Big issue with the Q2 with manual exposure 😬

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, bobtodrick said:

So in the years now that the Q/Q2/SL2/SL2-s has been available this is the first time I have seen anyone concerned about this issue.  So it would seem that it is an 'issue' that applies to your very specific shooting method, and not an issue for 99% of users.

I think this is the part I’m genuinely confused and perplexed about. 

Shooting a Leica in manual exposure mode while using continuous autofocus - that’s a niche way to shoot? So niche and unique that after years of the cameras being used, no one has ever noticed that the manually dialled in exposure settings don’t continue to preview while focusing?

1 hour ago, bcapphoto said:

I think this is the part I’m genuinely confused and perplexed about. 

Shooting a Leica in manual exposure mode while using continuous autofocus - that’s a niche way to shoot? So niche and unique that after years of the cameras being used, no one has ever noticed that the manually dialled in exposure settings don’t continue to preview while focusing?

I would guess (and it’s just a guess) that 99% of people use the Q2 in one of the autoexposure modes. Some, like me, will use EC as well. 

Good news!

I heard back from Leica Miami. They spoke with the Leica tech team and they acknowledged that this is a "known issue" - it's the sensor "gaining up to improve AF" but it doesn't happen in any of the auto modes. So yes, it's a bug. They said that "Leica is generally responsive for bug fixes and has a proven track record of regular firmware updates. So, hopefully this gets resolved quickly" - I asked them to clarify when we can expect, so hoping to get some kind of estimate there. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, bcapphoto said:

Good news!

I heard back from Leica Miami. They spoke with the Leica tech team and they acknowledged that this is a "known issue" - it's the sensor "gaining up to improve AF" but it doesn't happen in any of the auto modes. So yes, it's a bug. They said that "Leica is generally responsive for bug fixes and has a proven track record of regular firmware updates. So, hopefully this gets resolved quickly" - I asked them to clarify when we can expect, so hoping to get some kind of estimate there. 

Kudos for their response...as I mentioned in my post hopefully Leica will address it in a future firmware update..

If only there were a metering mode that would let you shoot against bright backgrounds/backlit subjects while metering the subject instead of the entire scene..

My Nikon even has a metering mode that exposes for the bride's dress to insure it won't blow out, lol

2 hours ago, mbphotox said:

If only there were a metering mode that would let you shoot against bright backgrounds/backlit subjects while metering the subject instead of the entire scene..

My Nikon even has a metering mode that exposes for the bride's dress to insure it won't blow out, lol

You mean spot metering?

That works in an auto mode but not manual. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, bcapphoto said:

Good news!

Great news! I experience this only with my SL2-S. I'm hoping they get something done.. maybe they'll name the bug fix after you ;)

1 hour ago, John Schell said:

Great news! I experience this only with my SL2-S. I'm hoping they get something done.. maybe they'll name the bug fix after you ;)

What other cameras do you have (Q, Q2, SL, SL2) that doesn't have this happen? Curious to hear! 

@bcapphoto, thanks for starting this discussion. Same issue with the SL2. I have found shooting in M awkward with the SL2, it works, but these cameras seem designed for auto modes. It isn’t possible to have direct access to aperture, shutter speed, iso and exposure compensation all at the same time without pressing buttons.

if you still have the SL2s and a AF lens with an aperture ring, a setup that I like to use, and might work for you, is the following.

Set back dial for EC. In A mode, set the front dial for ISO and for program shift in P mode. Set to auto ISO. I also set the camera to back button focus.

Put the camera in P mode. With the aperture ring set to A, camera is in full Program mode. As soon as an aperture is chosen via the aperture ring, the camera switches to A mode, with the front dial you can adjust ISO/SS, and with the back dial, EC. I checked, you can do this in AFc and continuously adjust EC in preview.

i like this setup because with 3 direct dials, I get control of A, SS/ISO and EC without pressing buttons or pulling up menus. 
By switching between AF and MF on the lens, I can also switch between AF using the shutter release, and MF with back button AF.

It isn’t perfect, but you can rapidly go from P for a quick grab shot, to having a lot of control. Works with Sigma C lenses, doesn’t  work with apertureringless SL lenses unfortunately.

15 hours ago, bcapphoto said:

What other cameras do you have (Q, Q2, SL, SL2) that doesn't have this happen? Curious to hear! 

Q2 and SL2-S for non-work related and travel / personal. I've had the Q2 for a number of years and never had any issue with how it is - not sure why it never came up. I don't use it for work, but in my travels I do tend to shoot moving people, dogs, etc. The SL2-S, right off the bat, I tried using it for model tests and my dislike of the way it is was immediate. Unable to see a live image preview is a huge negative. I am only using it now with vintage MF Minolta lenses, so no issues with AF-S or AF-C image previews. I don't know. It's a pain, but that's why my R5 remains my work camera above all else. 

On 7/7/2022 at 1:39 PM, bcapphoto said:

You mean spot metering?

That works in an auto mode but not manual. 

I'm fully aware of that!

I understand your desire to shoot in Manual mode, but at some point everyone, so I feel, has to realise that metering modes in cameras have come such a long way that they are usually better than the human handling the camera.

What you describe are difficult lighting conditions that you could very, very easily handle using spot metering with exposure compensation and auto iso.

AFAIK, manual mode with auto ISO does work with exposure compensation and spot metering.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I have opened a thread on what looks like a similar topic on the Q2, seems to me kind of the same issue:

when I meter for the light and use the back button reassigned to AEL, whenever I try to manually focus I loose the AEL metering. Same if I change the aperture (but that makes sense in my opinion). But why should the metering resets when manually focusing? That's weird.

I have opened a request to Leica through the app.

Edited by LCM94

• 2 weeks later...

ok, this is a bit of a necro post, but I'm going to reply as I think the camera is working as expected unless I've misunderstood what you're describing.   All the mirrorless cameras I've had have worked this way (unless I'm misunderstanding you).

The reason is for use with studio flash -- if you're exposure is going to be 100% flash (ie it would be completely dark if the flash failed to fire) as is the case with most studio photography, then it would be impossible to focus the camera if it insisted on showing the calculated exposure based on your settings, as the VF would be completely black.

I used to run a photography studio and any camera that didn't work this way would have been utterly useless to me.  So one mans outrage is another's absolute must-have feature.

Edited by ralphh

On 9/6/2022 at 2:13 PM, ralphh said:

ok, this is a bit of a necro post, but I'm going to reply as I think the camera is working as expected unless I've misunderstood what you're describing.   All the mirrorless cameras I've had have worked this way (unless I'm misunderstanding you).

The reason is for use with studio flash -- if you're exposure is going to be 100% flash (ie it would be completely dark if the flash failed to fire) as is the case with most studio photography, then it would be impossible to focus the camera if it insisted on showing the calculated exposure based on your settings, as the VF would be completely black.

I used to run a photography studio and any camera that didn't work this way would have been utterly useless to me.  So one mans outrage is another's absolute must-have feature.

Most cameras, including Leicas, let you turn off exposure preview, which is how your described scenario is handled. The issue described in this post is a different use case, and if it were working, it would not interfere with your scenario. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Leica has acknowledged the issue described in this thread as a bug.

34 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Most cameras, including Leicas, let you turn off exposure preview, which is how your described scenario is handled. The issue described in this post is a different use case, and if it were working, it would not interfere with your scenario. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Leica has acknowledged the issue described in this thread as a bug.

My apologies, I'd misunderstood the OP.  Having carefully gone though it step by step with camera in hand I can see what he's talking about now.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting an old post, but has anyone heard from Leica about a possible fix being issued?

I discovered the same issue as the op when shooting recently. I use the Q2M and like to shoot exposing for highlights by riding the despite comp dial. 

I was shooting a scene, set manual focus, adjusted comp, subject walks into frame so hit shutter. First frame is exposed as wanted, further frames the camera auto exposes between shots. 

Figured out a way to stop it after a couple of mins thinking. Assigned exposure lock to rear button, so I can point at highlight, lock exposure and shoot afc without auto exposure adjustments. Highly annoying through, as every other camera I have is back button focus, which leads to me forgetting myself when using the Q2M. 

Edited by sairento_sekai

On 7/5/2022 at 2:45 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

For clarification: are you trying to adjust exposure while your finger has half pressed the shutter button?
(I don't have the skill for that - doing anything with the shutter button half-pressed results in me inadvertently taking a shot).

In scenarios where focus moves and exposure changes, I use autoexposure+EC and AF-S. I don't see your practice as niche at all, but there is a very wide range of photographic practice out there.

That’s why it’s so important that many different people make the beta test for new cameras. 
did you write an email to Leica ? 
r tree his helps improve the firmware of the cameras. 
thanxs 

peter