Just checking...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Guys, I am new to the leica m6 and I am getting a random burnt out photo in my roll (see attached).

This isn't an issue on the whole roll. but this isn't a first photo. Do you think there could be a problem in the camera?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I just checked the negative - it's like this on the negative too... Here's the previous photo 

8 minutes ago, RayD28 said:

Shutter speeds?  My M3 gave somewhat similar results at some shutter speeds before I sent it in for a CLA.  

Maybe, but not sure. There's only one such file in the roll. 

On another role, there's another file like this 😬

4 hours ago, Dipal said:

I just checked the negative - it's like this on the negative too... Here's the previous photo 

Unless you got your film processed in a cheap deal where the lab doesn't send you the actual film but just sends a scan it's the film rebate (the unexposed edges and sprocket holes where the writing is, where it says Kodak, the frame number etc.) that can help diagnose problems.

12 hours ago, 250swb said:

Unless you got your film processed in a cheap deal where the lab doesn't send you the actual film but just sends a scan it's the film rebate (the unexposed edges and sprocket holes where the writing is, where it says Kodak, the frame number etc.) that can help diagnose problems.

Here u go.

Here's a photo of the negative.

The one I'm referring to is on the right 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, earleygallery said:

Can you take a photo of the WHOLE negative and post it here - wondering if the overexposed part extends beyond the frame area or not?

I just posted it - It looks like it covers the portion beyond the frame too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, earleygallery said:

Can you take a photo of the WHOLE negative and post it here - wondering if the overexposed part extends beyond the frame area or not?

As per advice above, a processing fault. If it were a shutter fault the issue would be contained within the negative (not file) frame area. A light leak from the viewfinder or back/base would likely show beyond the frame but in this case it's clearly down to the processing - bad that they didn't 'fess up to you, I would look for somewhere else to take your film.

Yup, looks like the film got stuck or otherwise mechanically damaged during processing. Still a bit odd though, as it is not the most likely area to suffer (generally the beginning or end of the roll is more often damaged, or there is more extensive damage). My guess is that the film was bunched up or pressed against something such that the chemistry did not reach that part of the film.

All that said, if by any chance it is not a processing fault, then I would suspect that it was a loading issue. It does look a bit like what happens when the film is not properly wound on the take up spool, which can cause the film to get damaged in camera. But I cannot think of any way in which only that area would be exposed to light.

If this is the only time it is happened, and the only one on the roll, I would chalk it up to bad luck and just move on with my life. But if it keeps happening, then I would talk to the lab, and also double check that you are loading correctly. I would suggest that when you load the camera, once you place the film in the take up spool, you close the back without replacing the bottom plate, advance the film slightly and make sure that the sprocket holes of the film are properly lining up with the cogs in the film advance. Once you confirm that they are, replace the bottom plate, advance one full frame, and then gently rewind the film until you have some tension on the film. Not too much, or you will potentially tear the sprocket holes. Just enough to keep a light tension. That will help keep the film from bunching or having uneven transport.

Edited by Stuart Richardson

25 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Has the negative been torn and stuck back together? There's a slight offset to the edge of the negative at the left hand edge of the defective area.
Clue: look for adhesive tape!

Great observation.  In fact I see something that looks like the edge of clear tape through the lower sprocket hole.  I also see what appears to be a bend/kink at the lower edge of the film a few sprocket holes to the right.  

Definitely looks like a lab screw up.

Edited by logan2z

On 7/2/2022 at 5:41 AM, Dipal said:

Maybe, but not sure. There's only one such file in the roll. 

On another role, there's another file like this 😬

There is definitive evidence of a patch job just to the right of "KO". 

I'd be curious to see if the other negative shows the same thing. Could the lab have done this twice?

Edited by plaidshirts