Recently acquired Mod II Leica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Advice please? Total newby. I have acquired a Model II Leica. Ser No.93276 which by my research should mean 1932  Lens is Leitz Elmar 1:3,5 F=50mm. Ser No. 144321.

I am plagued by doubts about its authenticity, mainly because it is pretty much in better condition than most I have seen on the auction site starting with E. I have looked at all the obvious info online which illustrates copies and fakes. It passes all the tests. It belonged to a relative of mine who was a keen photographer and is in an authentic Leica case which is also in fine condition. The one area that concerns me is the area around the tripod thread. There are three fastenings around it. Mine are screws, but I’ve been told that they should be rivets. Studying many photos, some show screws, others rivets.

All other characteristics are as they should be, sewn shutter, wheel type cam for rangefinder, it’s just this screw question that’s bugging me.. I stress that this is not a request for valuation, merely advice on authenticity. Thank you.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Even if they should be rivets, although I doubt whether Leica was that consistent, they could easily have been replaced by screws some point of time. Or the whole baseplate. Please share some more images of the camera. 

• Like 1

Looks like a feature of early production. A quick image search for Leica I base plates shows a similar pattern of screw heads. And here's another 1932 Leica II with the same thing:

https://filmphotograph.com/leica-ii-mod-d-black-early-production-1932

As Jaap suggests, post some more photos from various angles if you'd like an opinion on the rest of the camera. The shape of the viewfinder surround at the front, viewed from the top and front, is usually the quickest way to tell. An internal view of the opened camera can also show us a lot.

Edited by Anbaric

• Like 2

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Rannedge:

yes I removed it in order to remove the lens

you shall not remove this pin in order top unscrew the lens, it unscrews like this, with the pin in

10 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I think that the lens has a bit of haze. I would have it cleaned. Well worth it.

Although I have a degree of sentimental attachment to the camera, having inherited it, I have to confess that it has been in storage for a number of years.

I shall never use it, and it seems a shame that others cannot enjoy it. I am considering selling, but do not know the best way forward. I am loath to use Ebay and won’t go down that path.

1 hour ago, Rannedge said:

Although I have a degree of sentimental attachment to the camera, having inherited it, I have to confess that it has been in storage for a number of years.

I shall never use it, and it seems a shame that others cannot enjoy it. I am considering selling, but do not know the best way forward. I am loath to use Ebay and won’t go down that path.

Try our classifieds there is also a Leica group on Facebook The camera is well worth using though.