Voigtlander 40mm Heliar asph f2.8 images

Ouroboros

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I just purchased a used version (the collapsible nickel version from 2014) as a compact travel lens for my Sony and I'm very pleased with the results! Optically it is identical with the recently released LTM and VM versions.

It is already tack sharp wide open (click so see the full resolution image on flickr)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ALUX
  • Like 4

f:2.8 as well:

• Like 1

f:2.8

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

f:8

Happy new year to everybody!

Edited by ALUX
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 6/26/2022 at 11:15 PM, Ouroboros said:

Cosina Voigtlander not only produce several lenses that closely rival Leica's own in manufacture, usable maximum aperture and iq, they also fill focal length gaps that Leica ignores or has abandoned.  I have plenty of expensive Leica M summicron lenses to cover most things, but it's the gap-fillers that interest me in CV's range,  the oddball stuff that they occasionally drop on the market such as the compact 35mm f1.4 single coated VM Nokton ii, the left-field but excellent 50mm f1.5 Heliar Classic that constantly surprises me in what it can do when you play around with different camera to subject distances, different  backgrounds and apertures and now the CV 40mm Heliar f2.8 asph

My interest in this lens was piqued after I read a number of positive comments online is the new 40mm Heliar asph.  I certainly don't 'need' a 40mm, I already have a selection of 35's and 50's, but the prospect of having a new compact slightly wide standard lens that I can use on the iiif as well as the M10-R and MP with the adapter was compelling. 

I ordered the silver ltm version from Flaghead on Thursday and it arrived yesterday.  This morning I dug out a Voigtlander 35/135mm ltm-m mount adapter from a drawer full of odds and ends and took my new lens along with my M10-R and iiif RD for a walk across the Island this afternoon.  I've yet to process the roll of TMax 100 from the iiif, but after looking through the first images from the M10-R, I'm very pleased with the lens. 

Voigtlander have hit another home run with the 40mm Heliar asph f2.8.  If enough forum members have one I think it's a good enough lens for a dedicated image thread.

Thank you for this post. I’ve been searching for a long time for a 35mm lens that renders similarly to my favourite leica lens, the 28 Summaron. Could this be it ?

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 3:15 AM, Steven said:

Thank you for this post. I’ve been searching for a long time for a 35mm lens that renders similarly to my favourite leica lens, the 28 Summaron. Could this be it ?

The Voigtlander does not vignette as strongly as the summaron at max aperture, but that is easily balanced in post.

They make a good pair for hiking and travel where weight and size might be a consideration, they share the same 34mm filter thread.  

They are both at their best with film in good light, I’m not keen on using either lens on my M10-R. My preferences are Delta & TMax 100, Portra 400 and Ektar 100..  I have the ltm version which I use on my if and MP with a 35mm adapter.

The Voigtlander is relatively cheap, if you do buy one and decide not to keep it, you won’t lose thousands when you sell it on.  

5 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

The Voigtlander does not vignette as strongly as the summaron at max aperture, but that is easily balanced in post.

They make a good pair for hiking and travel where weight and size might be a consideration, they share the same 34mm filter thread.  

They are both at their best with film in good light, I’m not keen on using either lens on my M10-R. My preferences are Delta & TMax 100, Portra 400 and Ektar 100..  I have the ltm version which I use on my if and MP with a 35mm adapter.

The Voigtlander is relatively cheap, if you do buy one and decide not to keep it, you won’t lose thousands when you sell it on.  

Thank you. I'm definitely trying it when I'm back from a trip. 

If by any chance, you know of a 35mm that might match even better the Summaron, feel free to tell me ! 

4 hours ago, Steven said:

Had that lens for a little bit. Loved it, but it didn't strike me as similar to the Summaron... 

35 Summicron v1 "8 Element", either original or the Light Lens Lab remake.

But the 35mm focal length compresses all the magic out of 28mm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steven said:

No, have both lenses, far from the Summaron 28. 

Can you describe the character of the 28 Summaron as you see it? That might help.

I don't think you can get the 28 Summaron character in a longer focal length – they are inseparable to me.

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

Can you describe the character of the 28 Summaron as you see it? That might help.

I don't think you can get the 28 Summaron character in a longer focal length – they are inseparable to me.

Very sharp but not clinical. Charming vignetting wide open. Saturated colours but not too much in your face. 3D pop, with a gentle softness. Contrasted but not too crushed or blown out. It’s perfect. 

• Thanks 1

Very sharp but not clinical. Charming vignetting wide open. Saturated colours but not too much in your face. 3D pop, with a gentle softness. Contrasted but not too crushed or blown out. It’s perfect. 

My M lens use up to this point has been mostly with digital, so just like language, I will have difficulty interpreting into film. Everything changes on film. And for film, I have yet to develop (pun) the sophistication required for recognizing character in the same way I can for digital. I'm in my cave man era of film discovery, because right now, there are only two categories of film looks in my head that are imparted from the lens – 1) super modern APO and 2) everything else.

I know for a first step I need to be writing down what lens I'm shooting with which shots. Too often I can't remember when the film comes back. The immediacy of digital has spoiled me.

You might be right. 

I hope I'm not. I'm glad you're on this quest, because I still haven't found a 35mm M lens I love other than the 35 Lux pre-ASPH.

(edit) I just ordered one of these CV 40mm 2.8 lenses to try out.

Edited by hdmesa