Which lens for which country? (By popular demand)

bcorton

On 7/5/2022 at 9:22 PM, Al Brown said:

Let me use the world map and actually put focal lengths in perspective - old school style...
Sadly, Anctarctica has been left out, but I definitely recommend 28mm for the local visit.
If you can't find the country you want to visit with a big number across, it is definitely 28mm that is being recommended.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On the basis I only have a Q2, I totally endorse this view! 😀

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, Pierre68 said:

Common you guys, people asking this kind of question are not looking for advice.

They just want to let the world know they have a Laica and they are going to whichever place...

Well, I can not really buy in on the claim that this discussion is about showing off; hey… look… I have a Laica! A claim that this would be the primary goal to join this thread, seems just… well, too far fetched since most other ways & places should be better ways to show off.
On the other hand I agree that I have a hard time putting labels on countries when it comes to ideal choice of focal lenght. I find… and I think it has been stated numerous times in here, that choice of fc is more or less entirely about your personal style/choice of motive. 

Edited by Stein K S

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Pierre68 said:

Common you guys, people asking this kind of question are not looking for advice.

They just want to let the world know they have a Laica and they are going to whichever place...

I like to give the benefit of the doubt, to the questioner. I have not replied, before this, because I have never been to Denmark, which was the specified destination of the related discussion, and have not traveled extensively, since adding the Leica M system, in 2018. Until 2018, the easy answer would have been a Nikon Nikkor 24-70/2.8G ED, or, one of several favored 35mm lenses. Since I added Leica M, my father’s decling health kept me close to home, until he passed in late 2019, and then the COVID panic-demic has curtailed travel, since then.

I can offer a perspective of having lived in SE Texas, and worked in Houston, which is a city that is built differently than a densely-built East Coast city such as New York City, and the “personal space requirements,” and collective temperament, of the typical suburban and urban Texans, tend to be quite intolerant of being photographed in the manner that some NYC street photographers have worked.

Of course, I can consult any number of sources, to learn the ideal lens(es) to use in NYC, Paris, London, or Venice, Italy, or in the souks in various trendy Gulf States, but, Denmark might be a bit less-commonly mentioned in English-speaking photographer’s blogs. Are the streets of “old” parts of Copenhagen, for example, as densely-built as old parts of Boston, Massachusetts, USA, or much of Venice? This would be a good thing to know.

Personally, I doubt that 28mm would be a mistake, but, I am more of a 35mm shooter, for general USA travel, and really like to have a 50mm or longer lens, with me, plus a 21mm, too. I can only guess, about Denmark, but that guess would be 35mm, for the way I shoot. Notably, I want to try a Thambar-M 90mm lens, when I do start traveling again.

Edited by RexGig0

Just now, Herr Barnack said:

I'm sure there's a joke there somewhere.

This thread seems to have missed its ironic intent (never translates well).  I’m reminded of Douglas Adams on deadlines:

I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by. 

The OP stated two possible responses to this thread topic: serious; or humorous.  His first thread on Denmark was a serious inquiry, despite his recognition that it might be “silly”. I agreed that it was silly.

Jeff

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2022 at 1:20 AM, sunung1188 said:

South Korea (Seoul) - 35mm / narrow alleys, lots of people walking

Now that's an invitation for the Koreans to call the Police for their silly misinterpretation of the "right to face law" ;)

happened to 2 of my friends, one from Paris and one from San Francisco, both times in the narrow Gangnam alleys

the police came within minutes, hassled them, checked all their pics then told them to get lost as they hadn't broken any law.

Edited by frame-it
spelling

Here is no "country" but guts you have or none and population density, no real presence of location.

If you are in the nowhere. Like Solzhenitsyn's hide cove  (been where) 50mm is OK.

Jump to Manhattan - 28-21. 

Wanna do it all? 35. Country is irrelevant, only is how afraid of been close are you.

PS. Anywhere I would go in EU where it is tight, 21mm and let them plow it into the frame.

I really think there is no country on this planet I would not take my Leica with me.
Even in Afghanistan - one needed to leave the heavy machinery behind, but never the Leica.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

6 minutes ago, ianman said:

Yes all these so-called witty comments make it hard to stay focused.

Stay focused !

That "focus" requires answering another hard to choose lens with tab or ring focussing.