M240 vs. M-P (typ 240) vs. 262 as first Leica M?

ardy97

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After years of DSLR & digital mirrorless shooting and finally getting to the point in my life where I've got a bit of disposable income, I'm looking to make my first entry into the Leica world. I've never really been a gear guy, but the shooting experience of the Leica really appeals to me, as does the idea of a reliable carry-it-everywhere camera.

While the M10 is a bit out of my price range, it seems like the previous generation still holds up in a lot of ways and deals can be found on the secondary market, which leads me to deciding between the M240, M-P (typ 240), and the M262.

Video doesn't matter to me and I barely use live view on my Canon 5D, so I don't see myself missing out on the features of the 240 or M-P, but the cameras all seem to be going for similar prices on the used market, so the initial price difference of the 262 seems to have been mitigated

Anyways, what would you recommend to someone looking to get their feet wet here?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome here.

As happy user of M(typ 262) myself and long ago happy user of Canon 5D,

if you can find M262, this will be good (not best over the other two which mainly have same sensor and output) to begin in Leica M world.

M262 is lighter to carry and battery can last much longer without chimping, LV and video.

With same lens, the three can give mostly same results.

I think that you neglict choice of lens to be in use.

This can become the most critical and (more) expensive part.

As first lens first, ...then the body to hold it.

same question as this thread (link)

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Add the M60 body to the list, no screen, no menus, iso set on the back of the camera.  It will tell you the battery status and card status. It's a hard-core camera and once freed of screens and menus the digital experience is more like film, including delayed viewing of images.  

The images from the 240 series cameras continue to be excellent almost ten years after introduction.  The M-P added a larger buffer and a preview lever.  I find advantages over newer bodies (M10 and M11) with easier menus, more direct buttons and a larger battery.  

As mentioned above the lens is important, it is also important that your body and lens play well together, i.e. the focus is accurate with the rangefinder.  It is easy to check on all the bodies you mention but easier with live view.  A good Leica dealer is invaluable with getting the right equipment that is functioning properly, more so than other brands.  

• Like 1

M240 or M-P, personally I love silver chrome and the P version has nicer silver color tint (regular 240 has warmer tint), and I actually didn't like the red dot.

P version does have some upgrades over the regular ones, namely bugger buffer and saffire display glass, and frame line preview lever.

Live view offer you to use ultra wides without the need of additional viewfinder, and useful when you want to check if rangefinder agreeing with the live view.

262 does offer slightly quieter shutter and lighter body, though.

• Like 2

Welcome ardy97...

I'm still enjoying my M-P typ 240 with my 2 M8's, and don't really have any desire for another full frame digital Leica.  The extra specs or redesigns makes no difference to me.

The M-P has been fabulous for using many after-market lenses which I've collected over 45 years, particularly enjoying some of my old Nikkor Zoom lenses.  And of course for macro the Micro Nikkor 55mm f3.5.  Numerous Canon, Pentax and others also.

So the visoflex is important for me and works well enough for sure.

Good luck with your hunt.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M-P 240s are around $3,000.  The preview lever and larger buffer would sway me to an M-P.  Black paint or chrome, as you prefer, but black paint tends to hold its value (but can be a bit more expensive at purchase).  As long as you get a cared-for camera, they are a bargain and about fully depreciated, meaning they won't get much cheaper so you won't take a big financial hit if you decide to upgrade.  I personally never used Live View because my lenses were M mount.  With a 21mm I use a hotshoe finder.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.  

Hello Bob,

Quite right ...

I see much more (or less !), no LV possibility, quieter shutter, no holes for microphone, cut out at one end M9 style, smaller red logo, dedicated WB button, two pages menu,

nothing big differences but for me definitely not same "philosophy" with small cosmetics, "up/down-grade".

for me from top M262 is close to film M

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

front look is handsome (more than M240)

🙂

• Like 2

21 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

a.noctilux said: "for me from top M262 is close to film M...front look is handsome (more than M240)"

I'm with you 100%. I have two full frame digital M's: m262 and M10-M. Both provide a very film-like experience and I love it.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 6:33 PM, ardy97 said:

After years of DSLR & digital mirrorless shooting and finally getting to the point in my life where I've got a bit of disposable income, I'm looking to make my first entry into the Leica world. I've never really been a gear guy, but the shooting experience of the Leica really appeals to me, as does the idea of a reliable carry-it-everywhere camera.

While the M10 is a bit out of my price range, it seems like the previous generation still holds up in a lot of ways and deals can be found on the secondary market, which leads me to deciding between https://omegle.onl/ https://vshare.onl/ the M240, M-P (typ 240), and the M262.

Video doesn't matter to me and I barely use live view on my Canon 5D, so I don't see myself missing out on the features of the 240 or M-P, but the cameras all seem to be going for similar prices on the used market, so the initial price difference of the 262 seems to have been mitigated

Anyways, what would you recommend to someone looking to get their feet wet here?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I got this,...

• 5 weeks later...

Can speak directly to this topic as I just went through the same decision making process. I am a long time film shooter and the form factor of Leica M bodies is one of the most compelling parts of photography for me. A friend of mine was selling his mint condition M8 with 6 bit 50mm Elmar for an amazing price, and with film prices going through the rough I thought it would be a nice time to ty a digital M. Suffice to say I loved it. The M8 is actually a wonderful camera, despite the crop factor. The sensor renders very film like and the experience of using the camera itself feels so similar to using an M7 for example. I used the M8 for about 6 months and decided it would be nice to upgrade so I began looking at M10's and M10-P bodies. Those still felt a little too expensive for my needs, and I came across a MINT locally available M-P 240 in black paint with full boxes and documents. Ended up paying about $2200 for it and I absolutely love it. The shutter is so quiet, and the the buffer is great for my needs. The images are tremendous and it really took my photography to another level being able to freely shoot as many photos as I can without worrying about the cost of film and chemicals. I think the M-P specifically is the singular best value in M cameras. 

I will likely still get an M10-P when one presents itself. I really only like the P versions as I cant stand the red dot on the front of the camera. The added silence of the shutters is a bonus.