Jump to content

Leica CL offer ... 45% discount when upgrading from a Leica X series


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last week when I asked Leica Duke Street if they could replace my Leica X1's internal battery (it's kaput, necessitating a time/date reset when the main battery is swapped over), I was advised that Leica Camera AG no longer offers support for the X series, but, 'as a goodwill gesture', can offer discounted part exchange upgrades for 'faulty Leica X series' to : (1) Leica compacts (40% discount) and (2) Leica CL or Leica CL /TL 23mm combination (45% discount).  Thus provided the offer is still current it should be possible to buy a new CL (from Duke Street) for £2200 less 45% = £1210 ... or a CL / 23mm combo for £2035 ... provided you have a faulty Leica X camera to part exchange.  Discounted prices are my own calculations based on Duke Street's published list prices. I could not find a CL/23mm 'set' price so totalled the individual prices.  

No mention was made of PX deals for non-faulty Leica X series cameras ... but mention was made of "attractive compact camera upgrade program" ... which I've not seen mentioned elsewhere ... so might be worth enquiring about. 

Only the TL 23mm was mentioned ... no mention of any other TL lenses.

Leica compacts would be the Pana-Leica compacts.

I have not taken advantage of this generous offer because I cannot justify another Leica ICL APS-C body ... I already have a T which suits my needs ... especially with its 'flip-up VISO' which is so useful for ground level imaging. 

Comments welcome ... are there any X series owners interested in the upgrade offer? 

BW, dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • dkCambridgeshire changed the title to Leica CL offer ... 45% discount when upgrading from a Leica X series
8 hours ago, fotografr said:

Since the CL is being discontinued, I wonder how long Leica will be supporting them? You might be trading one obsolete system for another. 

CL is not yet 'officially discontinued' ... but ... when it is, i.e when there is an official Leica Camera AG announcement, will likely be supported for at least a few years. To date there are only 'discontinued' rumours 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

CL is not yet 'officially discontinued' ... but ... when it is, i.e when there is an official Leica Camera AG announcement, will likely be supported for at least a few years. To date there are only 'discontinued' rumours 

Leica CL: "The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated." 😵

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

40% off a Leica CL is a great proposition -- I wish I had the chance to buy now, with that incentive, instead of last year at full price.

And FWIW, the 40% off is partially due to the general understanding that this camera's lifespan is more limited than some other current models. Nearly half price, if it's a brand new camera? I'd go for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2022 at 1:06 PM, dkCambridgeshire said:

asked Leica Duke Street if they could replace my Leica X1's internal battery (it's kaput, necessitating a time/date reset when the main battery is swapped over), I was advised that Leica Camera AG no longer offers support for the X series, but, 'as a goodwill gesture', can offer discounted part exchange upgrades for 'faulty Leica X series' to : (1) Leica compacts (40% discount) and (2) Leica CL or Leica CL /TL 23mm combination (45% discount).  Thus provided the offer is still current it should be possible to buy a new CL

Is it a local Duke Street program or it’s a Leica upgrade program? I have a Leica x-u with a bad screen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2022 at 8:02 PM, elambo said:

40% off a Leica CL is a great proposition -- I wish I had the chance to buy now, with that incentive, instead of last year at full price.

And FWIW, the 40% off is partially due to the general understanding that this camera's lifespan is more limited than some other current models. Nearly half price, if it's a brand new camera? I'd go for it.

45% discount on CL cameras & combos  ... not 40% ... The 40% applies to Pana-Leica compacts ... But only for upgrades from faulty X Series which are no longer supported and cannot be repaired / serviced by Leica Camera AG 

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, ynp said:

Is it a local Duke Street program or it’s a Leica upgrade program? I have a Leica x-u with a bad screen. 

It is not a general Leica program. My local Leica Store knew nothing about it, not could they match it after inquiring in Wetzlar.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, ynp said:

Is it a local Duke Street program or it’s a Leica upgrade program? I have a Leica x-u with a bad screen. 

Not sure exactly which Leica Customer Service section originally instigated / offered the upgrade. My upgrade was offered 'as a goodwill gesture' by Leica Duke Street / Leica UK HQ at the same time they advised there was no longer any X series support offered by Leica. Now having received my X1, Leica Duke Street London are awaiting Leica Germany's further advice ref actual discounted price to be offered ... The offer might be 'unofficial' / 'not common knowledge' at this stage ... Further news awaited ... But I'm hopeful of taking advantage of the discounted offer very soon. 

I've also arranged for my Leica T to be "full spectrum converted" https://www.infraredcameraconversions.co.uk/Conversions and hope to receive it back within a week or so. 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, elambo said:

Thanks for the clarification -- that's even better.

I wouldn't get too excited until we know the facts. Dunk now saying "(awaiting) further advice ref actual discount price to be offered".

Edited by pedaes
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is also quite unclear why Leica should make this specific offer. The X market has been dead for many years. Should they want to discount the CL they could just as well do so without taking X cameras out of circulation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, pedaes said:

I wouldn't get too excited until we know the facts. Dunk now saying "(awaiting) further advice ref actual discount price to be offered".

 

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

It is also quite unclear why Leica should make this specific offer. The X market has been dead for many years. Should they want to discount the CL they could just as well do so without taking X cameras out of circulation.

Yes   ... I was under the impression that on receipt of my 'not fully functional but working' X1 (to in effect be, 'part exchanged'), I'd receive an invoice for the purchase of a 'gesture of goodwill, 45% discounted' Leica CL/TL 18mm combination  ... But now await further news of actual price which will be advised / confirmed by Leica Germany. Thus purchase completion delayed ... but I'm still hopeful of acquiring the discounted CL/TL18mm in the near future ... and will advise further in due course. Meantime, after "counting my chickens... " (maybe a little prematurely) I've ordered a lens hood for the TL18mm and 39mm stepping rings to use other accessories. 

BW, dunk 

EDIT:  Ref 'X market has been dead for many years' ... not the case with s/h X series and users' enthusiasms for same ... especially the X Vario  ... which was very unfairly 'slagged off' on launch by those who did not understand its design concept and who'd never tried it ... but which has now reached 'cult' status and commands relatively high s/h prices. All Leica X series models are regularly praised and reviewed by Macfilos' contributors ... who continue to extol the cameras' virtues. My own XV continues to be one of my most regularly used cameras ... especially for Q&D close-up imaging with the addition of ancient but very useful Leitz Elpros. The X Vario was the 'world's first' APS-C digital compact zoom camera. Unfortunately its less than average marketing both pre and post launch did not result in anticipated sales.  

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was not referring to the quality of the cameras nor the enthusiasm of the actual -few- users, but to the fact that it has been a long time since there was an X camera seen on a shop shelf New or used. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I was not referring to the quality of the cameras nor the enthusiasm of the actual -few- users, but to the fact that it has been a long time since there was an X camera seen on a shop shelf New or used. 

X series are regularly listed secondhand by e.g. Ffordes and MPB ... I check their s/h listings regularly ... X series also listed at 'too high' prices on eBay ... lots of X1s eBay listed 2 days ago.  Ffordes also list s/h Digilux 1, Digilux 2 and Digilux 3 ... and they sell ... currently listing several ... and Ffordes recently sold an X1 ... which says much for Leica digital compact cameras' longevities. MPB currently list an XU ... only 1 in stock but recently listed 2.  Thirteen XV's sold by MPB in recent months https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Leica/Leica-Compact-Cameras/Leica-X-Vario ... and links to other X series sold by other dealers eg Park Cameras 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2022 at 10:08 AM, jaapv said:

It is also quite unclear why Leica should make this specific offer. The X market has been dead for many years. Should they want to discount the CL they could just as well do so without taking X cameras out of circulation.

Today I received the official 45% discount CL/TL 18mm upgrade offer which is documented as a 'repair' ... the X1 not being capable of repair. 

I have agreed to same which is based on Leica Mayfair list prices less 45% and look forward to receiving the CL/TL18mm combo in due course. 

BW,  dunk 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2022 at 6:17 AM, dkCambridgeshire said:

Today I received the official 45% discount CL/TL 18mm upgrade offer which is documented as a 'repair' ... the X1 not being capable of repair. 

I have agreed to same which is based on Leica Mayfair list prices less 45% and look forward to receiving the CL/TL18mm combo in due course. 

BW,  dunk 

Fantastic! I appreciate this thread and your follow-up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, elambo said:

Fantastic! I appreciate this thread and your follow-up.

... and yesterday received the third party 39mm thread wide angle hood in readiness for initial use of the CL / TL18mm ... the pocketable APS-C 28mm (ish) FF equivalent, walkabout combo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...