Q2 and the LEICA Premium Hybrid Glass protector, anyone?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I see your point with the actual cost being double or more what it would cost me for the same.  Do you really need it?  No, you don't.  Just as one doesn't really need a clear filter to protect their front lens element.  It only makes it less worrisome should a little dirt or misty rain happen to fall.  One wouldn't mind wiping a clear filter or screen protector with whatever is handy at the time, but the actual lens element or even a screen might make you be a bit more particular with the cleaning.

As said earlier, I still haven't installed one on my m10r...but I do use clear filters for the lenses. 🙂  Maybe if you inquire with the local shops, they might be able to help with a more affordable solution.

Enjoy your new Q2... 

On 7/3/2022 at 8:11 AM, canticleer said:

Hi,

Last Friday I got my Q2 and after charging the battery, installing firmware 4.0 and loading a SDHC card I have been reading the manual meticulously and testing out the camera. I have to admit I love the Q2.

Since the camera is quite expensive I bought the LEICA Premium Hybrid Glass Size 2 protector. That's a first for me. Never before have I bought or applied a screen protector, not for any camera I own, not for any smartphone or tablet I own.

And as you may have guessed all ready, I failed miserably in applying the protector. It only took me seconds to leave a clearly visible fingerprint and several dust spots on the adhesive side of the protector. When I then put it on the LCD it looked ridiculous. So I removed it again.

I have two questions. Do you Q2 owners think a screen protector is recommended (how many of you do actually have a protector on their Q2)? And is there a way to salvage my stained LEICA Premium Hybrid Glass protector.

Cheers.

Yes, I use LCD screen protectors on all my cameras. My M9's LCD was saved because of it, despite a drop of 4ft on hard concrete. The protector was shattered, but the fragments remained in the film, just like a car windshield. It absorbed enough force to leave the LCD intact. 

If you can't "salvage" your current protector, I would just buy one of these: https://www.amazon.com/3-Pack-Tempered-Protector-Compatible-Digital/dp/B07LH3GYBL/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1TJ18Y72VR1BD

I have subjected my Q2 to the school of hard knocks and can see that these protectors actually work as advertised.

In the early days of digital I used screen protectors.  But since most manufacturers have gone to using sapphire glass for their screens I don't bother.

I have a number of high end watches...they all have sapphire crystals (as opposed to the mineral glass on cheaper watches and early digital cameras).

Sapphire is very hard (as in gemstone hard)...if you google info on them you'll find they are virtually scratch proof.  They can shatter with a really hard impact, but if you whack it that hard a screen protector isn't really going to help.

I just use generic tempered glass screen protectors on my M10-P and Q2. Got them for around USD3 each. Sticks to the screen very well and I have not managed to scratch them yet after 2.5 years so I'd say they are serving their purpose extremely well so far. 

On 7/5/2022 at 10:31 PM, Siriusone59 said:

Enjoy your new Q2... 

Thank you, I will. Tuesday I received the Leica Thumb Support and two extra batteries. Both weren't available at time of purchase. I also got the printed manual in the mail and Leica Germany agreed to send me a new Leica Premium Hybrid Glass protector after my first failed attempt to apply the one I bought. Happy with how things are developing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ravinj said:

If you can't "salvage" your current protector, I would just buy one of these: https://www.amazon.com/3-Pack-Tempered-Protector-Compatible-Digital/dp/B07LH3GYBL/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1TJ18Y72VR1BD

Thanks for the link. Leica Germany agreed to send me a new Leica Premium Hybrid Glass protector. If I fail again to install it, I might have a look at those tempered glass protectors.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, bobtodrick said:

Sapphire is very hard (as in gemstone hard)...if you google info on them you'll find they are virtually scratch proof.  They can shatter with a really hard impact, but if you whack it that hard a screen protector isn't really going to help.

You're probably right. I did some reading on the Corning Gorilla Glass Leica uses on the LCD's and it sounds like it's just as scratch resistant as any available screen protector. If the new Leica Premium Glass Protector Leica Germany agreed to send me isn't working out, I might (or might not) just leave it like it is. The jury is still out on that one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2022 at 1:37 PM, William Cook said:

Sorry for the late reply to your request for a link; I haven’t been on the site for a few days.

No worries William. Thanks for the link. For now I'll settle for Leica Premium Hybrid Glass protector Leica sent me. But I will keep a true glass protector in mind.