Most reliable Leica camera

wanderingkiwi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I'm saving up for my first Leica. Either a Q2, SL2, or M11. 

All three models suit my needs (functionality wise), but I'm curious to know if there's a 'stand out' model which boasts greater reliability than the rest? 

Provided I take good care of the camera (keep it dry/relatively dust free/don't drop it etc) is one of the three models more fail safe? Is one considerably more robust? Does one have less complicated internals? 

I've read a few harrowing threads on this forum about cameras malfunctioning and long service times etc. It hasn't really dissuaded me from wanting to purchasing a Leica, because nothing else on the market really appeals to me. I value minimalism and great build quality. 

I don't want this thread to turn into a shit slinging match. I can appreciate that sourcing any of the three models requires quite a large financial outlay, and people tend to get quite passionate about their choice of camera (which is fine). I'm far from rich, and it'll take many packets of noodles and scrimping and saving to purchase one. I just want to choose a camera that is likely to give me the least amount of grief. 

Cheers!

WK.

There is nothing in the reliability track record of any of these three that should make you choose one or the other. Such reports of Q2 and SL2 failures as there have been are more or less equal. The M11 hasn't been around long enough to tell. You'd be better off picking the one you want on other grounds - they are all totally different.

• Q2: weatherproof, fixed lens, small.
  • SL2: large and heavy, great lenses, video-capable, weatherproof.
  • M11: rangefinder, manual focus, no image stabilisation, immense range of lenses.
Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wanderingkiwi said:

All three models suit my needs (functionality wise)

So, you are happy with either manual or auto-focus, don't need interchangeable lenses and happy with 28mm. Given the latter two I would go with a Q2 and save yourself some money.

If you have serious concerns about reliability from "harrowing threads" why take the risk. A Fuji 100v is an excellent mature camera, and saves you even more money.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pedaes said:

So, you are happy with either manual or auto-focus, don't need interchangeable lenses and happy with 28mm. Given the latter two I would go with a Q2 and save yourself some money.

If you have serious concerns about reliability from "harrowing threads" why take the risk. A Fuji 100v is an excellent mature camera, and saves you even more money.

Yeah a fixed lens suits my needs just fine. 

I've considered a Fuji X100V. But the greater image quality of the Q2 (etc) is enticing. Especially for landscape work. 

• Like 1

They are each such different cameras they should be chosen for what they offer, not any one chosen on reliability. As for reading horror stories on the forum you do understand people only report problems, not when they are very happy? So for one horror story there are thousands and thousands of happy but quiet owners.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2022 at 6:39 AM, Viv said:

Given your requirements, the Q2 seems a good choice.

The Q2 has no rangefinder mechanism to get knocked out of alignment if you drop it.

And it is weather sealed. 

These factors would seem to make a good case for it being a reliable Leica camera.  "Most" reliable Leica?  That's sort of a matter of opinion IMHO.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

Leica Standard. Nothing to go wrong except the shutter, no batteries, no rangefinder.

Or a I Model A or, if you can afford it, an original 0 Series. Ottmar Michaely told me that after a few tweaks to the focus, No 105 produced perfect pictures. The asking price (14. 4 million Euros) and the rarity make this a moot point for most Leica users. When you get into electronics other issues arise and the trade off between electronics and mechnical perfection is an interesting one. Is there such a thing as electronic perfection or are all electronic items ultimately disposable? A lot of the discussions on the forum seem to point that way. For example the following from 'M11 for me' above.

"I would never buy a camera (which is a hightech product) that is end of life. The Q2 is definitely EOL. But you are right. That is just me."

William 

Edited by willeica
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

...Provided I take good care of the camera (keep it dry/relatively dust free/don't drop it etc) is one of the three models more fail safe?...

If you do the above, any of the three cameras you ask about - the Q2, SL2, or M11 - should perform reliably. 

As for to hell and back reliability, either the M3 or M4-P would be about the best choice of all, but both are film cameras.

Dropping an M camera is an issue - the rangefinder mechanism can be knocked out of alignment.  Not every drop guarantees this will happen, though. 

You can adjust the rangefinder mechanism yourself if it is knocked out of alignment, if you are willing to take a shot at doing it yourself.  If you are on a photographic trip or expedition, being able to do this yourself would be a very good ability to have, along with cleaning your own sensor.

Here is a video that shows the RF adjustment process -

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...