Leica M11 Black Wear

trequartista

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wouldn't it be nice if Leica had continued using the small protective pieces on the sides of the body where the strap rubs? This is my M9. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by fotografr

But then this pieces would have been scratched and the camera would loose its value.

Sorry, I don´t really understand these discussions. Of course I handle my M11 with care but in the end it is a tool. Signs of use are unavoidable. A car is much more expensive but nearly nobody would start a discussion like this about a car. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, elmars said:

But then this pieces would have been scratched and the camera would loose its value.

Sorry, I don´t really understand these discussions. Of course I handle my M11 with care but in the end it is a tool. Signs of use are unavoidable. A car is much more expensive but nearly nobody would start a discussion like this about a car. 

In my opinion it's a resale issue. Personally, I couldn't care less if my camera shows wear, but if I ever decide to sell it the price I can get will be determined by how it function and how it looks. Just like a car. 

Also, I don't know what the small protective piece on the M9 is made of, but it shows no wear or scratching at all and it's 12 years old. Probably plastic. 

Edited by fotografr
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fotografr said:

Wouldn't it be nice if Leica had continued using the small protective pieces on the sides of the body where the strap rubs? This is my M9. 

The leather flaps the strap came with work perfectly fine. 5+ years with my M10 and there's pretty much no visible wear on this part of the camera. Also, who cares about wear - this is cosmetic only. If you buy a camera to resell it and to only use it ever so gently it's being shortchanged IMO - maybe this isn't the best tool for the job. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pgh said:

The leather flaps the strap came with work perfectly fine. 5+ years with my M10 and there's pretty much no visible wear on this part of the camera. Also, who cares about wear - this is cosmetic only. If you buy a camera to resell it and to only use it ever so gently it's being shortchanged IMO - maybe this isn't the best tool for the job. 

Speaking for myself, I don't buy cameras to resell or to wear for cosmetic purposes. If you'd bother to look at my posting history you'd see that I use my cameras daily. I carry a camera nearly everywhere, and not in a bag. The M9M I have now is the only M I've used that hasn't developed wear marks from the straps.

I know from my past experience selling cameras on the Fred Miranda Forum that people gauge how much use a camera has had and how well it's been treated by looking at photos of them. Like it or not, wear marks are considered by many to be a good indicator.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, fotografr said:

Speaking for myself, I don't buy cameras to resell or to wear for cosmetic purposes. If you'd bother to look at my posting history you'd see that I use my cameras daily. I carry a camera nearly everywhere, and not in a bag. The M9M I have now is the only M I've used that hasn't developed wear marks from the straps.

I know from my past experience selling cameras on the Fred Miranda Forum that people gauge how much use a camera has had and how well it's been treated by looking at photos of them. Like it or not, wear marks are considered by many to be a good indicator.

Ha I know, I get great deals on stuff with super low shutter counts because it has a ding. Meanwhile my m10 has probably north of 75k actuations and cosmetically probably a 9. That's luck, for me, though I usually somehow keep my cameras looking fairly fresh. Silly way of valuing things in many cases (of course sometimes cosmetic wear does correlate with use), but I sure don't mind it. All due respect, I don't comb through people's post history - in any forums. It's sort of a weird thing to do IMO. Like, I am not that invested in trying to sort out what anonymous internet figure made a statement I didn't entirely agree with. 

3 hours ago, pgh said:

All due respect, I don't comb through people's post history - in any forums. It's sort of a weird thing to do IMO. Like, I am not that invested in trying to sort out what anonymous internet figure made a statement I didn't entirely agree with. 

Yes, I understand that and don't disagree. But if you're going to imply that someone is so concerned about the cosmetics of their cameras that they aren't putting them to good use, a little fact checking might be a good idea. I think the majority of people who are active on this forum are photographers who use their cameras regularly and perhaps daily. It's possible to use them heavily and still keep them in good condition, cosmetically and functionally.

Edited by fotografr

11 hours ago, fotografr said:

Yes, I understand that and don't disagree. But if you're going to imply that someone is so concerned about the cosmetics of their cameras that they aren't putting them to good use, a little fact checking might be a good idea. I think the majority of people who are active on this forum are photographers who use their cameras regularly and perhaps daily. It's possible to use them heavily and still keep them in good condition, cosmetically and functionally.

Im one of this users 😆 , well trying to keep ‘em in great conditions 

i wont mind brassing, but cant stand dings and dents typically 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 9:11 AM, fotografr said:

These were eliminated on the M10 platform for better weather sealing.  I’ve since added small round black leather donuts over the strap lugs and under my standard 14312 straps (now discontinued). No marks on my M10R/M bodies.  Simple, inexpensive and effective. I forget they’re there.

Jeff

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jakontil said:

Im one of this users 😆 , well trying to keep ‘em in great conditions 

i wont mind brassing, but cant stand dings and dents typically 

I'm also that way. I treat my M bodies the same way I treat my cars. I maintain them and keep them looking good because when I trade for a newer version it pays off.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

These were eliminated on the M10 platform for better weather sealing. 

Jeff

So, those protective pieces are actually built into the body? I can't tell by looking at it but I just assumed they were placed on with an adhesive. If built into the body, it makes perfect sense to eliminate them.

Brent

Just now, fotografr said:

So, those protective pieces are actually built into the body? I can't tell by looking at it but I just assumed they were placed on with an adhesive. If built into the body, it makes perfect sense to eliminate them.

Brent

Yes, built in.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

All cameras are meant to be used. Digital cameras more so, as they have a shorter life (10-15 years) as compared to film cameras 30-50+ years). 

Use them well and don't worry about scratches, rubbing, dings etc. Your returns are in the quality of images taken.

If you have a camera in mint condition, what a waste, as you probably have not used it well!

If buyers are picky and want to buy a camera in mint condition from you, point them to a store!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, fotografr said:

I'm also that way. I treat my M bodies the same way I treat my cars. I maintain them and keep them looking good because when I trade for a newer version it pays off.

I haven’t really considered the resale value, but i just try to keep ‘em in perfect shapes

for me a camera is more than just a tool… it’s part of me 😂😂😂

wanna talk bout usage? My less than a year old MP have already run through 300 rolls of films, i use my camera extensively while maintaining it at the same time, that’s how I appreciate it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rramesh said:

All cameras are meant to be used. Digital cameras more so, as they have a shorter life (10-15 years) as compared to film cameras 30-50+ years). 

Use them well and don't worry about scratches, rubbing, dings etc. Your returns are in the quality of images taken.

If you have a camera in mint condition, what a waste, as you probably have not used it well!

If buyers are picky and want to buy a camera in mint condition from you, point them to a store!

Nobody said anything about not using the cameras, but using them does not mean you have to bang them up. It's possible to use a camera heavily and still keep it looking good. I've done it for 40 years and I used them professionally, so not at all lightly.

I'm certainly not going to suggest anyone else has to treat their cameras the way I do. If you feel the need to scratch, dent and nick up your cameras as evidence that you're using them well, by all means have at it.

When the paint starts to peel on the exterior of your home, do you just let it go because it's only cosmetic?

Edited by fotografr
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2022 at 3:46 PM, jakontil said:

I was very close getting this until i decided i want to keep the m11 compact, while i still use the RRS plate for the M10R BP 

Jakontil, I Must Say Try The Grip With The M11 With The Fingerloop. Give It A Day And Return It If You Don't Like It. Because Two Of My Friends And I To Be Honest Thought The Same. I Bought The Grip At First To Hide The Shame.... But Leica Store Dubai God Bless Them Gave Me A Finger Loop With It. Its Not Like The M10 Grip At All. I Hated On It Until I Tried It.

My Two Other Friends Use The Grip Without The Loop. Made Me Get A Loop For My CL Lol. If You Want I Can DM You My Instagram Tag To Look At My Reviews (I Keep Them As Saved Stories). Oh It Made Me Also Make A Custom Grip For My CL (Leather Swapped, And Now Im A Loop Guy..) Except For My M10's And SL Ofcourse! And Dlux Doesnt Have A Loop But The Grip Is A Must With The "Ripley Scott".

Attached Are Photos Of The M10D/M11 With Grip And My Fresh CL :p.

Edit: Added "And My Fresh CL :p"

Edited by Santos
Added Text
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Santos said:

Jakontil, I Must Say Try The Grip With The M11 With The Fingerloop. Give It A Day And Return It If You Don't Like It. Because Two Of My Friends And I To Be Honest Thought The Same. I Bought The Grip At First To Hide The Shame.... But Leica Store Dubai God Bless Them Gave Me A Finger Loop With It. Its Not Like The M10 Grip At All. I Hated On It Until I Tried It.

My Two Other Friends Use The Grip Without The Loop. Made Me Get A Loop For My CL Lol. If You Want I Can DM You My Instagram Tag To Look At My Reviews (I Keep Them As Saved Stories). Oh It Made Me Also Make A Custom Grip For My CL (Leather Swapped, And Now Im A Loop Guy..) Except For My M10's And SL Ofcourse! And Dlux Doesnt Have A Loop But The Grip Is A Must With The "Ripley Scott".

Attached Are Photos Of The M10D/M11 With Grip And My Fresh CL :p.

Edit: Added "And My Fresh CL :p"

Hi santos, i love your M10D 😂😂😂 did you sandblast your lux? Or natural cause?

what’s your IG? I dont mind the leica grip, what i mind is i hesitate putting a black grip on my silver m

• Like 1