Unmarked 12504 hood that comes with an early 35mm summilux v2 with infinity lock

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all, 

I recently came across a very early (s/n is a few hundreds after Leica changed the form from steel rim to v2) summilux 1.4/35mm v2 (11870) with brass infinity lock. I took some side to side pics with my other late version of the same lens (3xxxxxx) along with some differences I have noticed. But the most noticeable difference is actually the hood that comes with it. It is unmistakably a 12504 hood, however unmarked (no script) and with a slimmer rim than the later 12504 hood. See the side by side comparisons below. I looked on the internet and was only able to find one at Schouten's. Do you happen to know anything about this hood? 

Please also see some side by side pics of the two lenses. I am sure this has already been analysed before but all this is new to me so please allow me to share them. 

Unmarked vs. marked 12504 hood: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The series 7 filter container ring without screws vs. with two screws (later version)

The slimmer container ring (up, older version) with fewer threads vs. the taller container ring (lower, later version):

Edited by yeahyoung
  • Like 1

More pics of the two lenses: 

In their own boxes: 

Different scripts at the front. Same colors of coating.

Notice the difference in the lens barrel with focus scale. The earlier version has a filed edge, while the later version has a sharper edge. Also the earlier version shows some groove textures around the barrel, while the later version has a more shiny and smooth barrel. 

Edited by yeahyoung
  • Like 3

And the focus knobs: 

More pics showing the subtle difference in the barrel. Notice the earlier version has "Canada" scripted next to the infinity lock.  

Edited by yeahyoung
  • Like 4

@yeahyoung wonderful post which will add some additional information about the small nuances in the various 35mm Summilux pre-asph versions. I happen to also own a v1 brass infinity lock version that is just 300 units younger than yours. My 1966 version is 216675x

I don’t have any information on the lens hood differences as mine came with a German 12504 (unknown if it’s original to the lens or not). Mine has the same two internal screws as the “Leitz’ one shown in your pics. Mine is marked ‘Leitz Wetzlar Germany’. I am also curious what hood originally came with this lens as well?

About my lens, my focus ring is also the earlier filed/beveled edge feature and it also has all the other characteristics of your early model. It’s interesting to see the black paint wear on the brass infinity lock. Mine is mostly all brassed out with an ever so slight hint of black paint under the corner lip.

Congrats on your new acquisition, these are incredible lenses and the brass infinity versions are quite rare to come across.

Beveled edge like yours

Brass infinity locked, black paint wear.

same block lettering as yours. My red alignment dot just slightly more pronounced 

Same blue-purple’ish lens coat

Edited by RMF
  • Like 1

Nice one @RMF. Yours's serial number is even earlier!

I think it would be helpful to point out these things. I already spotted a highly suspicious one on eBay (selling for more than £14k!) that does not come with the filed/beveled edge: 

In comparison, here is a genuine one from Boris's ebay shop: 

Both lenses have similar serial numbers. Hence I am suspicious about the first one. The quality of the finish of the focus tab also looks suspicious. 

• Like 1

Good find on the suspicious one on eBay; that focus tab/lock does seem to ride slightly high even from the slightly looking down angle of the photo. The one you posted on Boris's' eBay site looks pretty nice. 

Suspicious one on eBay: lack of bevel at the top edge of the focus ring and somewhat odd fitting focus tab/lock. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It looks that almost any batch of Summilux 35 has some small difference... 😉 Here is my 2.290.126.... age very close to the 2.167.054 depicted above, but I noticed quickly a small difference : the red dot... 🙂 plastic small bubble in mine, painted on the other.

The hood is Canadian ("Leitz Canada" white painted opposite to 12504) and has the two internal screws : different anyway from the "modern" one, which bears also the 1:2/35 spec)

The lens barrel has CANADA and LEITZ CANADA 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luigi bertolotti said:

I

Sorry... 🤒 I miswrote... those details do matter in these discussions... the writing is indeed "LENS MADE IN CANADA" . like post #6 above.

(I have also a Lux 35 with "Canada" - no capital - like 2nd in #5, but is a very old chrome one)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

2 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

It looks that almost any batch of Summilux 35 has some small difference... 😉 Here is my 2.290.126.... age very close to the 2.167.054 depicted above, but I noticed quickly a small difference : the red dot... 🙂 plastic small bubble in mine, painted on the other.

The hood is Canadian ("Leitz Canada" white painted opposite to 12504) and has the two internal screws : different anyway from the "modern" one, which bears also the 1:2/35 spec)

I thought the red dot on mine was painted because the plastic red dot fell off.

Edited by yeahyoung
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, yeahyoung said:

I thought the red dot on mine was painted because the plastic red dot fell off.

That is probably correct. They fall off all the time, and even if a new dot sourced from Leica was reglued, it may not look exactly like the original anyway.

@yeahyoungHere is another brass infinity lock in the correct serial 216#  placing in in the v1 range, it has the bevel on the top end of the focus ring.. this one is all pretty perfect from a very legitimate HK dealer although it has a hefty 19K USD price.  https://www.fotopia.com.hk/#!product/showAjax/4246/Leica Summilux-M 35mm F1.4 - Black / Pre-ASPH / Infinity Lock

About Summiluxes in those ranges... I think there is something wrong in the Wiki :

2289951 2290950 35mm f/1.4 Summilux (M3+M-ELC+ELW.black) 1968 1000

(and same ELW in 2 other near batches)

Afaik, only for the last V2 batches production was in Germany too... or there is some evidence of Wetzlar items in late '60s ?  I often tracked V1s (not systematically, though) and don't remember to have seen any.

@RMFfound one on ebay with the same unmarked hood. This one is with goggles and has the s/n 2167015 - only a handful before mine. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204025564044

• Like 2