I've made some changes

For Leica I did the same keeping my anniversary M4 with 35/50/90/135 focal length lenses.  For digital I kept a FujiX100f so have not gone totally back to basics.  I find it much simpler to accept the limitations of film and not worry about owning the latest and greatest (and most expensive) digital body.  Now if only I could do what I have done with photography equipment with multiple motorcycles, life would be much simpler.

Life is so much simpler when everything I need can be put in a backpack for travel while keeping excess resources in a bank account. 

Edited by ktmrider2
added comment
  • Like 1

I don't see why shooting film only is 'going back to basics', you could easily say the same about having only one digital camera and a lens or two but it still takes skill and experience to get the best from either medium.  What the op has done is restrict his options and I would agree it can be liberating.

I like having the choice of film cameras of different formats and a couple of digital cameras for several reasons but carrying too much equipment can lead to  confusion, so my idea sticking to basics is to go out with a plan and a camera that is best suited to what I want to achieve. 

Yesterday it was an M10-R, today it's a Fuji GW690iii.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, kivis said:

Yes, back to basics. Sold everything digital (except my iPhone). Left with the M-A and a gaggle of great lenses; 21-35-50-90. I am now at peace ( with my photographic self). 🤗

I would have kept a digital camera to scan the film with.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

To really go back to basics, surely one should have a large format  camera using glass plates :D

maybe for some, but I have only used 35mm cameras since I was 14 years old, so that's the basics for me.

• Like 1

Very hard to define what "basics" is. Could it be the actual daguerreotype as the first photographic process? Or could "basics" be a Leica MDa with no viewfinder, rangefinder and meter and its user being able to produce at least 30 (out of 36) beautiful images, exposure & composition wise? For a generation that has never seen film, "basics" is a cheap digital camera with few functions, or perhaps a Leica M-D with no screen and menu.

For some, "basics" is having just one camera with one lens.

If the actual definition of photography is "the art or process of producing images by the action of radiant energy and especially light on a sensitive surface" (Merriam-Webster dictionary, around since the invention of photography), it should not necessarily mean (as @Ouroboros said) film only and I absolutely agree.

For me, "basics" is definitely minimalizing everything to the core. Digital or film.

On 6/28/2022 at 10:07 AM, kivis said:

Yes, back to basics. Sold everything digital (except my iPhone). Left with the M-A and a gaggle of great lenses; 21-35-50-90. I am now at peace ( with my photographic self). 🤗

What about film stock? Have you simplified there as well? 

I’m always drawn to the idea of standardizing on one stock, like Tri-X, and then never thinking about it again. I’ve been slowly gearing up for my own “back to basics” approach, which might be something like HP5 on 35mm and Portra on 120…..

5 hours ago, JoshuaRothman said:

What about film stock? Have you simplified there as well? 

I’m always drawn to the idea of standardizing on one stock, like Tri-X, and then never thinking about it again. I’ve been slowly gearing up for my own “back to basics” approach, which might be something like HP5 on 35mm and Portra on 120…..

Tri-X!