New Godox trigger for Leica

Pelu2010

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

I cannot think of a reason why HSS did not work for you on SL2 as AD300Pro is relatively new from Godox.

i was testing the trigger on the m246. i know it's not supported, but hence the testing. i know with the godox X2T trigger, the HSS function needs to be manually enabled (in the same way as the ad300pro. i didnt see anything in the godox instructions re enabling HSS manually. I assume the trigger just does it automatically, but i just wanted to check with other users on the SL2 before reporting back my findings to the m240/242/246 shooters

On 2/23/2023 at 5:17 AM, sometimesmaybe said:

i was testing the trigger on the m246. i know it's not supported, but hence the testing. i know with the godox X2T trigger, the HSS function needs to be manually enabled (in the same way as the ad300pro. i didnt see anything in the godox instructions re enabling HSS manually. I assume the trigger just does it automatically, but i just wanted to check with other users on the SL2 before reporting back my findings to the m240/242/246 shooters

There is no need to set for HSS on the XProIi trigger when mounted onto the SL2. The HSS symbol appears on strob/flash once the shutter speed set on camera goes beyond 1/250.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, onigunn said:

Just to be sure, does work the trigger with the SL2-S too?

Why not? The SL2 and SL2s are the same camera, only differance is the sensor. 

Godox does not test every camera.

Godox has not gotten it to test with M11.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

@Photoworks as you see the answer above you says the complete opposite :) The comments below the announcement also states that it doesn't work with the SL2-S - just browsing through some amazon reviews the same picture emerges: does not seem to work on the sl2-s. Thats why I've asked maybe someone already tried the combo.

Edited by onigunn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, onigunn said:

@Photoworks as you see the answer above you says the complete opposite :) The comments below the announcement also states that it doesn't work with the SL2-S - just browsing through some amazon reviews the same picture emerges: does not seem to work on the sl2-s. Thats why I've asked maybe someone already tried the combo.

godox support told me that they only test one camera of each line. and if you have problem to end in video and they try to fix it.

10 hours ago, lannyls said:

Also, if Godox trigger does not work for TTL/HSS, can the SL2-S at least fire the flashes from it in regular manual flash? Trying to work out whether to get a few Ad200 strobes. Thanks. 

I haven't tried TTL/HSS because I don't use them for my work, but it definitely works with the SL2-S in manual mode. I use it all the time. And I use it with a couple AD200s as well as other Godox flashes  However, when it's on, it prevents the manual exposure preview from working which is not cool for me as I'm trying to set ambient and use the flash for fill.  So I would have to quickly turn it off to preview the ambient light via exposure preview and then turn it back on to test the fill flash.  However, it also has an optional center pin mode that they refer to as "legacy hot shoe" mode, and that's what I leave it on. . . so, the way I use it, it's no different than using the cheap Flashpoint / Godox R2 SP Single Pin Transceivers but you get the better screen, what seems like a longer range, and tilted top.   When using in center pin mode, it doesn't affect manual exposure preview mode.  I use it on both the SL2-S and a M10 Monochrom . . .works fine.  In their "legacy hotshoe mode" you can actually use it with anything that has a traditional hotshoe. . . like the MP or I use it with my Fujifilm X-E4 for manual exposure.  I will turn it off center pin only and try it with TTL in the near future.  One word though. . . it does NOT work with the flashes until you update the firmware on the flashes. . . and that's tricky as hell in my opinion.  . . especially for someone with a Mac computer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That’s great. Most reassuring. Moving away from trying SF60 and 2 MG10s which had its issues too. I mostly use manual anyway, but did like that on the move TTL was an option, and potential for HSS for shallower depth of field. But their lower power meant tricky to use that way anyway.

So I will go for the Godox system and just hope they update it one day, but clearly it’s going to get the job done fine at its basic level. Thanks for your help. 

9 hours ago, lannyls said:

That’s great. Most reassuring. Moving away from trying SF60 and 2 MG10s which had its issues too. I mostly use manual anyway, but did like that on the move TTL was an option, and potential for HSS for shallower depth of field. But their lower power meant tricky to use that way anyway.

So I will go for the Godox system and just hope they update it one day, but clearly it’s going to get the job done fine at its basic level. Thanks for your help. 

Hey @lannyls, I grabbed my SL2-S today and used a Godox AD200.  I set it to TTL and turned off the legacy hot shoe.  For me, TTL and HSS worked great!  So I'm not sure why people are saying it's not supported unless maybe their firmware isn't up to date on both the camera and the flash.  So, I shoot manual exposure anyway, so the only thing that's adjusting was the flash.  As I mentioned before, having the remote connected (and not in legacy mode) means it won't show exposure preview (because it knows you're using a flash  . . .so the viewfinder shows the room properly exposed even if I have the exposure dialed down to underexpose).  For me, I just flick off the remote, dial in the ambient lighting, and then flip the switch back on the trigger.  As soon as I do that, it kicks off exposure preview. . .didn't cause the camera to get confused or anything.  I took a shot of a backlit balloon so the balloon should have been underexposed and did the AD200 as a bounce fill flash.  Worked perfect.  Was able to dial up and dial down the TTL fill exposure too to adjust the exposure of the balloon up and down.   Went through a range of ISO while not adjusting anything else and you could see the balloon was properly exposed and the ambient light went up and down with ISO as expected.  Did the same experiment holding ISO constant and adjusting shutter speed, and, the same deal.  Worked fine.  As I crept past 1/250th of a second it automatically shifted to high speed sync on the trigger and kept working fine.  Some comments I have are the flash is going to fire, even if you don't need it. So if you're really high on ISO and it can't get low enough on the flash, you'll overexpose.  Same way with other end of spectrum.  But I'd expect that. But that might make some people think it's not working properly.  Other thing is it seems to switch the flash over to TTL as long as you do it on the remote but it acted a little weird when I first tried it. . . might be user error.  The biggest thing is updating that firmware on the flashes was super confusing, but it will not work at all unless the AD200 firmware has been updated.  Good luck!

• Like 3

Wow - that is amazing. Thank you so much for doing that testing! Brilliant to hear. 

Seeing as you are running Godox, some more advice…
Right now, I have the dilemma of choosing complete lights from scratch. Seeking a travel-friendly / home studio budget portrait set (2-3 lights). I’ve been deliberating over whether it should be all AD200 pro or potentially a couple of AD300 instead with a single AD200 or V1 as the third light. 
I know if need higher power I  can combine 2 x AD200 using their B2 adaptor (making 400Ws) which is useful, but 2 AD300 recycles faster - takes up more space in bag though. Any experience of this kind of thing? Also, I hear mixing the different lights the AD300 has a marginally cooler temperature which might bug me. 

cheers!

2 hours ago, lannyls said:

Wow - that is amazing. Thank you so much for doing that testing! Brilliant to hear. 

Right now, I have the dilemma of choosing complete lights from scratch. Seeking a travel-friendly / home studio budget portrait set (2-3 lights). I’ve been deliberating over whether it should be all AD200 pro or potentially a couple of AD300 instead with a single AD200 or V1 as the third light. 
I know if need higher power I  can combine 2 x AD200 using their B2 adaptor (making 400Ws) which is useful, but 2 AD300 recycles faster - takes up more space in bag though. Any experience of this kind of thing? Also, I hear mixing the different lights the AD300 has a marginally cooler temperature which might bug me. 

cheers!

Make sure you get the Ad200Pro, the older AD200 has some banding issues and it is not that great.

I mostly use the AD400Pro's and they are very reliable. I ordered an AD300 at B&H but got stolen in transport, so never got another for now.

2 hours ago, lannyls said:

cheers!

Yeah, like @Photoworks said, get the AD200Pro. . . get two of them.  Buy the B2 adapter.  I leave the bare bulbs in the adapter and then just plug one or two bodies into it based on what I need.   I actually have all the flashes you mention.  I've been using the AD200Pro (2 of them) for years for my real estate work.  My wife bought me the AD300Pro as a gift and I was so excited but I honestly feel like the output isn't noticeable (honestly it feels like less) than a single AD200Pro. It's a lot less useful but the modeling light is pretty good. I leave it in my home studio so I have a light set up there but I pull out the AD200Pros more because you can use them with a Softlighter with just their base mounts.  Then you can jump on the B2 adapter when you want to use a Bowens mount or get more power.  They're honestly so powerful, I rarely need 2 for my main light inside.  If you want quick recycle times, run two into the B2 and then your using each at lower power to get the same result and get faster recycle times.  The V1 isn't great because they don't make a Leica version so you have to be careful so you pick on that won't have problems with the contacts.  I have the Fuji one because I had a x100v as a carry around camera and figured I could use it in manual for the Leica's and then TTL or whatever for the X100V. However, it's sort of big and heavy.  Good if you are maybe a wedding photographer or something but I just never use it.  SO, if I was starting from scratch, I'd get the Godox XPro II TTL Wireless Flash Trigger, 2x AD200Pros, the B2 Adapter and call it a day.  For a light walk around kit, I have the LightPix Labs FlashQ Q20II. . . those things are brilliant.  Super powerful for the size, use as off camera flash easily, they have a miniature transmitter built in that you just pop off.. . very cool. For my real estate work, I don't need smart triggers so I also use Flashpoint R2 Single Pin Transceiver from Adorama.   They work with pretty much anything except Sony I think.  Small, don't get caught on stuff, quickly can change settings. . . etc.  

33 minutes ago, PTRA said:

Hi, does anyone know if the godox transmitter can connect my Leica Q2 with a Canon Speedlite in manual mode?

it would be a simple trigger only, like poketwizard plus. no changing of setting.

Maybe cactus is better for you as it is independent from camera

On 3/22/2023 at 9:53 PM, Mikko Kankainen said:

I just got Sl2-S to try it out and I confirm that it works 100% with this camera. I have AD300 Pro. Leica M11 is without support as I mentioned.

I can confirm this too, I use mainly the AD400Pro and the trigger is working well with my SL2, SL2-S, M11, M10 and the M240's (mono and colour). I haven't used it with my M9 yet.

• Like 1