Capture One for iPad

jakontil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I must be an outlier because I absolutely love the cloud sync in Lightroom CC, and don’t mind paying a subscription to access it. I have multiple devices for different purposes, and having to deal with portable drives and re-importing catalogs was always a pain for me.

That said, I really like C1 color editing and their approach to layers, so I hope they will add a full-functioning two-way clod to the app for people like me. Otherwise I have to stick with Adobe, because it fits my needs.

16 hours ago, Segal said:

I must be an outlier because I absolutely love the cloud sync in Lightroom CC, and don’t mind paying a subscription to access it. I have multiple devices for different purposes, and having to deal with portable drives and re-importing catalogs was always a pain for me.

That said, I really like C1 color editing and their approach to layers, so I hope they will add a full-functioning two-way clod to the app for people like me. Otherwise I have to stick with Adobe, because it fits my needs.

Dont get me wrong, i live the cloud storage and been using it solely since my ipad storage is minimal

what interests me bout C1 was its colour profile for m11 but since their masking now ready yet i might wait

On 7/4/2022 at 5:28 AM, jakontil said:

Dont get me wrong, i live the cloud storage and been using it solely since my ipad storage is minimal

what interests me bout C1 was its colour profile for m11 but since their masking now ready yet i might wait

I found quickly that I missed the masking, but i was able to get close enough using exposure and vignetting.  In any event, will download the first image from ipad through cloud to mac.  Curious, but looks like a great field start.

On 7/4/2022 at 3:23 AM, Segal said:

I also use multiple devices. Desktops and laptops and tablets. I mix Mac and PC as well. My main LR catalogue is on a 2xTB drive with any backups going to the device main drive. I have lettered and named the drive and so any device finds the catalogue immediately when I open LR.

If I has high speed internet (Australia is like a third world country in that respect for most people) and I worked on small image quantities I'd be fine. But I don't and my usual travel is away from developed countries. Cloud services don't work if I want to be easily able to have one master catalogue for my RAW files. I have 400K images in my main LR catalogue. No one can afford Adobes fees to have that many images in the cloud. LR Cloud is not a professional tool and not a single one of my colleagues uses it. The either use C1 or LR Classic.

My question is, if I load a bunch of images into C1 iPad, can I merge that *catalogue* with my master one in the desktop version, without having to load images up to the cloud and then download them again?

I'd be perfectly happy if I have to sync the catalogue via the cloud. I just don't want to have to upload and download terabytes of image files over days that I can do in minutes from the memory cards.

It seems that both companies offer a tool designed to hobble the workflow of travel photographers. So for now I carry a laptop and a tablet when I travel.

Gordon

On 7/3/2022 at 1:23 PM, Segal said:

I’ve used cloud synch with LR since it was developed.  I had about 4,000 images in the cloud?  Thereabouts.  About every 4-6 months there is a synch problem and 10 or so images will not synch, and then the whole thing is messed up because it won’t synch anything back and forth.  The only fix I had was to start over, and my internet is not that fast.

I don’t know if C1 will synch well or not.  They have one way at the moment (iPad to Mac), but their note says they did not want to wait for that to be completed before release.  I take it as they want more user feedback to keep improving (which I am more than happy to do) and there are other tools to be released, like color adjust.

In truth, I don’t mind carrying my small macbook and using an SSD drive for sessions on the go, then importing to my main raid drive at home.  It keeps the same C1 and I use Gnarbox 2.0 anyway for backups, and the S, SL and now the M11 have dual SD backup, so I think I’m fairly well protected.  Besides, international travel has much more expensive internet and hotel Wifi will limit you if you send too much data…. 

Just more thoughts.

17 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

I also use multiple devices. Desktops and laptops and tablets. I mix Mac and PC as well. My main LR catalogue is on a 2xTB drive with any backups going to the device main drive. I have lettered and named the drive and so any device finds the catalogue immediately when I open LR.

If I has high speed internet (Australia is like a third world country in that respect for most people) and I worked on small image quantities I'd be fine. But I don't and my usual travel is away from developed countries. Cloud services don't work if I want to be easily able to have one master catalogue for my RAW files. I have 400K images in my main LR catalogue. No one can afford Adobes fees to have that many images in the cloud. LR Cloud is not a professional tool and not a single one of my colleagues uses it. The either use C1 or LR Classic.

My question is, if I load a bunch of images into C1 iPad, can I merge that *catalogue* with my master one in the desktop version, without having to load images up to the cloud and then download them again?

I'd be perfectly happy if I have to sync the catalogue via the cloud. I just don't want to have to upload and download terabytes of image files over days that I can do in minutes from the memory cards.

It seems that both companies offer a tool designed to hobble the workflow of travel photographers. So for now I carry a laptop and a tablet when I travel.

Gordon

C1 iPad does not have a sync option. It is more to understand to be a cloud transfare to c1 desktop to a project you have

Some day you can sync back some settings

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i never realised the cloud service from Adobe and in LR, actually prevented me from spending big on my local storage device

for years i have been getting the basic, if not the second basic storage from idevices, a 256Gb should suffice while all my photos going straight into the cloud storage of 1Tb, may be this is one of the reason i still hold back from C1 

or else going back to old habits, backing up in the external storage every time

• 2 weeks later...

After playing with Capture One on the iPad, I was impressed with the easy interface and great results.  However, having just transferred 800 photos through their cloud connection, I am noticing a severe inconvenience: it takes hours.  Uploading the photos from the iPad took over 4 hours.  Downloading them to my MacBook took about 1.5.  I have a superbly fast fiber connection.  To make matters worse, the upload is only active when the application is active on the screen.  I had to turn off screen lock and put my iPad aside to let it plod on.  A simple cable connection would be far more convenient.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harmen said:

After playing with Capture One on the iPad, I was impressed with the easy interface and great results.  However, having just transferred 800 photos through their cloud connection, I am noticing a severe inconvenience: it takes hours.  Uploading the photos from the iPad took over 4 hours.  Downloading them to my MacBook took about 1.5.  I have a superbly fast fiber connection.  To make matters worse, the upload is only active when the application is active on the screen.  I had to turn off screen lock and put my iPad aside to let it plod on.  A simple cable connection would be far more convenient.

It was intended to transfer the selects. Internet speed on the iPad are limited by wifi.

it takes very little time to export to SSD drive and open them on the Mac.

Still many limitation for my taste, it will take few more uptakes to make it functional .

On the iPad Pro while using the Lightroom for iPad the output size of the edited raw photos in jpeg format is too low.. for example an edited dng of m10’s output jpeg size is not more than 6-7 MBs while it is 18-19 MBs on MacBook Pro.. I set every output setting on the iPad Lightroom to high but still the output sizes are too low.. what can be done to make them like the one on MacBook Pro?

I like Capture one for iPad for the output sizes.. they are just like the ones I get on my MacBook Pro..

20 hours ago, MyLeicaWorld said:

On the iPad Pro while using the Lightroom for iPad the output size of the edited raw photos in jpeg format is too low.. for example an edited dng of m10’s output jpeg size is not more than 6-7 MBs while it is 18-19 MBs on MacBook Pro.. I set every output setting on the iPad Lightroom to high but still the output sizes are too low.. what can be done to make them like the one on MacBook Pro?

I like Capture one for iPad for the output sizes.. they are just like the ones I get on my MacBook Pro..

Did you just use share, share to and save to camera roll? If so, when u share, use export as instead

see if that makes a difference 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MyLeicaWorld said:

Well never tried that.. I try and let you know ..

1 hour ago, jakontil said:

Did you just use share, share to and save to camera roll? If so, when u share, use export as instead

see if that makes a difference 

Well now I tried and got an output of 14 MBs jpeg of an 24MBs dng file .. well thank you very much for the tip 🙏🏻

• Like 1