Leicaflex SL problem

thedreamscene

Advertisement (gone after registration)

this is probably hard to diagnose but I recently got a Leicaflex SL. Mainly bought it for the 50mm Summicron to adapt to a dslr but was also interested in shooting with it. Was testing the shutter speeds and winder action. Noticed the speed dial was a little hard to turn to certain speeds but it loosened up after a bit. But at some point the mirror locked up and the winder would no longer crank. I can pull the mirror down with the dof lever in the mirror box but if i press the shutter button it pops back into the up position. But also I can see in the viewfinder theres a screw thats stuck (it doesnt move around). Haven't had the nerve or time yet to try and disassemble the top section of the camera (also wouldn't really know what to do when I did). Wondering if its worthgiving it a shot or if I should just sell it somewhere "as is/for parts".  Its a shame because otherwise the camera is immaculate. 

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be based on this info? Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It cannot be very expensive for somebody like Don Goldberg ( DAG) to fish out the screw and replace it properly In the course of a CLA which it clearly needs. The camera is certainly worth it. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I recently sent DAG a former US Navy SL2 body I bought with a jammed shutter, and a little evidence of corrosion on the bottom plate.   Don just finished the overhaul and said the jam was due to water damage.  According to the RFI sticker, it was last serviced in 1989, thirty-three years ago, and had it not gotten moisture inside, would probably still have worked just fine.   He overhauled the camera completely and adjusted it to spec and, adjusted the meter to accept current silver-cell batteries and the bill was $360.  I think that's pretty reasonable for restoring a camera that has already lasted one lifetime, and will now likely work without issue for a second lifetime.  I have a Leicaflex Standard and an SL that have never been opened up and are still functioning flawlessly.   I also have an R5 and an R6.2 and I'm pretty sure that the Leicaflexes will all be taking photos long after the R series bodies have become paperweights.

Send it in and get it serviced properly. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hepcat
  • Like 1