M camera on camera flash.

Photoworks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

not to many little flashes compatible with M cameras unless manual mode.

Some people use the little fuji flash, there are tiny and sometime perfect for it.

godox has announced Godox Lux Junior. there is an auto mode that is camera independent . just like the Nikon flashes from the 80-90's.

I may be a good option for me, but maybe interesting for you too..

• Like 1

I think what you are missing is the fact that it can do auto exposure by changing the duration of the flash. it is camera independent.

it is like my Metz 60 and 45 use to be and the Nikon sb-24, 22.

It does not need TTL and it is not full manual.

The challenge with manual setting is that you have to keep distance to your subject the same and same environment . you can't use the same setting Information and outdoor with out adjusting everything.

Thanks for posting this info.  I've been looking for a small flash with at least an AUTO mode to keep things less complicated.  Was considering the sf 40 with its TTL but this one appears to be about $500 less.  Think I'll wait until it becomes available (B&H says mid August) and then decide.  Maybe by then there will be more reviews.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used to use a Metz 45CL-4 off camera hand held, triggered by an wireless Ares flash trigger set. 

I finally got tired of that heartache, bit the bullet and paid $560 American for the $100 China made Leica SF 40 flash unit. 🤢

Go thou and do likewise.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

The overpriced and rebadged Nissin flashes work well on the M’s, especially the SF40. Even the SF60 isn’t too big for an M.

I would expect now that Leica has opened its protocols to Godox and Profoto that we will soon see those companies adapt their speedlights to the L mount with TTL. I’ll be first in line for the lithium Godox unit on my SL but I’ll stick with the SF40 and 60 on the M.

I do like having an auto option though. SOmetimes with mirrorless it’s more reliable than TTL. Especially outdoors when a subject is backlit. Reading TTL off the sensor can give some weird results.

Gordon

• Like 2

The SF26 flash is small and works perfectly with the M cameras that have the ttl feature.  Won't work with some film M's.  Balances well on the M body, it can also be used in bounce mode.  No manual mode, no auto mode, it can work as a slave and has a led built in for video (I guess).  In use it is very simple and not finicky like my SF24D flash.   Leica has discontinued this flash, it's only available used.  

https://leica-camera.com/en-US/photography/accessories/flashes/flash-sf-26-black 

3 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

finally got tired of that heartache, bit the bullet and paid $560 American for the $100 China made Leica SF 40 flash unit. 🤢

Agree with this, too bad we have to pay the price for a good studio strobe for these Leica flashes.  

• Like 1

The SF40 is a wonderful flash for a Leica M10 body. If TTL is not critical, the cheaper Nissin i40 (Nikon) will also work well. Note that the Leica SF40 is a rebadged Nissin i40 with TTL added.

Edited by rramesh

I haven't used a TTL flash with my M's in ages. Does the M10-R/11 still have a noticeable pre-flash in TTL with the SF40? I'm currently using a Profoto A1X in manual mode and it's a brilliant flash. Profoto have just announced a Connect unit that will work in TTL with Leica L (not sure about M). 

6 minutes ago, charlesphoto99 said:

I haven't used a TTL flash with my M's in ages. Does the M10-R/11 still have a noticeable pre-flash in TTL with the SF40? I'm currently using a Profoto A1X in manual mode and it's a brilliant flash. Profoto have just announced a Connect unit that will work in TTL with Leica L (not sure about M). 

Yes on the pre-flash in TTL

it is camera dependent. it is much less on the SL2

On 6/30/2022 at 5:58 PM, Herr Barnack said:

I used to use a Metz 45CL-4 off camera hand held, triggered by an wireless Ares flash trigger set. 

I finally got tired of that heartache, bit the bullet and paid $560 American for the $100 China made Leica SF 40 flash unit. 🤢

Go thou and do likewise.

Got to thinking about it and decided that you are probably right considering my needs for an occasional flash that was easy to use.

Ordered one from amazon at a discounted price of $456.  Could have saved a few dollars with the other but it would require setting various things like iso, shutter speed and f-stop.  I'll find out when it gets here but I think its a good decision.  Experience helps a lot in this area, thanks!

• Like 1