leica m11

aral70

For me it was worth it for the magnificent sensor and resolution alone:

1. One of my annoyances with the M10-P was having moire issues quite regularly that I was spending a lot of time fixing in Lightroom. There's a good reason why other manufacturers put AA filters on 24mp sensors (I think that Leica couldn't do it to keep the thickness down?) Anyway, no moire so far with the M11.

2. I was spoiled by the big raw files from my Nikon D850 and found it hard going to back to 24mp. It's not that I make massive prints, but the resolution gives me so much flexibility in post processing - cropping, perspective adjustments, lens corrections etc all take away from the resolution you start with.

All the other benefits like better battery life, display, metering, and so on are just cherries on top.

21 hours ago, kona said:

For me it was worth it for the magnificent sensor and resolution alone:

1. One of my annoyances with the M10-P was having moire issues quite regularly that I was spending a lot of time fixing in Lightroom. There's a good reason why other manufacturers put AA filters on 24mp sensors (I think that Leica couldn't do it to keep the thickness down?) Anyway, no moire so far with the M11.

2. I was spoiled by the big raw files from my Nikon D850 and found it hard going to back to 24mp. It's not that I make massive prints, but the resolution gives me so much flexibility in post processing - cropping, perspective adjustments, lens corrections etc all take away from the resolution you start with.

All the other benefits like better battery life, display, metering, and so on are just cherries on top.

I can still get moire on the M11 quite easily with a lampshade or window/door screen pattern in the shot. We're going to need ~200mp (per Jim Kasson's testing of the Q2M versus the GFX 100S) to reduce aliasing to the same low level as a monochrome sensor. It's for sure better than the 24mp sensors without AA, though, like you said.

23 hours ago, aral70 said:

dry question switch from leica M10-P to leica 11 who did it opinions?

Definitely the battery and usb c port for multipurposes such as charging, tethering and transferring file to ipad easier

for everything else, as long as you love your M10-P, nothing you going to dislike unless missing the baseplate

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

?

In Lightroom, that would be Horizontal and Vertical Perspective adjustments. An image with a higher resolution should yield better results on those transformations. Similarly, noise reduction is supposed to work better with higher resolution images.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, SrMi said:

In Lightroom, that would be Horizontal and Vertical Perspective adjustments. An image with a higher resolution should yield better results on those transformations. Similarly, noise reduction is supposed to work better with higher resolution images.

Perspective adjustments?  You only change perspective by moving the camera …

Edited by IkarusJohn

6 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

Perspective adjustments?  You only change perspective by moving the camera …

That is what the sliders are called in Lightroom. Lightroom has also an Exposure slider, though you do not change the exposure when moving it :).

43 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

Odd

Maybe I didn't use the correct term (I think Leica calls it Perspective Control in the menu), but as SrMi figured out I was talking about these adjustments that can change converging lines to parallel - the digital equivalent of a shift lens. As this stretches part of the image you are losing some effective resolution in that part.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hdmesa said:

I can still get moire on the M11 quite easily with a lampshade or window/door screen pattern in the shot. We're going to need ~200mp (per Jim Kasson's testing of the Q2M versus the GFX 100S) to reduce aliasing to the same low level as a monochrome sensor. It's for sure better than the 24mp sensors without AA, though, like you said.

Maybe I have just been lucky so far, or my lenses are not sharp enough, but I am happy with the improvement.

Edited by kona

27 minutes ago, kona said:

Maybe I didn't use the correct term (I think Leica calls it Perspective Control in the menu), but as SrMi figured out I was talking about these adjustments that can change converging lines to parallel - the digital equivalent of a shift lens. As this stretches part of the image you are losing some effective resolution in that part.

Both Lightroom and Photoshop have tools to address ‘perspective distortions’.  Linear perspective changes only by camera/subject distance, but distortions (the commonly used term) can arise under various circumstances.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_distortion_(photography)

Jeff

3 hours ago, kona said:

Maybe I have just been lucky so far, or my lenses are not sharp enough, but I am happy with the improvement.

The sensor stack would be too thick with an AA-filter anyway (for ideal IQ with M lenses), so with every resolution jump, we do get less aliasing. I don't shoot a lot of fabrics that provoke moire, so I'm happy so far as well.

On 6/17/2022 at 2:34 PM, aral70 said:

dry question switch from leica M10-P to leica 11 who did it opinions?

I have both.  Love the big file, internal memory, battery and card, electronic (extended) shutter, and improved visoflex.  It is better all around.  Having said that I still love the M10P and usually carry them both.

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

The sensor stack would be too thick with an AA-filter anyway (for ideal IQ with M lenses), so with every resolution jump, we do get less aliasing. I don't shoot a lot of fabrics that provoke moire, so I'm happy so far as well.

Landscapes are also known to produce moire, though not always easily noticeable.

5 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Landscapes are also known to produce moire, though not always easily noticeable.

I've gotten aliasing jaggies on the GFX 50mp for landscapes, but so far none of that nor moire for what I shoot. But I don't shoot landscapes with things that provoke it like grain silos, certain building roof patterns, etc. I have seen it on some adobe textures if shot at close distance.

4 hours ago, mikelevitt said:

Ho entrambi. Adoro il file di grandi dimensioni, la memoria interna, la batteria e la scheda, l'otturatore elettronico (esteso) e il visoflex migliorato. È meglio tutto intorno. Detto questo, amo ancora l'M10P e di solito li porto entrambi.

I can't afford both of them
thank you