Visoflex I and OZXVO

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I picked up an OZXVO "Cable Sports Release" to use with a Visoflex I on a IIIf, to avoid the need for the unwieldy double cable release OZWTO when handholding the apparatus.

I don't fully understand how it works (some references say it is "pneumatic", others call it a "cable release") - but it worked fine for some time: attach to the shutter release button and to the mirror release knob on the Visoflex, press the visoflex side to preload, press the camera's shutter release; mirror flips up just before the shutter releases, perfect.

I picked it up today and the junction where the cable attaches to the Visoflex end of the assembly was loose; after retightening it, it doesn't work any more. Pressing the preload button just flips the mirror up and down, there's no locking action, and pressing the shutter release end doesn't have any result.  Since I can't even figure out how this thing works, I am at a loss as to how to fix it - is some adjustment or lubrication needed?  As I received it it appeared almost new, but of course could have been worn internally, I suppose.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by qqphot

Oh thanks,  I suppose I should have known to search in German as well. The explanation is clear enough, I think, though I suppose I'll have to pull this one apart and see if it is similar enough to the one illustrated. The operation is still mysterious to me!

Okay, I've figured out its operation. In case anyone else runs into a problem with this obscure accessory, here's what I found:

1. Pressing down the button on the visoflex side compresses and latches a cylindrical mechanism into its "short" position, which relaxes pressure on the visoflex's mirror button, allowing it to rest in its default (viewing) state with the mirror down.

2. pressing the button on the camera side extends the wire inside the cable release into the housing on the visoflex side, pressing the leaf spring inward, which allows the cylindrical mechanism to expand, in which state it is long enough (and its spring strong enough) to keep the visoflex's mirror button depressed, locking the mirror up.

3. the leaf spring requires only a very small pressure and deflection to release, and the cable from the camera end only moves a tiny amount when the button is depressed. The positioning of the cable where it attaches to head at the Visoflex end is quite critical - too far in and it never retracts far enough to let the cylinder inside move freely; not far enough and it doesn't extend far enough to press the leaf spring and release the latched mechanism.

4. The cable position is the only visible adjustment and is easy to set - the knurled fitting attached to the visoflex end is in two parts, one on the cable and one on the threaded tube. The shorter one is just a lock nut. Loosen them by turning opposite from each other, screw the larger knurled fitting all the way in and then back out a little bit until a) pressing and releasing the button on the visoflex end locks the mirror fully down (viewing position), and b) pressing the shutter release immediately flips and locks the mirror up.  Then thread the shorter knurled piece back against the longer one to lock it in place. That's it.

5. If the threaded tube attached to the head is loose, you have to tighten it from inside. First loosen the locknut, then thread the wider knurled fitting all the way off until it detaches, being *very careful* because when it comes loose, a very tiny push rod and tinier spring will pop out with some force. I spent a good 10 minutes trying to find the spring. Inside the tube is a slotted head which you can tighten down with a suitable flat bladed screwdriver, being careful to ensure the curved face of the outside mates properly with the curve of the head housing. Then put the spring and pushrod back, thread it back in place, adjust for proper operation, and lock in place with the locknut.

6. Inside the gray plastic tube is a regular coiled wire sheathed cable release. The wire sheath itself must thread into the broad matching threads on the insides of the tubes it mates with on either end. If you've spent any time twisting things randomly, it may have unthreaded from one end and will need to be put back. I imagine you could operate it fine without the plastic tube or with a replacement tube.

• Thanks 1

I am a great fan of the Visoflexes.  In some ways prefer the PLOOT on a tripod.  The mirror-raising button is on the left which I can press down on with my left thumb as I release the sutter with my right index finger.  My left hand is sort of wrapped round the PLOOT to steady the whole contraption!  Unfortunately I cannot get the PLOOT level on my M series cameras when using an LTM/M adaptor.

Here is a pic of the two OZXVOs.  The upper one is for M series cameras.  It came in a standard OZXVO box with no other code word: OZXVO-M?

Susie

• Thanks 1