Dropped Leica mr-4

zuzu85

2 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello zuzu85,

Sorry to read about this.

Is the outside dented from the fall? What type of surface did it land on & from how hi?

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

no dent at all. It fell from 1.8 meters on a wooden floor. So it’s just the needle release button doesn’t spring back after pressing it.

on MR and MR-4 both Test and Measure buttons do release the needle. Does either one do it on your broken MR? I understand that the needle is now deflected and locked. Remove battery and try either button to get needle back to zero position. If it does not that there is indeed something broken inside.

50 minutes ago, jerzy said:

on MR and MR-4 both Test and Measure buttons do release the needle. Does either one do it on your broken MR? I understand that the needle is now deflected and locked. Remove battery and try either button to get needle back to zero position. If it does not that there is indeed something broken inside.

Hi Jerzy,

I think I haven’t made myself clear. It’s not the white needle that is stuck. It’s the needle release button ( the button that you push to meter the light).  When you normally press that button to meter the light, it jumps back to its position after you remove your finger from the button. Now it doesn’t do that anymore, it just stays stuck  and I have to push it manually back to its starting position.

cheers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, yes, I wrongly understood... Well, you will need to take off the cover to see what happened. There were instructions in Forum here how to do it, but shortly: 1- remove the screw holding discs (screw with 2 holes), remove the discs;  2- remove 2 screws beneath; 3- remove 2 screws on the short side of cover, below the measure button; 4- move Test button into test position and lift off the cover.  Measure lever on the cover does not have any spring, it is pushed back by the black slider. If the cover is bent the spring in slider is to weak to push back the lever

3 hours ago, jerzy said:

Hi, yes, I wrongly understood... Well, you will need to take off the cover to see what happened. There were instructions in Forum here how to do it, but shortly: 1- remove the screw holding discs (screw with 2 holes), remove the discs;  2- remove 2 screws beneath; 3- remove 2 screws on the short side of cover, below the measure button; 4- move Test button into test position and lift off the cover.  Measure lever on the cover does not have any spring, it is pushed back by the black slider. If the cover is bent the spring in slider is to weak to push back the lever

Thanks! I tried to open the top disk with the two holes with a plier but that doesn’t. What kind of 2-point spanner is recommended to use?

Following Jerzy's lead, I made myself a simple tool for opening the top 2-hole screw. I used a relatively thick-strong staple, bent its ends to the correct spacing to fit the holes, filed the tips down so they are flat (to dig into the screw holes), and held that 2-pronged staple with pliers. It unscrewed the top screw easily.

Note when you re-assemble the meter, do not tighten the top screw too much - it is meant to be a friction fit, not a tight mechanical fit.

Correction - I used a small paper clip to make the 2-tipped tool, as in the pictures below. The paperclip metal is stiff enough to apply adequate torque, when the pliers are held close to the tips. Simple but effective.