New Godox trigger for Leica

Pelu2010

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Almizilero said:

Only now thought to try things with the Q. No problems there at the max shutter speed of 1/2000 with flash. So the problem seems to be the camera - flash - trigger combination.

The Q has leaf shutter in the lens, so it should always work. I think the shutter specks say up to 1/500 but I have found 1/2000 was no problem. you don't even need HSS with the Q2

1 hour ago, Almizilero said:

Only now thought to try things with the Q.

The Q camera can sync at all the shutter speeds with all flashes. It has a Central Leaf shutter in the lens. 

I have updated my ad100 pro and it works with my M10-r well. 

Edited by ynp

I bought two of the new triggers but I needed to update the firmware on my AD200pro and AD200s. With my Mac the Flashguns would not update so I brought them back to the dealer. The dealer managed to brick three AD200 Pros and he did follow the instructions to the letter. When I say instructions, there are none, he looked up YouTube to check how to do it. The battery was out of the flashgun and the flash was discharged before the update, plus it was the correct Firmware. There was no "A Version" sticker on the flashgun so he used the firmware as indicated.

I would suggest the Firmware for the AD200 Pro has a bug in it so hold off for the moment or the other option is that a batch of "Version A" flashguns were released without the sticker been attached. So now the Flashguns are on the way to Godox, Holland to be repaired and I have a loaned flashgun from the dealer.

On another note, the AD600M plus the Ving 860 version ii and the Ving 850 will not be getting a firmware update. So check your flashguns to see if they are receiving and update.

9 hours ago, jto555 said:

I bought two of the new triggers but I needed to update the firmware on my AD200pro and AD200s. With my Mac the Flashguns would not update so I brought them back to the dealer. The dealer managed to brick three AD200 Pros and he did follow the instructions to the letter. When I say instructions, there are none, he looked up YouTube to check how to do it. The battery was out of the flashgun and the flash was discharged before the update, plus it was the correct Firmware. There was no "A Version" sticker on the flashgun so he used the firmware as indicated.

I would suggest the Firmware for the AD200 Pro has a bug in it so hold off for the moment or the other option is that a batch of "Version A" flashguns were released without the sticker been attached. So now the Flashguns are on the way to Godox, Holland to be repaired and I have a loaned flashgun from the dealer.

On another note, the AD600M plus the Ving 860 version ii and the Ving 850 will not be getting a firmware update. So check your flashguns to see if they are receiving and update.

I am not sure what went wrong on your side.

I just updated 2x AD200 pro version A recently and then they worked perfectly fine with the Leica trigger and SL2. The version A shows clearly on the label at the back of the AD units. The firmware comes with a PDF file on how to update which I found was clear enough.

I had previously updated 2x AD200, 2x AD600 and 2x AD1200 without any problem.

Note that on Mac, only the G3 software works, so you cannot update the AD200 and AD600 via Mac. Godox's only Mac compatible G3 software works for AD100, AD200 Pro and AD200 Pro A, AD1200, AD2400 etc.

I also need to use a USB-A to USB-C cable so that the G3 software on the Mac would recognise the AD 200 Pro or AD1200. USB-C to USB-C cable would not work. The Mac would recognise the flash unit being connected to its USB-C port but the G3 software would not. I believe this has already being commented in the forum.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hanno said:

I just updated 2x AD200 pro version A recently and then they worked perfectly fine with the Leica trigger and SL2. The version A shows clearly on the label at the back of the AD units. The firmware comes with a PDF file on how to update which I found was clear enough.

Note that on Mac, only the G3 software works, so you cannot update the AD200 and AD600 via Mac. Godox's only Mac compatible G3 software works for AD100, AD200 Pro and AD200 Pro A, AD1200, AD2400 etc.

I also need to use a USB-A to USB-C cable so that the G3 software on the Mac would recognise the AD 200 Pro or AD1200. USB-C to USB-C cable would not work. The Mac would recognise the flash unit being connected to its USB-C port but the G3 software would not. I believe this has already being commented in the forum.

I am looking forward to hearing back from Godox as to why the updates bricked the units. It could be something the technician did wrong or it could be an issue with the non A version firmware. I just want it resolved so I can get HSS flash! Using ND filters is a pain. 

Am 20.9.2022 um 22:52 schrieb Hanno:

So you can use the AD200Pro(A) with the Trigger and HSS works even at high sync speeds? I'm beginning to think that I got a bugged trigger. I have one 200Pro and one 200Pro-A, both updated fine, both don't work with high sync speeds even though they indicate they're in HSS mode.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Almizilero said:

So you can use the AD200Pro(A) with the Trigger and HSS works even at high sync speeds? I'm beginning to think that I got a bugged trigger. I have one 200Pro and one 200Pro-A, both updated fine, both don't work with high sync speeds even though they indicate they're in HSS mode.

Just in case, it would be worth double checking that the stable colour mode is switched off. It’s F8 in the menu.

Otherwise, the HSS sign will show but the flash unit will not be triggered. 

Edited by Hanno

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Hanno:

Just in case, it would be worth double checking that the stable colour mode is switched off. It’s F8 in the menu.

Otherwise, the HSS sign will show but the flash unit will not be triggered. 

No, that works. Flashes are triggered with Stable Colour on or off. But I get bright and dark stripes in the image, so HSS isn't working in both cases.

Edited by Almizilero

My XProIIL trigger & AD300Pro arrived. Initial trials to connect trigger/camera + flash worked in TTL/M & HSS worked well.

Looking forward to acquiring additional units of AD100Pro to complete my off camera flash system of Godox to replace my SFC-1, SF60s & MG80 whiched Leica never got Manual flash mode working in HSS till today ....although it served my lighting needs well. Looking forward to a more powerful outdoor flash to make outdoor portraits easier.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

While I succeeded in connecting the XproIIL wirelessly to control my AD300Pro from my SL2, I have my doubts if I have successfully set up my XproIIL on TCM. I found no clear instructions in the manual provided. Other XPros have a TCM button to carryout the TTL to M conversion but not on the Leica variant. I could only watch the Godox demo of XproIIL on Youtube in detail several times as instruction. In the demo video, I saw the TTL Convert to Manual (TCM) settings procedure as following: 1 Select the Gr wanted following with TTL setting with the Mode button; 2 Select Menu followed by TCM selection to select the Godox light; 3 Hit the menu button to return to Function screen with selected Gr on TTL setting; 4 Take the test shot in TTL; 5 Select the Mode button to select M setting. The M setting is suppose to be the equilivant power setting of the data received from previous TTL test shot. However I found the colour and exposure between TTL shot and TCM converted M shot differ slightly. Not sure if I have gotten the TCM procedure correct as described above? How was the experience of other Leica users?

Edited by sillbeers15
modify content

19 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

While I succeeded in connecting the XproIIL wirelessly to control my AD300Pro from my SL2, I have my doubts if I have successfully set up my XproIIL on TCM. I found no clear instructions in the manual provided. Other XPros have a TCM button to carryout the TTL to M conversion but not on the Leica variant. I could only watch the Godox demo of XproIIL on Youtube in detail several times as instruction. In the demo video, I saw the TTL Convert to Manual (TCM) settings procedure as following: 1 Select the Gr wanted following with TTL setting with the Mode button; 2 Select Menu followed by TCM selection to select the Godox light; 3 Hit the menu button to return to Function screen with selected Gr on TTL setting; 4 Take the test shot in TTL; 5 Select the Mode button to select M setting. The M setting is suppose to be the equilivant power setting of the data received from previous TTL test shot. However I found the colour and exposure between TTL shot and TCM converted M shot differ slightly. Not sure if I have gotten the TCM procedure correct as described above? How was the experience of other Leica users?

I have resolved my problem mentioned above after a couple of trials on TCM test shots. No more colour temperature & exposure variations.

I had received the TCM instruction video from Godox after writting to their technical support team. They replied me the following day. Too bad I could not share the video in my post as it exceeded the allowable file size by the forum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sillbeers15 said:

I had received the TCM instruction video from Godox after writting to their technical support team. They replied me the following day. Too bad I could not share the video in my post as it exceeded the allowable file size by the forum.

Ideally Godox should host it on their website / youtube, but maybe you could add it to Dropbox or Google Drive or any other file hosting website

3 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Ideally Godox should host it on their website / youtube, but maybe you could add it to Dropbox or Google Drive or any other file hosting website

I'm uncertain on the interest of TCM to most forum users. PM me with your email and I can sned the TCM instructions video for those who are keen.

• Thanks 1

I just use the godox V1 and the godox Leica trigger for an event.

So F***ing frustrating and disappointed .

I would suggest everyone to wait on better software. Not sure if it was the camera to the trigger, most likely both.

To me the SL2 is not made for a candle light event. Focus is impossible and exposure of the flash is always off but many stops.

Part 1 I was shooting the SL2 with 35mmSL with trigger and Godox V1 next to it. I would set it up and work for a few shots.
few min later the flash would just change shooting mode from M to TTL, the trigger was still in M mode. I had to change trigger to TLL and the M to get back to shooting.

I would been happy to go back to TTL is it would work. the flash was always 3-4 stop overexposed.

in Part 2 I went back to the SF 60. well TTL didn't do well with bounce flash, exposures where under by many stops. I feel the SF 60 works well when shooting facing subject, but that is not I light that I want.
So to finish, I was be able to shoot the rest of the night in M mode, 1/256 power and sometimes 1/64.

It is strange that the SL2 can't do flash well. I think it is a firmware issue, It can't be that you can not use bounce flash. and the real poor AF performance in AFs in low light it make it a deal breaker for this time of shooting.

12 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

I just use the godox V1 and the godox Leica trigger for an event.

So F***ing frustrating and disappointed .

I would suggest everyone to wait on better software. Not sure if it was the camera to the trigger, most likely both.

To me the SL2 is not made for a candle light event. Focus is impossible and exposure of the flash is always off but many stops.

Part 1 I was shooting the SL2 with 35mmSL with trigger and Godox V1 next to it. I would set it up and work for a few shots.
few min later the flash would just change shooting mode from M to TTL, the trigger was still in M mode. I had to change trigger to TLL and the M to get back to shooting.

I would been happy to go back to TTL is it would work. the flash was always 3-4 stop overexposed.

in Part 2 I went back to the SF 60. well TTL didn't do well with bounce flash, exposures where under by many stops. I feel the SF 60 works well when shooting facing subject, but that is not I light that I want.
So to finish, I was be able to shoot the rest of the night in M mode, 1/256 power and sometimes 1/64.

It is strange that the SL2 can't do flash well. I think it is a firmware issue, It can't be that you can not use bounce flash. and the real poor AF performance in AFs in low light it make it a deal breaker for this time of shooting.

There is a focus assist LED light from the Godox XproIIL transmitter which you just need to turn ‘on’ from the menu. My limited user experience was that the focus assist light turn on improved dim light environment focusing.

I did not encounter the tricky issue of Mode change from M to TTL under uncontrollable situation when I used the XproIIL with AD300. It is likely a software problem as you have mentioned. Also in the Godox website it did not show the V1 as a recommended product for the XproIIL to work with. Perhaps Godox already knew the reason?

My experience with the SF60 did not go so well before I started using MG10 as my key light. The SF60 could not handle the load as a key light over sequential shooting. It would overheat and shutdown by itself. MG10 never had that issue. Hence the key light I’ve selected in the Godox pkg is the AD300 and not the AD100, which I intend to get 2 units as my back & fill lights.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sillbeers15 said:

There is a focus assist LED light from the Godox XproIIL transmitter which you just need to turn ‘on’ from the menu. My limited user experience was that the focus assist light turn on improved dim light environment focusing.

Yes used that too, still waiting and waiting to focus.

17 minutes ago, sillbeers15 said:

I did not encounter the tricky issue of Mode change from M to TTL under uncontrollable situation when I used the XproIIL with AD300. It is likely a software problem as you have mentioned. Also in the Godox website it did not show the V1 as a recommended product for the XproIIL to work with. Perhaps Godox already knew the reason?

There is an update for the V1 to work with Leica trigger...

I have used it with AD 400 and AD 200 and didn't have that many problems.

18 minutes ago, sillbeers15 said:

My experience with the SF60 did not go so well before I started using MG10 as my key light. The SF60 could not handle the load as a key light over sequential shooting. It would overheat and shutdown by itself. MG10 never had that issue. Hence the key light I’ve selected in the Godox pkg is the AD300 and not the AD100, which I intend to get 2 units as my back & fill lights.

Overheating can be a problem, but not in my case I was in candle light and needed a fill.

ISO 6400 , 1/60, F2.  the sufficient light was 1/64 power or less in M mode 

TTL was a big issue. I can wait for a dedicated flash for SL2 from Godox or Profoto.

10 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

ISO 6400 , 1/60, F2.  the sufficient light was 1/64 power or less in M mode 

TTL was a big issue. I can wait for a dedicated flash for SL2 from Godox or Profoto.

Wow. I would not stretch to ISO6400 and use only 1/64 unless for a particular reason relating to ambient lighting condition.

I was hopeful on Godox’s TCM as it provides easy & efficient way into using M mode borrowing TTL setting as starting point. 
SFC-1 has a unacceptable limitation as only TTL can be used in HSS even though I do not prefer to go into HSS unless absolutely necessary.

2 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

I did not encounter the tricky issue of Mode change from M to TTL under uncontrollable situation when I used the XproIIL with AD300.

Thank you for the movie with the instructions. 🙏

I have started testing the trigger today. No problems with the HSS and my AD100 pro and AD200 in the TTL mode in the studio. Will get an AD300 next week and try them all outside for the HSS. As of now, it works in HSS on my CL. But I need more time to get acquainted with the trigger. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the XproIIL does not work in HSS with my Leica S3. The TTL works, but anything shorter than 1/125 seconds makes a black frame. I tested my setup with the AD100Pro.  Curiously enough, even TTL measurements were not consistent frame by frame. As a manual trigger it works well.

5 hours ago, ynp said:

Unfortunately, the XproIIL does not work in HSS with my Leica S3. The TTL works, but anything shorter than 1/125 seconds makes a black frame. I tested my setup with the AD100Pro.  Curiously enough, even TTL measurements were not consistent frame by frame. As a manual trigger it works well.

Write to Kiona Guo @ ‘servicesupport@godox.com’ of Godox Technical support, I hope they can help you. They responded well & fast to my queries.