Next Reissue lens, which do you want?

overexposed

On 6/26/2022 at 9:49 AM, jdlaing said:

What do you think needs updating?

I purchased one, but returned it as it's not sharp. I even had Leica service check out the lens and it was found to be "within spec", so I returned it. 

I love the idea of this lens and the shooting experience on my M body. Unfortunately, the image quality was not up to my experience with my other Leica M lenses.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.

I'd really like an M-mount collapsible Summicron with glass that doesn't scratch so easily....oh, and no infinity lock! 

...and since I'd like to actually use it to make photos, it would only make sense if they produced it in sufficient quantity that the retail price was within realistic reach of users...perhaps priced similarly to the current Summicron? Please?

Edited by BradS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crem said:

What would be a good 50mm reissue that would pair well with the 28 Summaron? Something small and lightweight. Ideally with a rendering that looks similar to it.

Seems as though the 50mm Elmar f/3.5 would be the closest match. Per Erwin Puts, not quite as good wide-open as the Summaron - but at f/5.6 and below it improves a lot and would appear to match the 28 Summaron at f/5.6 and below.

Then it becomes a question of which external "cosmetic" version. The early copies 1930s-1950s with a flat baseplate match the Summaron, but have a fiddly little aperture tab on the front. The last version has an aperture ring more like the Summaron's, but not the same "squared-off" look and feel to the baseplate.

Maybe a "Frankenstein" version combining the older baseplate and newer aperture ring might serve, for cosmetics and convenience.

Early (LTM)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Later

Leitz/Leica did, of course, also make an f/2.8 50mm Elmar (and already reissued that for about 10 years 1996-2006). But even the first version from 1957 was already more "modern" in rendering (using glass types developed for the Summicrons), and even more so in the re-issue.

There is also the little problem that there are (again, per Puts' estimate) maybe 500000 50mm f/3.5 Elmars already in existence, as opposed to 9000 original 28 Summarons. Fairly easy to find the "real deal" for $300-400 (and maybe less).

Edited by adan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, BradS said:

I'd really like an M-mount collapsible Summicron with glass that doesn't scratch so easily....oh, and no infinity lock! [...]

+1. I would buy a "Cartier-Bresson" collapsible version with less flare and focus shift than 50/2 v5 and more forgiveness for portraits than 50/2 apo. Could prepare the launch of a rigid v6 possibly.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, adan said:

Seems as though the 50mm Elmar f/3.5 would be the closest match. Per Erwin Puts, not quite as good wide-open as the Summaron - but at f/5.6 and below it improves a lot and would appear to match the 28 Summaron at f/5.6 and below.

Then it becomes a question of which external "cosmetic" version. The early copies 1930s-1950s with a flat baseplate match the Summaron, but have a fiddly little aperture tab on the front. The last version has an aperture ring more like the Summaron's, but not the same "squared-off" look and feel to the baseplate.

Maybe a "Frankenstein" version combining the older baseplate and newer aperture ring might serve, for cosmetics and convenience.

Early (LTM)

Later

Leitz/Leica did, of course, also make an f/2.8 50mm Elmar (and already reissued that for about 10 years 1996-2006). But even the first version from 1957 was already more "modern" in rendering (using glass types developed for the Summicrons), and even more so in the re-issue.

There is also the little problem that there are (again, per Puts' estimate) maybe 500000 50mm f/3.5 Elmars already in existence, as opposed to 9000 original 28 Summarons. Fairly easy to find the "real deal" for $300-400 (and maybe less).

@adan what an amazing amount of information. I seem to learn something new every time I visit this forum. thank you!

Leica lenses will never be cheaper than $1,500-2,500. At prices below this there are many good lenses from the likes of Zeiss, Voigtlander and China made lenses.

As such, Leica will need to introduce to market a significantly higher quality performing lens. An older design, superior optics, possible using rare glass and current coatings.

They will need to pick a lens model that was produced in relatively small volumes in the past, with character and desirability, to justify the current high cost of a remake.

Nostalgia alone will not cut it as collectors will still desire the original.

Edited by rramesh

19 hours ago, adan said:

Early (LTM)

No, I still use the red scale version.  But I have the set in for the hood.

A regular visitor in our garden looking for bird food.

Sigma fp with Elmar 50mm f/3.5 rs, @f/5.6

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rramesh said:

Nostalgia alone will not cut it as collectors will still desire the original.

Used to be that way in the car collecting world; now some (younger) collectors will pay more at auction for a modern retro-mod version, with high powered engine and modified body/electronics, than for an original at the same auction.  Started happening at Barrett-Jackson auctions within the past 10-15 years.  I was stunned when this occurred with two 1930’s Cords; the custom car achieved a significantly higher price even though both were in pristine condition.

Jeff

• Like 1

Would this come with HCB engraving ?

here seen upside down
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The re-issued lenses that caught my attention, the Thambar-M and the Summaron-M, resulted in my acquiring a pre-owned Thambar-M, and an original, threaded-mount Summaron 28mm. When the Noctilux 50mm f/1.2 was announced, and then images started posting, well, the images seemed less interesting than Summilux-M 50mm ASPH images. With f/1.2 and f/1.4 being so close, in light-gathering ability, I lost interest in the f/1.2 Noctilux. I had the money, to buy one, but, other things seemed more important, and I turned my attention to acquiring a pristine, pre-owned Summicron-M 75mm ASPH, for about half the price of a new/reissue f/1.2 Noctilux.

Some of the classic compact Leitz lenses are visually appealing, to me, but, my Leitz Summaron-M 3.5cm f/3.5, and original Leitz Summaron 28mm, have taught me that I prefer a lens with some amount of size and heft. I also seem to be shifting interest away from wide-angle lenses. So, the reissue, that I would like to see, would be the Summilux-M 75mm, with whatever APO and ASPH qualities that Leica marketing folks think will sell well, in today’s market.

Edited by RexGig0