11-23 Condensation Question

I've never seen it, but the lens is not weatherproof, so it is always a risk with temperature changes.
You might want to save the trouble and cost of sending it back by drying it out yourself, either in a humidity controlled cabinet or in a sealed case with silica gel, renewed until the condensation goes. Unless, of course, it is not working properly. 

I'm not sure whether you have to send it in when it is working well. I had the same issue with my 18-56 to the point that it was so fogged up that it could not be used, but to my surprise it was just fine after it dried out and is still working perfectly, more than a year later. 

Going from AC to humid air back to AC can cause condensation. I have had some going from cold northern US weather below -10 C into the warm house, but it was fast dicipating surface condensation, have had this with my M cameras too. I haven ever had a situation where the lens was rendered unusable.    

Get 2-3 silica dryer packs (below), put the lens in a gallon size ziploc freezer bag with the silica packs and leave it in there for 2-3 days.  I would be surprised if the condensation does not disappear.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1022198-REG/ruggard_sg_dc1_reusable_silica_gel_desiccant.html

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I lived in Florida I had condensation on my lenses virtually every time I went outside from my condo.  These were Nikon auto focus, Leica M and Hasselblad lenses; there was never any damage to any of the lenses from condensation on the external surfaces.

When my family lived in West Africa my father would take out his camera on trek and would get moisture in (emphasis on "in") the lens. When he got home he would immediately put the lens into a tin with a lid that contained drying crystals and leave it there until the condensation had gone. Simple process thankfully that doesn't involve sending the lens back to Leica, and these days is even easier with ziplock bags.

Edited by Le Chef
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

Yes, but M lenses have no electronics that can corrode and short out. 

Yes, just illustrating it happens with other lenses, also had it with Nikon. Another way of dealing with condensation is have a box witha 60 watt incandescent bulb in it, heats up the box just enough to dry out the lens. A Leica repair guy in the 1970s gave me this one when I was developing a nerve to take my Leicas kayaking with me, not fast water.