Capture One for iPad

jakontil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I noticed capture one has released it’s ipad version with some caveats, no tethering at the moment

and can be bought only through subscription of 4.99 usd? I might be wrong … i have noticed some of good images were edited through Capture One which seems to be more ready with its profile colour for M11 compared to LR,  very subjective

anybody already use this app for ipad? I’m curious as my workflows for digital M is very ipad dependent, right now im using LR CC 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I signed up for the beta but didn't do much,.  As a result I have the new iPad version for a few months before it starts to cost me.  There are some instructive seminars to review, but the reason I didn't do much is that my Capture One workflow is not cloud-based, and that seems to be essential.

1 hour ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I signed up for the beta but didn't do much,.  As a result I have the new iPad version for a few months before it starts to cost me.  There are some instructive seminars to review, but the reason I didn't do much is that my Capture One workflow is not cloud-based, and that seems to be essential.

Exactly… that’s why i hesitate much, used to LR with its cloud based so seamlessly… trying to dig in why one probably make a switch here

Tried it for 10 minutes, then uninstalled. Some basics seems to be missing, e.g. crop tool is hidden as part of rotate tool, but only works constrained to original aspect ratio?

Definitely work in progress. Will try again next year.

@jakontil,thanks for posting this. It led me to find the link below. Capture One seems like a great tool and the made for iPad implementation seems quite nice. Having used Lightroom for so many years now and now incorporating Lightroom mobile to my workflow, I’m wondering if I am too far into Lightroom’s file management system to switch. 

Edited by Kwesi
Added link
  • Thanks 1

I have use Lr Mobile on the road many times and it failed to load many photos all the time. I gave up.

Capture one iPad is still new and functionality will be coming. But for now I can load 700+ photos from SD card in raw, or from SSD drive and start editing.

It took some time to lean the new way of doing it, but I was finally able to make and load some presets that I use on the C1P all the time.

The amazing part is that Capture one iPad has the same color rendering from the big brother, amazing camera profiles and they are just the best..

For me it is not a solution for everyday use, but I can see it becoming more dominant when I can tether a camera. at this point I am using PhotoMechanics6 to import , rename, tag and metadata edits before editing.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well that’ll save me some money. Thanks.

I DESPISE the forced cloud workflow of Lightroom on the iPad. If C1 also favours that I’m out. I would actually consider a switch if they allowed a professional workflow that doesn’t involve uploading and downloading my raw files.

I took 3000 images on my last big phototrip. The iPad should have been more than enough. Importing was slow but tolerable. What I can’t tolerate is having to upload all those images to the cloud and then having to re-download them, just to transfer any work done to my main computer. It’s a money grab by Adobe (and now apparently by C1) for sure. 

Not being able to copy the catalogue (without images) to an external HDD or better use my LRCC catalogue from a portable drive, makes all these options and the iPad pro nothing but a toy.

Looks like I’ll be carrying a laptop with me for some time to come.

Gordon

• Like 4

there is no alternative to laptop...

The Capture one for iPad does not need to use the cloud. You can load edit and export right on the iPad .

That is what I did during the beta period. the cloud sync was not even an option.

You can export an EIP file (raw+adjustments) to an SSD and open it back up in C1P on the laptop. Or just JPEG

• Like 1

I used Lightroom from 2.0 to the current version (a long time) on my mac and I used the ipad version some when traveling.  I took the plunge late last fall to Capture One 21 (and now 22) and it was a learning curve for sure. That said, the color ability and manipulation is superior to LR and once I got used to it, has definitely been worth the switch.

Capture One is first a desktop system and I do not see them moving to a cloud only version.  I have not had time to try the iPad version, but as I understand it, the iPad version is not intended to fully replace the desktop version, but allow (over time) full featured work outside of a desktop.  As the iPad Pro gets more and more powerful, I’m sure it could replace the desktop for some use, but there is always the problem of large disk storage for high megapixel files.

They have said that you can only go from iPad to computer at the moment and later this year you will be able to go from computer to iPad.  I would probably label this a version 0.8 or 0.9 but the improvements they make on the desktop are strong, so I assume that in a year or so this will be better fleshed out.  It’s still in infancy.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 5:58 PM, Photoworks said:

I have use Lr Mobile on the road many times and it failed to load many photos all the time. I gave up.

Capture one iPad is still new and functionality will be coming. But for now I can load 700+ photos from SD card in raw, or from SSD drive and start editing.

It took some time to lean the new way of doing it, but I was finally able to make and load some presets that I use on the C1P all the time.

The amazing part is that Capture one iPad has the same color rendering from the big brother, amazing camera profiles and they are just the best..

For me it is not a solution for everyday use, but I can see it becoming more dominant when I can tether a camera. at this point I am using PhotoMechanics6 to import , rename, tag and metadata edits before editing.

Thank you for the overview… for some time I’m blinded by the LR outputs.. it’s my main apps in desktop for converting negative too but i think having capture one alongside it wont matter much though the last few hours, for digital works i mainly use my ipad … i need the capture one in ipad to be as powerful as in dekstop 

13 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Well that’ll save me some money. Thanks.

I DESPISE the forced cloud workflow of Lightroom on the iPad. If C1 also favours that I’m out. I would actually consider a switch if they allowed a professional workflow that doesn’t involve uploading and downloading my raw files.

I took 3000 images on my last big phototrip. The iPad should have been more than enough. Importing was slow but tolerable. What I can’t tolerate is having to upload all those images to the cloud and then having to re-download them, just to transfer any work done to my main computer. It’s a money grab by Adobe (and now apparently by C1) for sure. 

Not being able to copy the catalogue (without images) to an external HDD or better use my LRCC catalogue from a portable drive, makes all these options and the iPad pro nothing but a toy.

Looks like I’ll be carrying a laptop with me for some time to come.

Gordon

Not until you mention about working straight from the HDD, i have forgotten it, yeah i have to upload through clouds and treat it as my storage

1 hour ago, davidmknoble said:

I used Lightroom from 2.0 to the current version (a long time) on my mac and I used the ipad version some when traveling.  I took the plunge late last fall to Capture One 21 (and now 22) and it was a learning curve for sure. That said, the color ability and manipulation is superior to LR and once I got used to it, has definitely been worth the switch.

Capture One is first a desktop system and I do not see them moving to a cloud only version.  I have not had time to try the iPad version, but as I understand it, the iPad version is not intended to fully replace the desktop version, but allow (over time) full featured work outside of a desktop.  As the iPad Pro gets more and more powerful, I’m sure it could replace the desktop for some use, but there is always the problem of large disk storage for high megapixel files.

They have said that you can only go from iPad to computer at the moment and later this year you will be able to go from computer to iPad.  I would probably label this a version 0.8 or 0.9 but the improvements they make on the desktop are strong, so I assume that in a year or so this will be better fleshed out.  It’s still in infancy.

Just my thoughts.

It seems inevitable that they will probably offer cloud based service some time in the future

the ipad pro, especially the M1 powered is quite powerful already, and the LR in ipad still not supporting hdr merge, its still overkill for casual and pro editing imho

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 3:32 AM, mzbe said:

Tried it for 10 minutes, then uninstalled. Some basics seems to be missing, e.g. crop tool is hidden as part of rotate tool, but only works constrained to original aspect ratio?

Definitely work in progress. Will try again next year.

Crop tool in regular Capture One defaults to fixed ratio, which you can overcome, but I haven't yet found out how to reset that default.  That's an annoying change that only happened in the last upgrade.  But Capture One's global editing tools are excellent and natural.   And it often renders better than Adobe products because its color calibration tends to be more subtle.

• Like 2

Aha!  My image storage is my laptop for about a month and then multiple local backup disks (which can go with me -- SSDs are incredibly small and fast).  I managed to miss the fact tht COne on an iPad is in fact connected by wire to a disk copy.  Or could be the one month holding vehicle.  The usability improvements on the table version seem to be exactly what I have wanted -- big dials instead of tiny sliders and images that rotate to use the full screen are not available on my laptop.  Sounds worth another try.  Maybe with an M1 tablet, as my 13" iPad is cracked and taped up and not terribly fast.

I’ve subscribed to C1 for iPad a couple of days ago, and so far the image it produces is more pleasing and cleaner than LR mobile, especially the sharpening tool is much much better than LR (same goes with their respective desktop versions). The controls are also more intuitive although the feature is still somewhat limited.

The cloud transfer to C1 desktop works well, however I have yet to find out how to sync back the edits made on C1 desktop to C1 for iPad. It seems that it’s only a one way transfer/import and no synchronization across multiple devices is available as of this moment. C1 also can’t do these things:  it can’t apply perspective correction to M11 raw images, no masking (I find LR’s subject and sky masking feature very very useful), no lens correction, and no chromatic aberration correction. 

Hopefully these features will be made available in C1’s future releases.   

C1 for iPAD has the same colors of the desktop version. Wonderfull color of the M11.

the iPad does not offer monitor calibration, but it quite good already and that would be the same for Lr Mobile.

C1 does not have cloud storage, and you don't need internet to use it. C1 iPad has clout transfer to a desktop C1P, there is nothing else you can do with that. but you can just export the raw with corrections and skip the internet.

v 1.0 is basic but the next step is tether shooting, exiting for me. Layers and Masking will come too.

On 6/30/2022 at 9:41 PM, jakontil said:

Hi @scott kirkpatrick, was the myth true bout M11 raws perform more pleasing in COne? Compared to LR

Probably, but I never use LR, since I hate Adobe, and know COne pretty well.

16 hours ago, Photoworks said:

C1 for iPAD has the same colors of the desktop version. Wonderfull color of the M11.

the iPad does not offer monitor calibration, but it quite good already and that would be the same for Lr Mobile.

C1 does not have cloud storage, and you don't need internet to use it. C1 iPad has clout transfer to a desktop C1P, there is nothing else you can do with that. but you can just export the raw with corrections and skip the internet.

v 1.0 is basic but the next step is tether shooting, exiting for me. Layers and Masking will come too.

COne has pretty solid layer and masking tools on the desktop, but I'd like them to take the time to make UI improvements that get the most out of an iPad with your thumbs and fingers in the right places.  When I shoot in sessions and edit on my desk, the "sidecar" files of settings for each frame end up in the directory that holds the original raw files.  Does exporting their settings and raw files from the iPad back to laptop storage produce data in the same format? 

8 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Does exporting their settings and raw files from the iPad back to laptop storage produce data in the same format?

well C1P does not a DNG export option like adobe where all the setting are included.

Capture one export the single image with setting in EIP, that is the same on the iPad version.

4 hours ago, Photoworks said:

well C1P does not a DNG export option like adobe where all the setting are included.

Capture one export the single image with setting in EIP, that is the same on the iPad version.

Hmmm.  I may be using a practice that fitted their architecture long ago (I started with these tools around 2007).  I create a session for each day of shooting, archive the sessions and jpeg output by the month.  Keep the selects on Flickr  and in albums to find them again.  The edit settings end up compressed into the day files.  I use Capture One's export tools to determine the resolution of saved jpegs, although obviously it can do much more.

What's an EIP?

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

3 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Hmmm.  I may be using a practice that fitted their architecture long ago (I started with these tools around 2007).  I create a session for each day of shooting, archive the sessions and jpeg output by the month.  Keep the selects on Flickr  and in albums to find them again.  The edit settings end up compressed into the day files.  I use Capture One's export tools to determine the resolution of saved jpegs, although obviously it can do much more.

What's an EIP?

I use sessions too, but the iPad does not have it in v 1.0

EIP is better explained in the help menu of C1P