Best Non Leica Lenses on Monochrom (M10M)?

Sagar

"what do you mean by "Best" ?

I'm with frame-it on this. I am using a Zeiss 50/1.5 C Sonar and really like it. The B&W rendering looks great to my eye. I also have both a 21 & 28 2.8 Biogons but have not shot enough with either to make a definitive statement.

I hope this helps.

Edited by rpsawin

After well over two years of M10M use, my non-Leica choices would be my 50mm ZM C-Sonnar f1.5 & 35mm VM Nokton III f1.2.

PS - the results from the M10M / C-Sonnar combo always remind me of the results from putting a roll of Tri-X through my M7. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 2:41 PM, Sagar said:

Looking for some advice on best NON LEICA 28, 35 and 50 mm lenses on M10 Monochrom. 

Appreciate your feedback in advance 

"Best" is subjective, so I can't begin to answer your question, it depends on the rendering and look you want.

In my case, my parameters were as much edge-to-edge sharpness and high resolution as possible - with that in mind, I chose a Voigtlander 50mm APO Lanthar, and thoroughly enjoy both its remarkable image quality and excellent construction (eg, really smooth and well-dampened focus ring). 

I used to own the M 50mm APO Summicron.  For me, one benefit of that Leica lens is it is shorter than my Voigtlander, even with the Leica having a built-in hood.  But the Voigtlander remains a small lens IMHO.  And given the Voigtlander's slightly longer length I have been wondering to myself if it's more telecentric in design and as a result might work better (due to light rays hitting the sensor more directly) on non-M bodies like the SL? (I don't know the answer yet to that idea).

I will also be considering a Voigtlander 35mm APO Lanthar in the future.  ReidReviews did an in-depth report comparing it to the Leica M 35mm APO Summicron.

Nikkor 35mm f1.8 LTM

Nikkor 28mm f3.5 LTM

Nikkor 35mm f2.5 LTM

Nikkor 50mm f2 or f1.4 LTM

All the above lenses are great on the MM, and can rival any Leica lens of the same period, while being smaller, and in some cases better looking. On top of that, the 50mm lenses can focus to 0.5m using a system that is similar in practice to the new 35mm APO lens.

• Like 2

'Best' is an ephemeral term.

'Technically best' are probably the 50 and 35 APO ASPH lenses, followed closely by the Voigtlander equivalents. Not being willing at the moment to spend that much on the former, and not caring for the size/performance tradeoffs of the latter, I use the 50 Summilux ASPH and the Voigtlander 35/2 Ultron v.II. (Note the v.II).

Since I have a number of other 35's, such as the 35/2.8 Zeiss (not as good as my Ultron) and the 35/1.4 Zeiss (much better than my 35 Summilux ASPH, but huge), older Summicrons etc I can readily compare. So, if I want a softer look, a Summicron v4 does a good job, or a Voigtlander 35/1.2 first version.

For 50's I have a Noctilux f/1, a couple of Summicrons, and a number of Elmars.

I have a 28, but it rarely gets used. For the 35 or 50 focal length, any are 'best' at some time, and none are 'best' all the time although I could certainly live with the 50 Summilux ASPH and the 35 Ultron v.II if no other lenses were available.

I would highly recommend the 35 or 50mm Voigtlander APO Lanthar. I have the 50 and after extensive self tests in comparison to the latest Leica 50mm APO summicron, I sold the Cron because I could not find enough of a quality difference to warrant the price difference. Sure if the prices were closer I would chose the Cron just strictly for continuity with my kit and familiar ergonomics, but when it comes to IQ and performance. the APO Lanthar is absolutely stellar and IMHO equal to the task. YMMV

PS Selling my Cron allowed me to purchase a much wanted 18mm Super Elmar with the savings along with some new SD cards and an additional Battery for my new M11. It was hard to do but no lingering regrets.

Edited by galleryg
spelling