MTF charts for Leica 19mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R?

steve.chang

1 hour ago, frame-it said:

Thank you. The PDF above is the V2.

A very nice gentleman has shown me the charts with descriptions. Just in case those are still copyrighted material, I apologize not be able to show those in the public. But based on the charts, I am quite impressed by the V1 performance at f/5.6. V2 is still sharper, but V1 is not bad at all before going to the edge of the frame. No wonder a lot of cinematographers love the rendering from V1.

Best,

Steve 

Edited by steve.chang

I learn to not become a collector or not to have serious GAS. Thanks to the same very nice gentleman again to remind me not to take the MTF too seriously.  Also told me to watch the vignette from V1. Thank you, @jankap.

The video link above is very interesting and informative. Thanks @lct

I shot many of M/R lenses, but never the R19. My intent was trying to "learn" to gauge the resolution, contrast from the MTF at f/2.8, for building my small set for videos. I also read some article regarding field curvature by Roger Cicala and others, and wonder that does the filed curvature contribute to part of the (organic😅) look? Is the 2D MTF graphic corresponding to the actual filed curvature at the given F stop?

Best,

Steve 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 2:15 PM, steve.chang said:

I also read some article regarding field curvature by Roger Cicala and others, and wonder that does the filed curvature contribute to part of the (organic😅) look? Is the 2D MTF graphic corresponding to the actual filed curvature at the given F stop?

The MTF graph shows aberrations that are the results of field curvature.  Older M lenses MTF graphs typically have very large contrast fall off at the extreme edges (read corners of the frame), and it gives you the rounded look in wide open images, you can also see the curve sometimes at the end which shows an out of focus edge that goes back into focus wide open.  The R19 v2 is a stellar lens (also shown by the price).  You can’t go wrong.

• Thanks 1