leica sighting in new movie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

'love and gelato' on netflix. stupid but cute and i really liked it because i spent a year in italy and i could try to follow along with the italian dialogue.

i'm not a collector or a historian, but i'm guessing something around an m4 era and a 50/2 lens. could be an m3 but somehow it looks more modern. 

/guy

Edited by gteague

crap! totally forgot to post the screenshot.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, pippy said:

She's holding it 'properly' which is nice to see!

Philip.

except for the case tab obscuring some of the finder...........

13 minutes ago, petermullett said:

except for the case tab obscuring some of the finder...........

Ah; but I don't blame her for the failure of the Props Dept, Peter!

I did wonder why they used a modern case when M3 cases are so plentiful. Perhaps the older cases were not deemed to be Sexy enough? The one selected is such an obviously poor choice in many regards...

Philip.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pippy said:

Ah; but I don't blame her for the failure of the Props Dept, Peter!

I did wonder why they used a modern case when M3 cases are so plentiful. Perhaps the older cases were not deemed to be Sexy enough? The one selected is such an obviously poor choice in many regards...

Philip.

It wouldn't be the first time I've blamed the prop's dept!

i have too many fans blowing (over 100º for over 21 days now) to get subtle sounds, but i didn't hear a shutter sound which might be the most authentic of all as most of the time the shots were taken on a busy italian street. but the show had a photographic theme of a sort. her mother lived in italy about 30 years ago and 'hung out' with a professional photographer there who gave her the leica.

when the daughter goes to italy at her dying mother's request, her mother's friends give her this camera and by the end of the show she is out on the streets with 3 cameras slung around her neck. so i'm sure that showing familiarity with cameras was part of the learning process to do the acting. 

sorry for the (quite mild) spoilers, but the show is worth watching if you like romances or romcoms or italian ambiance. 

Edited by gteague
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Anbaric said:

Could be worse:...

[scared][scared][scared]

Either someone in the production team was having a bit of a giggle to see if anyone noticed or else they deserve a smart rap over the knuckles with a ruler!

Philip.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, pippy said:

[scared][scared][scared]

Either someone in the production team was having a bit of a giggle to see if anyone noticed or else they deserve a smart rap over the knuckles with a ruler!

Philip.

Or some Bright Young Creative who divides cameras into (a) the iPhone and (b) everything before that. The other cameras are decades adrift too, cheap and cheerful consumer models that are nothing like those press photographers would use in any year.

http://www.artdecocameras.com/cameras/standard/conway-super-flash/

https://www.browniecam.com/portfolio-items/303-brownie-twin-20/

Maybe they just went to Oxfam and bought a job lot...

The exhibition they were promoting was excellent, though.

• Thanks 1

the only time i saw the slr was when she had an upper strap (leica), lower strap (some sorta-polaroid looking ?folding? camera and a strap around the back with an slr and i only got a glimpse of it when she fell over backwards. if i had loaned that leica to the production i would have insisted a stunt plastic one for that! :)

/guy

If I watch a movie and the actor doesn't hold/use a camera correctly or even close to correctly, I stop the movie.  When it's in a cinema house, I still stop watching and read Leica Forum or something like that.  Ask my wife, this is a true thing. I'm even less forgiving when the camera is a Leica.

Seems movies with Jason Momoa in them always have a Leica being used properly.....he even tried to use it during game of the thrones.  Hmmm, like Yule Brenner?  That's a nice connection if it exists...

BTW,. Momoa is a verified Leica Nut.  🙂

1 hour ago, rfaspen said:

If I watch a movie and the actor doesn't hold/use a camera correctly or even close to correctly, I stop the movie.  When it's in a cinema house, I still stop watching and read Leica Forum or something like that.  Ask my wife, this is a true thing. I'm even less forgiving when the camera is a Leica.

Seems movies with Jason Momoa in them always have a Leica being used properly.....he even tried to use it during game of the thrones.  Hmmm, like Yule Brenner?  That's a nice connection if it exists...

BTW,. Momoa is a verified Leica Nut.  🙂

I met Jason at the recent Leitz auction and I can confirm that. I have to admit I had never heard of him before. We were introduced to each other as being both interested in 19th Century brass lenses. He was impressed with the pictures I showed him of my collection of Irish made brass lenses. He told me that he was interested in using British made Ross and Dallmeyer lenses on his Leicas, although he missed the Leica with a Ross lens which I picked up at the auction. He bought a lot of other stuff, though.

William

• Like 3