Which lens for which country? (By popular demand)

bcorton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I recently asked for tips from those who had photographed in Denmark regarding which focal lengths they favored, a couple of forum wits (LocalHero1953 and James Early) called for a thread recommending which focal lengths should be used in which countries.  Ever one to "lean in" to my own absurdist notions, I hereby launch this thread. 

Answers may take one of two forms, the way I see it.  They can either try to suggest what focal length bests fits with the scale of a county's topography and cityscapes, etc.  Or, they can perhaps tell us something humorous by association.  But I leave it to greater minds than my own to puzzle out the best way(s) to answer what is, essentially a light-hearted question.  All I ask is, please, let's keep it light and try to avoid giving offense.  

Brent

Moderators: if anyone even responds to this, it may fit better in the "Customer Forum" pages.  I don't rightly know.  Your call.

• Like 3

I'll start.

I of course have my own opinions about which lens I'd take to another country, but I should probably begin with my own: The United States.  Lens: I have no idea*--the U.S. is just too big.  So, let me start with my home state: Utah.  Lens: for the parks, something like the WATE would be ideal, I think. Or maybe a 28mm.

*My wife did suggest something like a Thambar.  'Cause you might not want to have too many details about what you're looking at.😎

Edited by bcorton
  • Haha 2

United Arab Emirates (Dubai And Other Emirates): 24mm Or 28mm For The Wide End. 75mm For Street/Daily Use.

Let Me Elaborate, The Wide End Is Really Great For The City Scape And The Landscape. I Personally Use A 28 Lux For Everything Especially Astrophotography. A Warning Though! The Jerboas Are Vicious I Kid You Not One Spent An Hour Of His Life Nibbling My Toes When Lights Are Off. 

The 75mm, I Interchange Between The Summarit And The Cron Is For The Cultural Etiquette Mostly. People Don't Like To Be Photographed, And I Make Sure Not To Show Faces Unless I Take Permission. They Both Serve Me Well And I Prefer Them Over A 50mm When I Use My 28mm. 

P.S. On The Plus Side You Can Carry Your Birkin (Leicas, Numbered Lenses, Or Noctis) Without Anyone Even Thinking Of Touching Your Gear. In fact You Would Be Complimented Sometimes By Strangers Not Into Photography. This Due To The Royal Families Enjoying Photography Especially The Crown Prince Who Always Uses A Leica.

With my analoge and digital M I was in

• USA
  • Netherlands 
  • England
  • Poland
  • Germany
  • Belgium
  • Italy
  • Spain
  • Czech Republik
  • Latvia.

All these are 35 mm countries (and somtimes, at about 10 min a day, 50 mm countries). So I guess all countries in the world are 35 mm countries.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

In the Netherlands I use the Summicron 35 2.0 asph most, but in Germany I switch to the Summilux 24 as Germans drive bigger cars and faster, so I need a wider lens and higher shutter speed.

• Haha 9

Switzerland/Alps - Mountain Elmar

UK - outside of July/August you really need a Noctilux or a Summilux and tripod

Australia - wide/slow lens, 28/5.6 Summaron is ideal, 'she'll be right'.

Jamaica - something Russian, preferably scratched/damaged or riddled with fungus as it will only be stolen

• Haha 1

vor 54 Minuten schrieb earleygallery:

Switzerland/Alps - Mountain Elmar

I am Swiss an I do not agree. In order to have all the high mountains on one single photograph you need the 21 Super Elmar. And sometimes I have a bit a big mouth so the advice is again the 21. Summary: 21 for Switzerland.

5 hours ago, Mute-on said:

In my four trips to Japan all over Honshu - 28mm 60%, 35mm 25%, 50mm 15%.  If I had a Leica 24, I would estimate at least 15%, deducted from the 28. 

I agree. A 28mm for Honshu. Especially for a climb up Mt. Fuji. 

• Like 1