Problems with KiwiBird USB-C SD card reader overheating on M10-R DNG image download (230 images)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For the second time I have had problems with my previously reliable KiwiBird USB-C SD card reader, when downloading large volumes of M10-R DNG files to Capture One. Same issue each time, the card reader becomes quite hot to the touch and eventually shuts itself down, not ejecting properly, luckily just after all the downloads to Capture One had completed this time. I was downloading around 230 DNG images taken with my M10-R of around 43 to 45MB each file. It would seem this may be too much for the reader's quite basic circuitry. Has anyone else experienced issues with card readers on large numbers of big files from say an M10-R or M11. If you have been doing this with no problems, may I ask which USB-C SD card reader you are using. The KiwiBird recovers once it has cooled down. 

Wilson

The problem is to know which ones are fast and reliable and which ones are cobbled together from dubious parts, in some backstreet Guangzhou bucket shop. The only reader which does not seem to have a single negative report is the Prograde SD UHS-II but they don't advise what output cable (if any) this has and USB-A-3 is no use to me. It is also quite expensive at €87.00 but I suppose the old adage: "Buy cheap: Buy twice" applies. 

Wilson

5 minutes ago, wda said:

I have a Lexar model for around ten years and it works faultlessly with up to 24 mp  files.

The Kiwibird works fine with my M240, CL and SL files. It is the M10-R 41MP files that have shown up its weakness. 

Wilson

• Like 1