Leica IIIf help

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently inherited a Leica IIIf from my father which he bought new.  As a photography hobbyist I'd like to try to use this.  From what I understand this camera needs to be serviced from time to time however I'm pretty sure my father never got it serviced as long as he owned it.  Should I get it serviced?  Thanks!

55 minutes ago, Andrew4530 said:

I recently inherited a Leica IIIf from my father which he bought new.  As a photography hobbyist I'd like to try to use this.  From what I understand this camera needs to be serviced from time to time however I'm pretty sure my father never got it serviced as long as he owned it.  Should I get it serviced?  Thanks!

Yes. And welcome :) Use a reliable third-party workshop.

Before sending it in for servicing, I'd try a test roll. While many old cameras benefit from servicing, some have kept their accuracy and smoothness. I've sent a Leica iif, Canon P, and Leica M4 for servicing, but not my M2, Leotax or Nicca - all from the 1950s, as they are still smoothly operating and have accurate shutters.  You don't say where you are from, but I agree with JAAP that you want a good 3rd party workshop to do the work. Personally, I've used DAG (Don Goldberg), YYE (Youxin Ye), and Golden Touch (Sherrie Krauter), all highly experienced and/or Leica trained, and specializing in Leica gear...BTW they're in the USA...you can Google their names for contact info. Also, there is a section on repairers in this subsection of the forum, were you can read other peoples' experiences and recommendations of Leica repairers around the globe..

Edited by spydrxx
referral to repairer thread to assist op
  • Like 2

I agree that you should use the camera with a couple of films first, it may be fine and you don't need a CLA. On the other hand it may show up some faults a technician should be forewarned of, after all a CLA is a 'clean, lube, adjust', and doesn't really deal with holes in shutter curtains etc. If you don't have a manual with it you can get one online

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/leica/leica_if_iif_iiif/leica_if_iif_iiif.htm

and especially follow the film loading instructions. You don't need a template to cut the film leader but it does need to be done to make life easy.

• Like 1

You likely should if for no other reason than that old lubricants dry out and become stiff, which could damage the camera if operated very much. Keep in mind that when you send it off to any of the usual people for service, you will not have it back for many months.