Optical Viewfinder vs 020 Visoflex

Punkrockemo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am pondering getting a 21mm lens. I would like to get a viewfinder to help frame images but i am not sure what the best option is an optical finder or a the older 020 Visoflex.

On paper the Visoflex has benefit of being able to assist with focusing - i would also be able to use other lens via adaptors , however i rarely see anyone say anything positive about it.

Using an optical finder has inconvenience of framing in one finder and focussing in another

Does anyone have experince that may help    

It all hinges on how much benefit you'll get from being able to use non-M lenses, or from focussing with large aperture lenses to be sure focus is nailed. EVF also has some other benefits such as dealing with flare. Leaving those considerations to one side, in my view a good optical finder can't be beaten.

• Like 1

I’ve used the optical 21 fInders for years, but the 020 gives the exact view of the lens for framing. However, most often I just use the M finder and experience to judge the coverage of the 21. That’s fastest and easiest…

That’s what I did for years with my IIIf and 35mm lens, so I finally got back to it for the 21.

Edited by TomB_tx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Both have benefits -- neither will be "best" unless you can define what that means to you. An EVF will provide more accurate framing, notably without the lens blocking any of the view. An optical finder will provide more accurate rendition of the subject itself: contrast, motion, detail.

Focusing a wide lens, especially a 21mm, is emphatically not a strength of an electronic finder. The rangefinder is fantastic for this. At 21mm, scale focusing is quick and reliable. An EVF, however, will only prove a sanity check for focus with that sort of depth of field.

Personally, I visualize the scene, visualize 35mm crop lines, and frame the camera that way. It took some practice -- prompted by forgetting my optical finder -- but is now as fluid and automatic as manual focusing and metering off neutral objects. When critical framing is essential, I chimp and recompose. 

• Like 1

Choose OVF if you commit into that particular focal length, which is 21mm. The reason is you can use it for all leica M system both film and digital.

Choose visoflex 020 if you don’t have any plan to use any other leica M body other than M10 series body.

• Like 1