First digital M. What to buy: M11 or M10-r, for (almost) the same price?

pastrunho

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy my first digital M – I'm a happy owner of an M3. I'm quite conflicted between the M10r and the new M11. I do not need the 20mpx difference, but I think that buying a new model would be better, considering as well long term usage. In Italy, where I live, the M11 comes at 8500€ and a good condition used M10r, that I found with only 1900 shots taken, at 6000€. The interesting part, though, is that with my job I can get taxes refunded so if I buy a new M11 I'd pay it "only" 6900€. Now, considering the small price different between a new 6900€ M11 and a used 6000€ M10r, what does make more sense to buy? I honestly think the M11, considering it's both the newer model and new itself. If I had to pay the full price I'd definitely go for the M10r, as it's absolutely perfect for my need, but considering the small price gap I'm leaned towards the M11. Does it make sense to you? Do you think it's still better to go with the M10r even if it's older and used? 

Many thanks to everyone

M10-R is going to need one to 2 extra battery for the day

M11 you can go out with one. I have a 2nd one and almost never use it.

I am finding benefits in the M11 often. the other day I went out with M1oM and M11 with 1,4 lens.. with M11 I could shoot not problem at 1.4 and M10M not so much. needs ND filters or higher F-stop

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

That is a no-brainer: M11, if only for the higher resale value in the (far?) future

Why not just buy a camera with the intention of using it for its entire life? If I had to bet I think the focus on resale value really limits the photography people actually do. In fact I've seen it - posts where people go "I'm not taking my $xxxx camera to do this!" - It's like well what on earth did you buy it for then? Are you interested in being a collector or a photographer? 

To the OP - it just depends on what that extra 900€  will do for you. I would probably get the M10-R and look at putting towards another lens with the difference saved, but I slightly prefer the files from it more - and all of the other improvements to the M11, while great, are things I just don't personally care about - I never found the battery life a problem in the M10's for example. I also actually prefer the weight of the M10 series black camera bodies. You can't go wrong either way, though. And yea, I guess if you're worried about selling (if this is the case maybe rent one first), then I guess the M11 will be better for that too. 

Not focus on, but a consideration with such a small price difference. My experience: one Leica begets a number of other Leicas and in the end  one thins out the collection. My M8s were relocated after I bought the M9 and MM - the M240 was sold, but in the end I still have the same number of Leica cameras I used to have  ;) Of course one has to contemplate eternity, but in a digital and rapidly evolving world, it is a fleeting concept.

For the same price, I’d go with M11, unless there’s a specific reason why the M10-R is more tempting, such as black paint version

regardless which is better, in digital era what matters more is which is newer lol

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

Same reason as your car.

I generally drive my cars into the ground, or close to it, and buy them used, so yea. Upgrades are not needed nearly as often as brands like to tell us they are. 

Thanks a lot guys. 
I’ve got no intention to sell it, at least not for a few years. What I want is a camera that I can bring everywhere and that would last me years and years. 
I own a beautiful Hasselblad X1D ii but I use it for still life and fashion stuff, what I miss is a digital M. I used to take my M3 around everywhere but lately it has been forgotten on a shelf, which it’s sad. 

As far as lenses I’ve got a 50 summicron and, when I’ll be able to afford it I’ll get a 35 as well. Later, maybe, a 90. But for now I don’t want too many lenses, and I’ll be very happy to walk around just with the 50

I went for the M11 - and also only have a 50mm Summicron. 

I chose the M11 for the extra cropability, which I see isn’t a factor for you.  A secondary factor though was the battery. I also have a Q2 and find the way of inserting/removing the battery to be so easy, and the extra capacity means I don’t bother to take an extra battery with me most days

...but considering the small price gap I'm leaned towards the M11. Does it make sense to you? Do you think it's still better to go with the M10r even if it's older and used?

M11. Without question. 

Not that the M10R can't haul the mail - but if the M11 is within your means, the choice is obvious.

1 hour ago, darylgo said:

the M10 is at the end.  

This is just bollocks. 

My M10 is fresh as a daisy. People still make great work with m9's. 

We really do not need to perpetuate endlessly wasteful consumption just because a new version is available. Most M users I know care about just a few things: the form factor, the sensor, and the lens on it. The M11 is great! It's a great camera. But unless you squint hard (admittedly, that's what this forum is for) it is hardly a different camera from the M10 - the sensor is the big difference, really the only material difference to my mind, and next to an M10-r, that difference is...not big...at all. Your M10-r is not going to magically break any earlier, or magically become incompatible any earlier. Actually, the M10 bodies feel a little sturdier to me. 

Get whatever you want, but let's not help perpetuate wasteful planned obsolescence, especially with incredibly expensive consumer goods.