Leica SL2-S w/ 75mm APO Summicron vs. Fuji X-Pro3 w/ 56mm f/1.2

bcapphoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm renting the Leica SL2-S and 75mm APO Summicron from Lensrentals.com for a week. I'm exploring with it and seeing if it's something I can see myself integrating into my client work (weddings and portraits).

Up until now, I've been 100% Fuji (X-Trans) for the last 7-8 years and Nikon before then for 8-9 years. I thought I'd bring both the SL2-S/75 Cron and my X-Pro3 and 56mm f/1.2 (closest lens I have to 75mm) to compare.

Here are some side-by-sides. I looked for this kind of comparison as I was researching and couldn't find it, so I thought I'd share in case anyone else is in my shoes in the future! In these side-by-sides, the SL2-S is on the left and the X-Pro3 on the right. Each pair has a 200% crop next to it.

Quick gut thoughts:

• The SL2-S was way nicer to shoot with from an ergonomics standpoint.
  • The SL2-S EVF is far far far superior.
  • The AF on both are about equal. If anything, the 56mm f/1.2 struggled on my Fuji a bit more than the SL2-S.
  • The Fuji files hold up quite impressively when "fit" to the screen (first image on each pair).
  • The SL2-S is far sharper and crisper when cropped in.
  • The SL2-S (well - the 75mm Cron) is optically more well-corrected. There are less (err - none) flaws like chromatic aberration as you see on the Fuji images.

What are your thoughts?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here are 3 more images. On this one, I added a 200% crop from the top left corner of each. This shows how flawless the SL2-S and 75mm Summicron is, corner-to-corner.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Or a wide angle lens like the 35mm APO Summicron...or at higher ISO. You are reaping the benefits of having a much larger sensor and some of the best consumer photo lenses ever designed. If anything, it is a testament to Fuji how close they come (which frankly is not close if you look at the crops, which would be visible in a medium sized print).