M11 Vignette ?

Krisch64

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Jokes on me, lol. I never noticed I could click on the word "Manual" – it looked like "Profile Manual" to me, like it was just telling me the name of the panel I was already using. Was "Manual" grayed out before the most recent update for M lenses?

Grayed since the beginning (M8) 🙂

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, pascallienard said:

M11 as a little less vignette than M10

Not sure to follow the discussion here. If the M11 had less vignette it would apply more vignetting correction than the M10 or whatever camera. My feeling, but i may be totally wrong, is that Leica does not apply any vignette correction, letting LR and other raw converters doing the job if they intend it to. Again i may be wrong as i don't use LR but Iridient Developper applies an optional vignette correction that is very discrete for instance. Totally useless for raw users IMHO so i wonder why it is so important to know what Adobe or others can do. Would this be important for jpeg users for instance? Just curious.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

The vignetting slider in the Effects panel only adds vignette – it darkens the edges or in the reverse direction, it makes them white. It does not remove vignette.

Yes. Have you tried using the Vignetting slider in the Manual sub-panel of Lens Correction?

34 minutes ago, pascallienard said:

I think LR can't apply de-vignetting simply because the aperture is unknown, only a guess.
I can access this slider with another camera body and the LR de-vignetting is applied automatically in regard of the aperture with distortion and chromatic ab.

I remember some people talking about more vignette on the M10. Maybe the in-body correction was dimmed at that time. 
I read on the Jonathan Slack review that M11 as a little less vignette than M10. 

It's not a big deal, if all the M11 are acting the same.

(You can access a manual de-vignetting on LR on the lens corrections panel, manual tab, put some positive value and it will add exposure.)

Leica M cameras also do not know the aperture.

7 minutes ago, lct said:

Not sure to follow the discussion here. If the M11 had less vignette it would apply more vignetting correction than the M10 or whatever camera. My feeling, but i may be totally wrong, is that Leica does not apply any vignette correction, letting LR and other raw converters doing the job if they intend it to. Again i may be wrong as i don't use LR but Iridient Developper applies an optional vignette correction that is very discrete for instance. Totally useless for raw users IMHO so i wonder why it is so important to know what Adobe or others can do. Would this be important for jpeg users for instance? Just curious.

Just a quick recap, because, as you said, discussion is becoming more extensive 🙂

- M9 have what seems like an in body de-vignetting when lens detection is set to auto in camera settings
- M11 : Off or Auto would make very little difference in regard of the vignette. The vignette is still quite strong, at least on my M11, and with a 35 lux and 50 lux.
- M9 seems a bit over corrected.
- All of this happens prior to any PP / software correction

My question is: are all M11 acting the same (strong vignette that we would have to correct in post - or leave it as it - personal taste) or just mine.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, pascallienard said:

Correct - and maybe it's why M9 seems overcorrected at some aperture. And maybe Leica moved to let us do it in post since the M10 (or prior) ?
(At least if every camera acts the same)

I assume that all the cameras act the same. 

2 hours ago, pascallienard said:

Just a quick recap, because, as you said, discussion is becoming more extensive 🙂

- M9 have what seems like an in body de-vignetting when lens detection is set to auto in camera settings
- M11 : Off or Auto would make very little difference in regard of the vignette. The vignette is still quite strong, at least on my M11, and with a 35 lux and 50 lux.
- M9 seems a bit over corrected.
- All of this happens prior to any PP / software correction

My question is: are all M11 acting the same (strong vignette that we would have to correct in post - or leave it as it - personal taste) or just mine.

You're just seeing the true vignette character of the 28 Lux at f/1.4, which IMO is beautiful and not to be corrected :) I'm just used to it because I also would shoot it on non-Leica cameras without correction. But if you really want to see it make strong vignetting, use it on the M10M.