Leica CL offer ... 45% discount when upgrading from a Leica X series

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I was first notified about the 'gesture of goodwill 45% discount upgrade to CL offer' ... suggested because my Leica X1 could no longer be repaired, the upgrades offered were: 1) CL body only & 2) CL / TL 23mm combo. I then enquired if the offer could include a CL / TL18mm combination. It was this enquiry which was referred to Wetzlar for approval and was subsequently approved; it was not part of the original offer which to the best of my knowledge did not require Wetzlar approval ... and was likely already Wetzlar instigated/approved. 

dunk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just advised by Leica Duke Street the new CL / TL 18mm combo is en route for delivery tomorrow :)  ... 4 weeks and 4 days since receiving and accepting the actual offer and 5 weeks and 2 days since Duke Street first advised about the discount available for faulty X series upgrades. I was a little hesitant and waited to hear if the offer applied to a CL / 18mm combo as distinct from CL / TL 23mm.  The CL / TL 18mm is an excellent deal at £1801 in PX for the now 12 years young Leica X1 ... and I keep the X1's batteries, charger, lens cap, user manual and 'chest of drawers' ... latter will likely be offered FOC to friends who bought a s/h X1 as b/o with charger.   BW, dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, NigelG said:

£1800 is a great price - I’m swithering on new CL/18 combo’s at c£1900 as they’re only in silver. The 18 will go great on my silver TL2, but I’m not sure about a silver CL..?

I wasn't at at all sure about a silver CL either, but bought a new one earlier this year, simply because of a great price, it's really grown on me.  I thought the silver might show marks more easily but actually it feels like it will probably wear better than the black, and I did have 18 and 35 TL in silver anyway.   Having decided to shrink my L mount commitment to one CL body, it was the black I sold.  It maybe looks a little less discrete🤔 if that bothers you at all.

Edited by Boojay

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Leicas announcement that no CL2 is planned, no further aps-c development, and that support will be offered for the CL for a total of 6 years, then discontinued it is.

The official announcement Mid May.

Leica Camera AG has officially announced that it has discontinued the line of CL and TL cameras. 

"In recent years, the overall photography market has seen a decline in sales of compact and system cameras with smaller sensors," said the official Leica statement. "In comparison, the segment of cameras with full-frame sensors is developing particularly positively and shows continuing market growth. 

Many of us continue to be happy users... unhappy at the statement, and I certainly consider Leica missed a trick, given just how good the CL is.  All that to me is missing is one or two smaller zoom or prime lenses with the addition of image stabilisation, many example from other manufacturers..Fuji, Canon etc.

Edited by Boojay