Macro?

digilux22

Sigma offers superb Macro lenses. The 105 and 70 mm DG DN Art 2.8 for instance. There are extension tubes by Viltox and I am sure that our members will come up with plenty more suggestions. We 

so many options...

Just get the Sigma 105, it is new, made for mirrorless and good.  does 1:1. the only missing option is lens IS.

Leica has 90mm Macro M with macro adapter.

TL 60mm macro for cooped frame...

there is a 120 Macro from the S. slow focusing. big and heavy

• Like 2

sigma 105 which replaced the 70

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

hoping for lemons...

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am using the Laowa 100mm 2.8 2x macro and am very happy with it. The new 90mm Laowa macro is as good and probably even better, but in a much smaller package.

If you want to remain within the Leica eco-system, this video is worth having a look at: RedDotForum. They showcase every option Leica has to offer. I was particularly impressed by the Leica M 90mm macro with Elpro 52. Only problem with any of the options using elpro, tube-rings, etc. that you can't focus until infinity anymore. In some cases the field to play within is in the order of centimeters. That is why I like the Laowa's so much... from infinity to 2x macro, all by just rotating the focus-ring. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, digilux22 said:

Thank you all very much, I'll check out the lenses as well as the bellows.  Much appreciated!

keep in mind that macro lenses are optimized for a close focus range.

I got the extension tubes and tested them with my Summicron-SL lenses. This lenses in macro mode 2:1 didn't look so good. a dedicate macro lens would be better corrected.

• Like 1

I used the Apo-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60, mainly on the CL, but often on the SL. Now sold. My only macro is the 100R you mention, which I use solely with the ELPRO for scanning 35mm negatives at 1:1.

Edit. I sold the 60TL because I sold my CL system, but replaced it with the Q2, which of course has a low-powered macro mode.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Macro Elmarit-R 60mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thank you.

Novoflex came back with: "I´m sorry but I didn't have the chance to test this combination. So I cannot tell you exactly the magnification. I think you will get a magnification around 2:1 with the lens and up to 4:1 with the bellows. But I'm not sure. With modern lens constructions it is not possible (not for me) to calculate the magnification, because you don't get all the necessary information about the lens design."

May opt for the Sigma, if I don't get the itch for the Q... 

I think novoflex is implying that you use an SL lens reversed. I would not really recommend that. I would get the regular dumb bellows (with a L mount) and attach a more dedicated macro lens, or even a reversed enlarging lens. That will likely give you better result than a reversed normal lens. But that is really for specialized macro use where you want a dedicated macro lens and high reproduction ratios. One of the Sigma lenses is easier and more practical for things like 1 to 1 or larger.

The Q is not really a macro camera. You can focus very closely, but the working distance is small and the reproduction ratio is only 1:4. The Sigma will be a much more functional and cheaper solution.

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, frame-it said:

do people actually use AF for macro work??

Oh yes, all the time. I do editorial beauty photography and often shoot macro of hand, eyes, and other details. It is not 1:1 most of the time.
It is nice to have a 105 lens for it or longer, the 70mm is too short and you are too close to the model that the lens will block the lighting on the subject.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, frame-it said:

do people actually use AF for macro work??

I think AF tends to work fine with macro lenses and contrast detect af. But typically I use MF and back button focus. It was harder with phase detect slrs and limited af points. Contrast detect on live view tends to be spot on.

• Thanks 1