward in terms of performance; if you love the Q2, you could trade it in on a Q3 if you want/need the enhanced performance.

Edit

After thinking about this, there is another option, if a person wants a REALLY fantastic Q camera with staggering specs and performance. 

Just wait for the Q2500. 😎

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

I just picked up a used Q2. Just get it. There is always something new around the corner but the Q2 is here and now and it takes wonderful images. The only thing I would like to see in the future is a tilt screen. With the current firmware, it is more capable than I.

• Like 3